The Math of Fishing and Hunting

farsider

I fish with a group of friends and we team fish, 2 or 3 boats for Walleye. We always catch more fish sharing areas, depth, tackle and technique than the group I go in spring with where everything is a secret. It's funny though when we are very successful team fishing there is usually 1 boat that shares less and less the more they catch, usually the most successful boat. The group eventually breaks down and everyone goes solo. Greed must be human nature. Any real or hobby sociologists here?

I don't hunt but my impression is people usually "team Hunt" and share the bounty. Guys that Deer Hunt solo tend not to share their kill.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I guarded my southern Ontario hunting spots, mainly cause of the effort to get permission from the landowner and didn't want any loogans coming in and wrecking it for me. I'll share fishing spots over the radio for here today gone tomorrow suspended fish like Lake Ontario salmonoides or Erie Pickeral and perch, that mid lake hump that always produces on a smaller inland lake I'll take to the grave. I suspect most operate in a similar fashion,

I have fished with many people and the courtesy that we pay to each other is I will take you to all of my top producing spots but ask that you not bring a boat load of people to it in the future. I will give you the same courtesy if you are having a hard day and you want to return to the spots that is fine. A Guide up North was nice enough to help me add to my map up North and in return I showed him a few that he hadn't seen before. He fishes it all season and I fish the areas for a week if someone at the lodge is having a hard week I will give them a few of my spots but the ones shared with me are sacred. I don't want to be the guy that goes fishing with you and you go to crappy spots that day because you think I might damage them for future trips. Real or not it is that belief that makes people decide if they want you back in their boat for future trips.

Art

I guarded my southern Ontario hunting spots, mainly cause of the effort to get permission from the landowner and didn't want any loogans coming in and wrecking it for me. I'll share fishing spots over the radio for here today gone tomorrow suspended fish like Lake Ontario salmonoides or Erie Pickeral and perch, that mid lake hump that always produces on a smaller inland lake I'll take to the grave. I suspect most operate in a similar fashion,

Hunting and fishing are two different things. I too gaurded my hunting spots. Shared only with one or two I totally trusted. Fishing on the other hand, well they are here, they are there. Have at,er.