2019-2020 Hockey Thread

18 hours ago, Raf said:

Where have you been last couple of seasons? We have had to put up with Matt's incessant babbling for a while now.

I'm sure it's coincidental he is nowhere to be found that the turd's free fall has commenced

I'm still here, been sick and busy with work.....heck even went to the grey cup game and watched the Ughos win!! UGH!!

Toronto doesn't deserve to win anything that doesn't require a trip to the doctor for a needle lol

5 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

I'm still here, been sick and busy with work.....heck even went to the grey cup game and watched the Ughos win!! UGH!!

Toronto doesn't deserve to win anything that doesn't require a trip to the doctor for a needle lol

Hey Matt, do you work at the ACC putting the Leaf goals up on the scoreboard? You always get busy when the Leafs are winning. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, grimsbylander said:

Hey Matt, do you work at the ACC putting the Leaf goals up on the scoreboard? You always get busy when the Leafs are winning. :rolleyes:

Nope! LOL

It's not so much the laffs winning as it is the Sens in a slump! 

Oh and wifey has me rebuilding the kitchen....ugh....IKEA sucks!

Was just perusing the standings.

Things are looking pretty bleak for Canadian teams at this point.

The only Canadian teams in a playoff spot are Toronto & Winnipeg.

All the teams West or East of those two are out at this point. :(

I still can't believe the Oilers are so bad with all the #1 draft picks they have had. :unsure:

trying being a leafs and oilers fan lol

At least Toronto finally has something to show for it. The oilers have been ugly since their cup run. I cant wait for Toronto to make a deep playoff run. its soooo overdue.

Theres something to be said though for all of this. Something magical really, The jays looked like they could do it but fell short, the raptors have come close but cant quite seal the deal. Every canadian team has had their run now since 93 and failed...I said this like 10 years ago and its still coming close, Edmonton honestly had me nervous...but im still in the running...the next cup coming home is coming to Toronto.

37 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

I've been saying for weeks that I can't believe there hasn't been a major shakeup in Edmonton. At this point their entire season is at stake. 

See what happens when you have an abundance of great forwards and mediocre defence? Pay attention Toronto. 

Aren't the Oilers still in a rebuild? They still have the ability to be a good team. The same thing can happen to the Leaf

team at any time.

44 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Aren't the Oilers still in a rebuild? They still have the ability to be a good team. The same thing can happen to the Leaf

team at any time.

I believe I just said that. 

I don't think Edmonton can use the rebuild excuse for where they are. They got their initial first round pick 7 years ago and have had 4 total in that period. All this plus their rebuild started long before the Taylor Hall pick in 2010. 

28 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

I believe I just said that. 

I don't think Edmonton can use the rebuild excuse for where they are. They got their initial first round pick 7 years ago and have had 4 total in that period. All this plus their rebuild started long before the Taylor Hall pick in 2010. 

Sorry Grimsbylander, you did say that. Okay, they're in a perpetual rebuild, I think they are trying to rebuild around McDavid and like you said, the Leaf team should take notice.

15 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Sorry Grimsbylander, you did say that. Okay, they're in a perpetual rebuild, I think they are trying to rebuild around McDavid and like you said, the Leaf team should take notice.

No problem. 

"Perpetual rebuild" is well put. As far as rebuilds go, I see the Leafs as playing well above their station but the Oilers are playing well below. I know it's not black and white but the timeline for a rebuild has to better than 7+ years and still not making the playoffs...first picks aside. If the Leafs are still struggling to make the playoffs in 2023 with one first overall pick I'll be more than a little disappointed. Babcock rocks.

I dont know if i agree with the statement that the leafs are playing "above" their station. I think this just has everything to do with good goaltending and fantastic coaching.

Theres a reason Scotty Bowman was in the cup finals like 100 times.

As far as goaltending goes? Anderson is the real deal...and thats huge. Look at Montreal if you want to see how important good goaltending is. 

So you think the Leafs are right where they should be given the time into their rebuild process? No surprises? Not me, I'm surprised how well they're doing and fully appreciate the fact it could slip away tomorrow. A hot goalie is not a rebuild plan and neither is 40+ shots a night. 

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

So you think the Leafs are right where they should be given the time into their rebuild process? No surprises? Not me, I'm surprised how well they're doing and fully appreciate the fact it could slip away tomorrow. A hot goalie is not a rebuild plan and neither is 40+ shots a night. 

yes absolutely, i expected them to be close to contending but not quite there yet. A few fixes on D and i can honestly say they are ready to win. They without a doubt now have the offense and goaltending  of a championship caliber team. Bring in some defensive help and get the kids playing in their zone a bit better (they are 20 years old at the moment and still learning) and the shot numbers decrease and youve got a team that is right there with the best of them. Especially this seaon, we have seen a pile of regression from the typical leaders and thats exactly what is supposed to happen in a cap system. Washington is decimated because of the cap, P burgh has won twice in a row and has also lost a lot of key guys plus i will say they lack a bit of the "drive" after winning twice.

Challenge...name 6 teams better than the leafs right now? Tampa, St Louis, perhaps nashville....that about sums it up. Crazy when you really think about it!

Edited by AKRISONER

1 minute ago, AKRISONER said:

yes absolutely, i expected them to be close to contending but not quite there yet. A few fixes on D and i can honestly say they are ready to win. They without a doubt now have the offense and goaltending  of a championship caliber team. Bring in some defensive help and the shot numbers decrease and youve got a team that is right there with the best of them. Especially this seaon, we have seen a pile of regression from the typical leaders and thats exactly what is supposed to happen in a cap system.

Challenge...name 6 teams better than the leafs right now? Tampa, St Louis, perhaps nashville....that about sums it up. Crazy when you really think about it!

Better how? Better in the standings? I know what you're saying and hey, I'm a Leaf fan too, but I also know that Anderson has carried the Leafs in the last month and no team should be talking championships with that kind of volatility. You mentioned Montreal, great example of no goalie..no wins. I just think the current standings are lulling people into a false sense of security and the team that can make a serious run at a cup is more than a few acquisitions away. Hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Better how? Better in the standings? I know what you're saying and hey, I'm a Leaf fan too, but I also know that Anderson has carried the Leafs in the last month and no team should be talking championships with that kind of volatility. You mentioned Montreal, great example of no goalie..no wins. I just think the current standings are lulling people into a false sense of security and the team that can make a serious run at a cup is more than a few acquisitions away. Hope I'm wrong.

Im curious, where would you improve in order to try make a run...obviously defense, so lets say they get a number 1 guy and maybe another top 4 D man. Do you not see them as contenders then?

30 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Im curious, where would you improve in order to try make a run...obviously defense, so lets say they get a number 1 guy and maybe another top 4 D man. Do you not see them as contenders then?

Gee, you made that sound so easy! LOL Yes defense of course and two players would be the minimum. I think Marleau is a fantastic addition but I'd like to see another veteran added up front. Those are the guys that bring stability to a team during playoffs. Look at Nylander and Marner right now... both fantastic players, love them, but their points production is very inconsistent. So I think we're more than a one or two D-man away. Some more experience for these young players will go a long way when it's time for the big show. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and they go deep this spring. :good:

16 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I wish they had picked up Jagr.

He would be a great mentor even if he's lost a step with age.

if you cant find a spot for excellent players like Leivo and Kapanen to play, jagr definitely doesnt have a spot on the roster.

Their depth at forward is unparalleled. They friggin have Marleau playing on the 4th line!!!