2019-2020 Hockey Thread

Look at the Polak hit again.. He hits him square in the hips.Jock to hip the kid turned his upper body the hit was clean. The 5 min pp was Bull .....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/polak-given-gate-drilling-bjorkstrand-behind/

Yep. That was super fast though. Like I said polak was committed and already turned his head to brace.

Don cherry will bring this one up for sure!

Don't turn like this kids.

He's actually really lucky he was that close to the boards. Could have been nasty a few feet out

Yeah not to sure why he didn't put someone in the box.

heres what they discussed on talk radio...if you put someone in the box early...say a guy like Matt Martin who obviously didnt play that entire PK anyways...youd think whats the loss?

Well the strategy here is that when the PK ends you could potentially be trapped in your zone and need that guy coming out of the box to be strong defensively...hence you dont put matt martin in the box and gamble.

Babs did an interview post game and said I will never do that again ahhaha.

heres what they discussed on talk radio...if you put someone in the box early...say a guy like Matt Martin who obviously didnt play that entire PK anyways...youd think whats the loss?

Well the strategy here is that when the PK ends you could potentially be trapped in your zone and need that guy coming out of the box to be strong defensively...hence you dont put matt martin in the box and gamble.

Yeah he was pretty embarrassed by that call. That's the only time I've ever seen that done, I think? At first I was freaking out like why is the penalty just continuing lol.

A hearing over polaks hit is rediculous. 5 minutes was too much.

And nylander just keeps improving. I know he's kinda in the shadows but boy is he something special

Also, so impressed when marner blocked a shot, obviously hurt, and continued to play until he could get off. I love seeing that

I didn't see the game. Was it 6:55 from whistle to whistle or did Babcock keep rolling the dice as the penalty got closer to being over?

I didn't realize you had the option of not putting a guy in the box, I always thought it was mandatory....learn something new every day. Who'd have thought they would go 7 minutes whistle free though?? The Jackets did make a couple of really heads up plays on the icing non-calls though to extend it as long as they did.

I didn't see the game. Was it 6:55 from whistle to whistle or did Babcock keep rolling the dice as the penalty got closer to being over?

No, he rolled the dice. Super gnarly penalty kill too. The first 4 mins or so was smooth sailing, they never set up and never got one shot on net, then it got crazy. We couldn't get a whistle for anything. I forget who it was but someone got the puck, rushed out and instead of chancing it, flicked the puck into the bluejackets bench, vet move

Just watching the Babcock post game interview and it sounds like they just messed up and forgot to put a guy in. He took the blame for the whole thing but promised Leafs Nation that it will never happen again.

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/video/mike-babcock-32217/t-277437436/c-50657303

Edited by G.mech

No, he rolled the dice. Super gnarly penalty kill too. The first 4 mins or so was smooth sailing, they never set up and never got one shot on net, then it got crazy. We couldn't get a whistle for anything. I forget who it was but someone got the puck, rushed out and instead of chancing it, flicked the puck into the bluejackets bench, vet move

It was Boyle who did that. :good::good:

2 games for polak whaaaaaaaaaat

Yep

Whatta crock. And I say that unbiased.

Dood turned, last second, the wrong way.

He got hurt, that sucks. But it's on him, not polak

In the video, you can even see polak gets ready for impact with his head turned and can't even see the guy make a last second turn.

Looking at the Polak hit a few more times, I don't think Bjorkstand knew Polak was in pursuit and the hit was coming when he cut back, regardless, I don't think there should have been a suspension, Bjork cut back and Polak isn't that type of player.

I like putting a skilled guy who doesn't play the PK in the box, like they did with Kessel and now sometimes do with Marner, because when the door opens there's a chance for a stretch pass and a breakaway.