Value of ETEC 150 HO

Spanky80

I have a 2010 Stratos 285XL DC with a 2010 Evinrude ETEC 150 HO. The price of new boats has gone from unaffordable to insane, and this boat does everything we want, so I am considering selling the outboard motor and re-powering to either the upcoming Mercury Pro-XS 150 four-stroke or the G2 ETEC 150 HO.

I am having some difficulty in coming up with an asking price for this engine. My dealer already has a slightly used 2014 ETEC 150 in the showroom and doesn't want mine on trade.

It is a 2010, approximately 250 hours, never tournament fished, and has led an easy life. It is in very good condition, with a 24" Raker II prop, BRP concealed throttle, oil tank, and has all BRP services done with the exception of the three-year gearcase oil change...I am old school and have changed it out every fall. It also had a second replaceable water-separating filter with canister added to the boat, as I know ethanol/water is not good for these direct-injected two-strokes.

Can anyone suggest what this engine might be worth before I list it in the next couple months?

I am having some difficulty in coming up with an asking price for this engine. My dealer already has a slightly used 2014 ETEC 150 in the showroom and doesn't want mine on trade.

I have no idea on asking price, but it seems your local dosent want your bussiness. Well he does, but not your motor. You would think he would want to make some cash on both ends of the deal. Shp around. Im sure theres a deal to be made some where near you.

I have no idea on asking price, but it seems your local dosent want your bussiness. Well he does, but not your motor. You would think he would want to make some cash on both ends of the deal. Shp around. Im sure theres a deal to be made some where near you.

I agree to an extent Brian B, I wasn't real pleased after talking to them about this, I was also quoted over $16,000 on a current Mercury 150 four-stroke, which I assume is full MSRP, especially how they know how fussy I am and how I take care of my stuff. Having said that, I am willing to extend a bit of a "mulligan" to this dealer, I and my family have dealt there since the 1960's,and they have been very good to me. Not always the best price, but the best service.

Having said that, when it comes time for me to move ahead with this, I'd pay more within reason for the new engine but I won't be paying MSRP from anyone...and I always shop around to make sure I am being treated fairly.

Edited by Spanky

Why upgrade. Just keep running that one.

It may run perfect another ten years.

True, and it may not. It was out of warranty 2015 May. I generally have traded every 5 to 6 years or so, but the cost of new boats is beyond insane.

Don Hyde Marine in Hagersville On. had a brand new 2015 ETEC 150 HP on for $9500.00. Not sure if it came with controls.

By the way we had a camp down river from you years back in Westmeath. 2 of the guys moved there from Hamilton when they retired from the Steel Company. Gods country for sure. I miss it.

By the way we had a camp down river from you years back in Westmeath. 2 of the guys moved there from Hamilton when they retired from the Steel Company. Gods country for sure. I miss it.

It sure is Ironmaker. I'm on the Pembroke side, I grew up on the river exploring the endless bays and inlets. Its a different world now out there unfortunately, but I still wouldn't trade it for anything.

Edited by Spanky

Getting nervous without warranty?

Its been a while since I've owned an outboard without warranty. I am becoming more and more sold on the four-stroke, I am on my third Ski-Doo 1200cc four-stroke and have no intention of going back to a two-stroke sled. I'm not the Al Gore tree-hugging forest fairy type whatsoever, I'm just liking the smooth running low maintenance and other characteristics of the four-strokes, and they hold their value better. I don't like keeping something until it is worth nothing.

My Stratos and ETEC have been babied, and the boat just suits us for the fishing that we do, its in mint condition. Seems like a waste to spend the amount of money to "upgrade" to a new package (how we got to a point where $40,000 plus for a well equipped 17.5 aluminum boat with a 115 is beyond me).

I've upgraded the electronics to Humminbird 859's, and will soon be selling the Minn Kota 80 lb iPilot and upgrade to a new one.

I think you should stop babying it so much and start running it. Those ETEC like to run balls to the walls.Forget a trade with the dealers some of them will just insult you with their low offer. Sell private or keep it.

I will probably go the private sale route, I know I will come out better as opposed to trading it in. Just need to figure out what its worth.

Sounds like you take care of your stuff.

I know in the end you're going to do what you are going to do, but to me it makes no sense financially or practically to sell your outboard and buy a Merc 150 4 stroke.

Not a fan of the 150 Merc four-stroke Chris?

I'm not ruling out one of the new 2017 2.7L G2 ETEC 150's, will see what price I can get and the promotions/warranty that they have. I have also heard that there will be a 150 Pro-XS four-stroke Merc for 2017, so it comes down to those two. I'm not totally brand loyal.

As I said, just have to come up with a value of my current engine.

It sure is Ironmaker. I'm on the Pembroke side, I grew up on the river exploring the endless bays and inlets. Its a different world now out there unfortunately, but I still wouldn't trade it for anything.

Had a few interesting evenings in Fort Coulonge. The camp was on that lake. Bellows Bay was a fish factory then.

Can't speak to a value because it all comes down to condition, but if I were you, I'd try to sell it asap. Evinrude officially unveiled that new 150 E-TEC to its dealer network last night in Milwaukee, along with the new G2 150 HO, 175 and 200. They're in production now and will be in dealer showrooms by late October - early November.

I spent most of yesterday driving some early production models of each, before the official unveiling at the Wisconsin Center last night. The 150 has a ton of torque, and the 150 H.O. is almost on par with the 175. Same coloured side panels as the original G2s, plus now you can get it in camo. The new G2s apparently kick out the lowest emissions in their horsepower class, and are a bit better than the original 200HO - 300 G2 line from two years ago.

The unveiling was crazy, they had a whole stage show with engines lowered from the ceiling ... at one point they even lowered a twin-engined pontoon boat down from the rafters. It definitely made an impression!

You can read more about the new engines here http://www.boatingbusiness.ca/news/article/004483/Evinrude-Unveils-New-E-TEC-G2-Engines

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Can't speak to a value because it all comes down to condition, but if I were you, I'd try to sell it asap. Evinrude officially unveiled that new 150 E-TEC to its dealer network last night in Milwaukee, along with the new G2 150 HO, 175 and 200. They're in production now and will be in dealer showrooms by late October - early November.

I spent most of yesterday driving some early production models of each, before the official unveiling at the Wisconsin Center last night. The 150 has a ton of torque, and the 150 H.O. is almost on par with the 175. Same coloured side panels as the original G2s, plus now you can get it in camo. The new G2s apparently kick out the lowest emissions in their horsepower class, and are a bit better than the original 200HO - 300 G2 line from two years ago.

The unveiling was crazy, they had a whole stage show with engines lowered from the ceiling ... at one point they even lowered a twin-engined pontoon boat down from the rafters. It definitely made an impression!

You can read more about the new engines here http://www.boatingbusiness.ca/news/article/004483/Evinrude-Unveils-New-E-TEC-G2-Engines

Nice they put on a good show, but i would wait till the issues are worked out first, as with anything new, there will be issues, whether its cars, electronics, and boat motors

Why exactly do you want to get rid of the engine?

Is it because you are afraid of having a large repair bill? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend thousands of dollars to repower with a new engine to avoid the possibility of a large repair bill in the future. The new engine will come off warranty in a few years too; then you will be back to square one.

All great comments guys, thanks for your responses. I understand what you are saying.

I'm not used to not having warranty on my boat engine, and yes I guess I am a bit paranoid after hearing of powerhead failures.

To me, instead of spending $22,000 plus to buy a new package, I can spend around $9,000 and have a great package with a new engine and minimum 5 years of warranty on it. As stated I love the boat, and it is immaculate.