Show off your "Tin Boat"

BassMan11

After reading Bunk's last post I got to thinking about how far my simple 14' aluminum boat has come since the time I bought it about 3 years ago. After selling my first boat which was a 14' Thornes with a 5.5 evinrude on the back of it, it was onto the hunt for a new fishing machine.

The eventual winner was a 1994 Sylvan Sea Snapper. 14' long in length with a 68" beam, a decent floor already built in and some comfy functional seats. A trade in at Bay City Marine, It was exactly what I was looking for for the small to medium size lakes I like to fish.

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

After taking it out for it's initial test run there were 2 things that were became apparent:

1 - It was water tight, not 1 leaky rivet (bonus!)

2 - My 1978 Johnson 9.9 outboard would not be the best fit for this big heavy boat.

So the hunt was on for a new outboard. As you can tell from the pictures, it is a short shaft transom an with the max HP rating at 35ph it would be quite a daunting task to find a short shaft motor that size. After a few month of looking I found her. A 1998 Honda 30hp 4 stroke short shaft outboard. It gets the job quite done nicely popping 2 people up on plate very quickly and hitting a top speed of 27 mph. Only issue I have with it is that it is NOT electric start.... luckily she usually starts 2nd pull.

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Over the next 3 years I have added to this boat essentially making it the equivalent of a "poor man's bass boat". At this point I really don't have much more to add to it. I can just enjoy fishing the lakes around the Ottawa area in comfort. The following are the additions.

New front casting deck and trolling motor platform

Rocker panel for most electronics with own group 24 battery in the storage compartment.

2 Lowrance Elite 7 HDI for the tiller and bow of the boat w/ram mounts

55lb Minnkota Terrova with Ipilot including onboard 6 amp charger and 60amp breaker. All ran by a group 29 deep cycle under the casting deck.

New Wise grey and white seats

Pedestal mounted passenger seat

Livewell in the front seat with bilge pump ran back to the rocker panel

Bilge pump and navigation lighting

Space made for Plane 3700 cases

New trailer LED trailer lights, winch post assembly and spare tire mount

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

A lot of times I feel like I am putting lipstick on a pig with all of these higher end additions, but quickly remember I can remove them all quite easily and install them on my next boat. At the end of the day I do not have a expendable income to buy my dream rig at this time.. so the SS Snapper will do quite nicely for now. She gets me out on the water and has never been skunked... what more can I ask for?

Let's see who else has a poor man's bass boat.

Bassman11

This was pretty much what my boat looked like when I got it in 1991.

I've done a few things since. ;)

starboardrear.jpg

First was paint and carpet.

P6070004.jpg

P6070005.jpg

P6070008.jpg

Then it was a new steering system and a complete rebuild of my helm area.

What started looking like this.

old.jpg

I transformed into this.

front.jpg

reverse.jpg

new.jpg

new2.jpg

Next it was time to get rid of my 1st gen Minnkota Autopilot and put something a little better in.

MinnKota2.jpg

Boat_5.jpg

Next it was time to re-power. Out with the 1991 90hp 2 stroke and replace with 2013 115hp 4 stroke, jack plate, smart tabs and Smart craft gauges.

P6070125_zps61feef5a.jpg

P6260001_zps8385d543.jpg

Subhunter_zpsf3b62e79.jpg

Gotta switch out the seating next.

Yeah I know, not really a tinny but it is aluminium. :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

Nice tinner. I've fished out of tiller boats for years, some more deluxe than others. I picked up my first used side console last year. This Lund SSV was my all time favorite. Sold to a buddy, and I still miss it! He is still enjoying it!

7566c4cd.jpg

The work station at the time.

df885aa6.jpg

I had a lot of fun in that rig, it was 16 feet long and would take more water than I could without losing my lunch. I fished all over the province in it, and never felt outgunned even on the Great Lakes. I'm of the opinion you can't have too many toys on a boat. You only live once!

@BassMan11

Very nice set up, reminds me of mine and I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

I had a Honda 40 hung off the back and loved that motor.

By chance have you replaced the timing belt lately?

These are interference engines and if the belt lets go, even jumping one tooth; it'll bend the valves.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/honda/manuals/bf25d30d.html#/62

Go to page 3-17 and read the caution at the bottom. That will confirm that it is an interference engine.

IMG_0705.jpg

It doesn't look all that old from the pic; you can still read the stamping?

But for the cost of a belt; it's a good piece of insurance to replace it .

Dan.

Picked up the Princecraft Pro 142 last September in very very poor condition.. Wasn't expecting much for $1500.00. Best of all, it didn't leak a drop. Took my time over the winter months to get it looking like this.. Motor was purchased afterwards as I sold the old Johnson 30hp it came with.. We used it over the may long weekend, only out for 4 hours and it was tough getting back into a 14 footer again.. Everything new in it.. Love the aluminum boats, 5 being Princecrafts of the years.

775.jpg

773.jpg

771.jpg

Found this last Friday and it stole my heart.. I've always like this model and it was exceptionally clean.. I mean this thing is mint !!! Talked and talked to the sales rep and we scored a deal we were all happy with.. Took the Pro 142 and traded it in. Motor is being rigged 115 Hp Merc and new gauges put in.. Wife is happier, I'm extremely happy.. She'll be ready in a couple weeks..

20160610_135142_resized.jpg

20160610_135150_resized.jpg

20160610_135131_resized_1.jpg

So this is my tinner.. I tried getting back into a small boat but the back breaking waves on the wife were not going to make our trips enjoyable.. Not for her anyway !!

Edited by tizfun

This was pretty much what my boat looked like when I got it in 1991.

I've done a few things since. ;)

starboardrear.jpg

First was paint and carpet.

P6070004.jpg

P6070005.jpg

P6070008.jpg

Then it was a new steering system and a complete rebuild of my helm area.

What started looking like this.

old.jpg

I transformed into this.

front.jpg

reverse.jpg

new.jpg

new2.jpg

Next it was time to get rid of my 1st gen Minnkota Autopilot and put something a little better in.

MinnKota2.jpg

Boat_5.jpg

Next it was time to re-power. Out with the 1991 90hp 2 stroke and replace with 2013 115hp 4 stroke, jack plate, smart tabs and Smart craft gauges.

P6070125_zps61feef5a.jpg

P6260001_zps8385d543.jpg

Subhunter_zpsf3b62e79.jpg

Gotta switch out the seating next.

Yeah I know, not really a tinny but it is aluminium. :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

Dave your fishing machine is my favourite I have seen on this site. It must fly with that 115 on it. I don't however see an ice breaker attachment on the bow so you can get it in the water.