Renting a parking spot for boat

lakerguy

I have a boat only access cottage in northern Ontario. I decided last season to rent a parking spot at a outfitter close to the boat launch for my boat instead of towing it home every trip. My family members use my boat while at the cottage. Last summer the outfitter owner gave my family members a bit of grief,saying they didn't pay him for the use of the parking spot. I paid for the spot thinking that the payment went with the boat,not with who was using the boat. If that's the case the parking spot would have been paid for by 4 family members for one boat. Just trying to get my head around if I'm in the wrong here....

If there's only ever one car parked in your spot at a time, then I don't see a problem (Shouldn't matter whos car it is) I'd probably call the outfitter and figure out what his/her issue is.

Edited by BillM

If the boat trailer remains on the property after launching and you park a car beside the boat trailer or elsewhere on the property, there's 2 spots taken up.

If a car is the only thing in the spot where the boat goes, not an issue as far as I can tell.

Where did you park the cars & trucks and boat trailer before using this outfitter's property ?

Might be time to explore other options or work out something out with this guy if you need additional spaces while at the cottage.

Good Luck !

Edited by Carp

When I had a season's launch pass, I had a window sticker for my vehicle. I know it is not quite the same thing but it didn't matter if I launched a different boat every time as long the vehicle remained the same.

Sorry for the lack of info guys here's some more..the parking spot is for the boat when we are not there. I can park my truck and trailer in the spot when boat is in water. When my family members go up they never park their vehicle in his lot,only the trailer and leave their car or truck where everyone else parks on a crown land spot that multiple vehicles also use. His problem is when they come he confronts them saying they aren't the ones that own the boat and should have to pay up.

i find that he's just trying to pull more money out of our pockets. When he confronted my brother as he was hitching up the boat last season he said to him"you should have to pay up too,since your using the boat too"

That's weird

Your renting a space..... Shouldn't matter in my opinion...

If you had different boats using the space i'd understand as some places charge by the foot

Is he asking for money to park or to launch the boat?

Just charging for a parking spot for the boat while we are not there. I however can park there. My family parks on crown land where everyone else parks

Just charging for a parking spot for the boat while we are not there. I however can park there. My family parks on crown land where everyone else parks

We don't use his launch as there is a public launch 300ft away. His launch is to mucked up

Edited by lakerguy

so the boat on the trailer is parked when youre not there the you put the boat in the water and the trailer goes back to the parking spot and they park truck on crown land or does it stay with the trailer

so the boat on the trailer is parked when youre not there the you put the boat in the water and the trailer goes back to the parking spot and they park truck on crown land or does it stay with the trailer

If my other family members go up,the trailer gets parked back into the spot where the boat came from. They then go back out onto a clearing that has lots of parking. They never park their vehicle in his lot. I'm the only one that paid for a parking spot while I'm there.

That's weird

Your renting a space..... Shouldn't matter in my opinion...

If you had different boats using the space i'd understand as some places charge by the foot

Is he asking for money to park or to launch the boat?

Yes!! I find it totally weird

sSounds like the guy is just miserable lol ...good looking out that he confronts people trying to take your boat. Sounds like you never mentioned to him that others would be accessing the boat? I'd be sure at the start of the season to have your fam with you when you meet the guy to make arrangements. Let him meet the people using the boat and let him know the vehicles that will be coming and going.

Best thing to do is iron out ALL the details before you start.

I'd be a lil off side as well if i had an arrangement with one guy then a dozen end up coming and going.

So if I'm understanding correctly, you pay for a spot that is big enough to park both your boat trailer and car / truck while at the cottage.

When your family goes up, they launch the boat, put the trailer back on the outfitter's property and park their vehicle on Crown Land.

I don't understand why this outfitter has a problem with this ?

Same boat & trailer, same parking spot and your family doesn't even park their vehicle on his property.

Hope it all works out

Let us know.

sSounds like the guy is just miserable lol ...good looking out that he confronts people trying to take your boat. Sounds like you never mentioned to him that others would be accessing the boat? I'd be sure at the start of the season to have your fam with you when you meet the guy to make arrangements. Let him meet the people using the boat and let him know the vehicles that will be coming and going.

Best thing to do is iron out ALL the details before you start.

I'd be a lil off side as well if i had an arrangement with one guy then a dozen end up coming and going.

He has met my brothers multiple times

So if I'm understanding correctly, you pay for a spot that is big enough to park both your boat trailer and car / truck while at the cottage.

When your family goes up, they launch the boat, put the trailer back on the outfitter's property and park their vehicle on Crown Land.

I don't understand why this outfitter has a problem with this ?

Same boat & trailer, same parking spot and your family doesn't even park their vehicle on his property.

Hope it all works out

Let us know.

Yep, that's pretty much it

I have a water access property as well. Up until this year I parked my boat at a drive-to resort. They had 1 reserved parking spot for me and 1 reserved dock slip for my boat. I show-up, park my car, get in my boat and go to the cottage (repeat if necessary). The cost was $500/season. Season ran from May to end of October.

Now seeing this resort has a limited season and it is in my best interest that the resort stays in business I need to support the resort. So, for any vehicle other them my truck or my wife's car we paid. Even if I had guests staying at the cottage and I was not there and my parking spot stayed opened I made sure the first option is the guests paid. I mean it was like $20 - $30 for a week parking, in a resort where there was always people there and never an issue with a break-in or vandalism.

Now, to be fair, I am in my fifties and most of friends are there too, so $20 - $30 is not an issue. On occasion, younger relatives or friends of our kids would show up and all it took was a conversation with the resort owner to ask if it was OK for them to use my spot. He never said no.

Maybe he thinks he owns the boat and is renting it out.

I guess you gotta have a little chat with him to iron it out.

The last thing you need is for him to say you can't park the boat there anymore

His comment is the others should have to pay too cause they use the boat. That's the part I don't get with him

It's your boat..... This guy sounds like a jackass or just really REALLY stupid.