Rain water collection..1000 liter IBC totes

tb4me

So I just recently picked up 2 1000 liter food grade totes. I have them hooked up to collect rainwater off my house. I want to install a pump and a garden hose for watering my garden. When i was a kid my grandpa had something similar in setup. I was a large tub full of rainwater with a pump and hose. What I cant figure out is that when you turned on the hose the pump automatically started and shut off with the squeeze of the handle. I would like to do this myself..Anyone here know how to do it? I cant seem to find any info online either.

As a kid (50's 60's) , neighbour was a market gardener with a fairly large green house for starting plants. He collected rain water for green house use, it was all gravity fed, you wouldn't need the water tanks elevated very much over the height of the garden.

Edit: I'm thinking drip irrigation and soaker hoses rather than sprinklers which would require more pressure and are less efficient.

Edited by dave524

What you want is an on demand water pump.

Its a pump that is switched through a pressure switch ; that when you turn the hose/tap on the low pressure is felt and that trips the switch, turning the pump on,

RV's use them so that there is no pressure tank. You can get them in either 12VDC or 120VAC. I have an account with a wholesale RV parts supplier and can get a 12 volt dc for around $65. (List $117.) and a 120 volt ac for about $175. (List $316.)

The 120 would pump 3 gmp @ 55psi.

The 12 volt would pump 2 gpm @ 30 psi

This is the 120 Volt pump; the 12 volt looks about the same.

Dan.

09-0105.png

Its a pump that is switched through a pressure switch ; that when you turn the hose/tap on the low pressure is felt and that trips the switch, turning the pump on,

RV's use them so that there is no pressure tank. You can get them in either 12VDC or 120VAC. I have an account with a wholesale RV parts supplier and can get a 12 volt dc for around $65. (List $117.) and a 120 volt ac for about $175. (List $316.)

Dan.

09-0105.png

This is exactly what I was looking for..Perfect. Im thinking 12 volt would be best that way I can run it off battery and solar panel..

dave524

I have plumbed in a dual outlet at the bottom of the tank..One for gravity drip irrigation and one for a pump for a watering wand..I cant wait to get my hands dirty..I already planted onion beats radish and peas in the soil..Cant wait to see what I get.

yup you can also check out marine washdown pumps I have one on the boat and it is 12 volts. You also will need a place where the pump is protected from the weather they will short out if the motor gets wet.

this is the one I have.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--4-0-washdown-pump-kit--13997978

It has a filter as well as quick disconnect which makes it easy to bring inside after you are done.

Art

This is exactly what I was looking for..Perfect. Im thinking 12 volt would be best that way I can run it off battery and solar panel..

dave524

I have plumbed in a dual outlet at the bottom of the tank..One for gravity drip irrigation and one for a pump for a watering wand..I cant wait to get my hands dirty..I already planted onion beats radish and peas in the soil..Cant wait to see what I get.

onion beats radish and peas would probably be a good guess :whistling:

onion beats radish and peas would probably be a good guess :whistling:

ha ha ha I was saying that hoping I dont get a pile of mushy greens from frost..Its ok I had it coming didnt I Big Cliff....

Dan.

09-0105.png

Cool did not know these existed.

I had a similar set up when my wife and I had an off the grid cottage in Kinmount.. the pumps are the same as the ones in an RV. The best thing about them is that they are repairable!!.. I will be setting up a rain barrel high enough off the ground to give me room to fill a pail under it.... Gardens do very well with rain water..

This may also help someone in their build. Lee Valley item # XC609 - Gravity feed Water kit.....sorry, the actual link wouldn't "paste" in to this response. I have no experience with this kit, just happened to see it on the website.

I bought the same kit from home depot this past winter on clearance for 20 bucks..lol