Anyone experience this before? - Minn Kota Terrova issue

BillM

Took the boat out for this past weekend for some Gbay laker action and was having a weird issue with my Terrova (24V, 80lb, 60in).. First off the motor felt pretty weak (I checked all the battery connections and had my onboard charger plugged in all winter). If I used anything about say 6 or 7 on the foot pedal, the motor would surge like crazy (off, on, off, on, off, on) Only when I turned the power down did it constantly run. I took the foot pedal apart at the end of last season for the same issue. I didn't find anything wrong with the foot pedal at all, so I'm kinda at a loss here. I've got a few things to check.

1. Power at receptacle.

2. Double check wiring from batteries to motor

3. Perhaps the foot pedal is the culprit here? (Battery was toast on the iPilot link remote so I couldn't use that, doh!)

If you guys have any other thoughts I'd love to hear them. I am planning on replacing the batteries soon anyhow, but wanted to nail down this problem first.

That sucks Bill. I hope it's not serious. This is supposed to be the best part of the year for us boaters, I find it stressful. I cut the shrink wrap off yesterday and found I have, no bilge pump, 2 livewells not working, VHF not transmitting and I have a hole in my 2 year new fuel line primer bulb so I couldn't start it. Time to get outside get to work and off this laptop.

That sucks Bill. I hope it's not serious. This is supposed to be the best part of the year for us boaters, I find it stressful. I cut the shrink wrap off yesterday and found I have, no bilge pump, 2 livewells not working, VHF not transmitting and I have a hole in my 2 year new fuel line primer bulb so I couldn't start it. Time to get outside get to work and off this laptop.

Your problems sound a lot worse then mine, I hope you get them sorted! I wish I wasn't addicted to the foot pedal so much and could just get rid of it all together, but it just becomes second nature. Maybe I'll pick up that micro iPilot remote, because the big LCD unit is just too big to hold comfortably when you fish.

66d6b2f3-ead8-477d-aad6-8f130e6d10b2.png

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I just needed to clean up the conections in the foot pedal and tighten a few screws. Easy to check that before going further.

Did that at the end of last season, didn't seem to help. I'd love to get my hands on a known working pedal to rule that out.

Art, good thinking.. Looks like I'll need to test this on the water.

Or just make sure that the one you have does it unloaded and the new one acts the same way. Short of an amp meter it is hard to know if it is one of the windings dropping out. You also might check in the head unit where the two wires are joined together they use a crimp butt connector that has corroded so only under load/heat does it mess up.

Art

I am going to check those butt connectors like Art mentioned, that's come up a few times on Google. Time to start checking stuff off the list. Appreciate the insight fellas!

At least the motor troubles didn't stop this young fella from catching a nice laker (I'm still trying to convince him that holding it isn't 'gross')

013A7538_zpsburr2wgu.jpg

Edited by BillM

I do have some good news. 2 cranks on the key after I changed the bulb on the 115 and she started and ran like a clock. Same with the 15HP kicker. I won't put the boat in the water without a bilge and a new VHF is in my near furure, important safety feature 15 miles out on Lake Erie. That bilge may be a bit of a chore to trouble shoot. I better get it done this week before Wormdunker and Fish Farmer catches all the perch in Erie.

My old wireless MotorGuide foot control would not work properly unless it was in the water under load as Art mentioned Bill. When I was looking at 2 new deep cells (it's 24V) at around 300 Samolians I now call it the hood ornament. I really don't need it for the fishing we do on Erie. It looks nice though up there. When I win the lottery one like yours will be on the boat. I see they have 48V now, that will pull me through the Erie waves.

It is probably something simple Bill, it usually is for everyone else but I.