Kawarthas Houseboat Trip Question

FishFinder17

Do what we did one time, head to the sand bar on pigeon and set up for 3 days

That's about a five minute trip from Happy Days....... :dunno:

If you are doing some fishing with the smaller boat and using the houseboat as a base camp, you could cruise around the North end of Pigeon on the first day and then stay on the East side of Boyd Island (big island) that night. The next morning after breakfast, use the small boat for fishing while the Mother Ship heads to Buckhorn lock. Meet up there and depending on time of day lock through or spend the night. Once on Lower Buckhorn you might need to visit a marina for a pump out (that's two full days and nights of 11 guys on board) something to keep an eye on. You can fish and cruise Lower Buckhorn all day, but if you need to be back at Happy Days by a certain time on the fourth day, it will take you a few hours of cruising to get back after you have locked back into Upper Buckhorn. No problem with the smaller boat, but if the prevailing westerly winds are up, it will slow the Mother Ships return.

Be careful on Pigeon Lake with the smaller boat if the winds are up. It can sometimes get quite nasty.

I live on Pigeon and have had some white knuckle rides in an 18 foot Lund. Just use your common sense in that case.

Thanks Tom, I like the idea of using the houseboat as base camp. We probably won't spend any full days fishing since it's only a few of us that are into it but definitely will start each day in the tracker :Gonefishing:.

How concerned should I be about hazards/rocks heading out to the east? I know how to navigate a lake but I don't want to put any pressure on some of the less experienced guys who will likely do some driving.

And thanks for the heads up on Pigeon winds. I had the tracker out there last September and it was not a fun ride once the winds picked up. Scared the hell out of my buddy lol!

Again, thanks all for the help!

FF17

I am not sure what the houseboat will have as far as instrumentation, but if it has a fish finder/GPS combo, you will be fine. I am also pretty sure there will be paper charts on board as well. These you can study over a cold beverage and plan your next days travel. The preferred waterways are well marked and just stay within those boundaries and let the inexperienced guys operate here. When proceeding towards an overnight anchorage or lock, go slow and have a lookout on the front deck/rail of the houseboat and one on the back with an experienced person at the helm. Not all the hazards are marked.

If the houseboat doesn't supply a pair of binoculars it would be a good idea to bring your own.

Don't worry too much about it. These things are built like tanks and take a lot of abuse. A lot of NEW TO BOATING renters have the use of these vessels every year. A few props get damaged and it is all part of the experience. Depending on how badly they are bent, you may lose a damage deposit and this should be discussed amongst all the boys beforehand so no one (YOURSELF) is stuck holding the bag at the end of your trip.

They have NO VHF radios but they do have depth finder with GPS ..........YEARS ago they didn't.

And as far a damage, they will KILL you on that end...........DON'T damage anything and they will also COUNT all your silverware, plates, pans, etc.............they are not in business to have endless supplies of anything on the boat.........you will also be responsible for anchors and pipe poles, etc..............so keep a eye on everything.

OK, so here is one tip for you: DO NOT head into the chanel in Sturgeon Lake going up to Lindsay, there are a couple of old fogies right near the Moorings Marina that will take pictures, fire a potatoe cannon at you, call the cops if you make too much noise! (well they are sort of deaf so it does take a lot of noise)

If it looks like you are having a really good time, they have been known to run out and join the party! Oh and the old guy really likes it if there are any ladies in bikinis (or better still not) . In their (his) defense, he usually brings beer!

OK, so here is one tip for you: DO NOT head into the chanel in Sturgeon Lake going up to Lindsay, there are a couple of old fogies right near the Moorings Marina that will take pictures, fire a potatoe cannon at you, call the cops if you make too much noise! (well they are sort of deaf so it does take a lot of noise)

If it looks like you are having a really good time, they have been known to run out and join the party! Oh and the old guy really likes it if there are any ladies in bikinis (or better still not) . In their (his) defense, he usually brings beer!

Just don't offer this guy a Lancaster Ice Tea because if you do you will never get rid of him......LOL

If you do come east and pass through Lower Buckhorn be sure to stay to the main channel and you will be fine it is well marked but stray from it and there are lots of marked and unmarked rocks and shallow areas to beware of especially on the north side of the lake. The lake is very scenic and boasts some good fishing for bass and musky as well as walleye and panfish and does have lots of sheltered bays where I often see houseboats tied up for the evenings but again getting into those areas is risky so be careful and have fun.

Kawartha Kev

Edited by Kawartha Kev

IF you want to have a good time, don't tie up at the locks at night. We always spend a night on the island at pigeon, and any other nights we anchor in a quiet bay and have atter. Please, do not operate that vessel and drink.

S.

That's a lot of Testosterone on a small boat. I hope all 11 of you come back together in one piece. I went with 2 other couples years ago and it wasn't fun at all. I guess it all depends who is going. I felt like I was locked in a very small jail cell for 4 days and nights with a bunch of idiots. If I hear the song "Feelings" all I can remember is me throwing the 8 track into the depths of Lovesick Lake.

Keep your eyes out for the OPP, they love inspecting boats will 11 guys on them.

Have fun boys and no fighting and no Barbra Streisand.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

How does camping on the pigeon lake island work? Isn't it privately owned?

Boyd Island (Big Island) was privately owned up until last fall. The owner has donated it to Kawartha Land Trust for the small sum of $1,000,000. My understanding is this million dollars will be kept in reserve for maintenance of the island to be kept in a natural state.

I don't know what the future holds, but it will never be developed into the 95, 5 acre building lots that the developer prior to the previous owner was attempting to ram through.

Thank God

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

Boyd Island (Big Island) was privately owned up until last fall. The owner has donated it to Kawartha Land Trust for the small sum of $1,000,000,000. My understanding is this million dollars will be kept in reserve for maintenance of the island to be kept in a natural state.

I don't know what the future holds, but it will never be developed into the 95, 5 acre building lots that the developer prior to the previous owner was attempting to ram through.

Thank God

That is good news for sure.

As for camping, can anyone just beach on the island and camp a night or two?

That is good news for sure.

As for camping, can anyone just beach on the island and camp a night or two?

There is quite a few decent spots on east side Boyd Island to beach a boat and camp.

Have done it and others do still. Great fishing all through area.

11 guys on houseboat for 4 days, make plans to stop in Buckhorn, Bobcaygeon, Burleigh Falls or wherever for supplies and a walk/stretch for all.

What weekend were you planning to do this? I'll make sure I'm off the water! LOL

Definitely don't ruin the weekend by getting nabbed by the police, they do patrol the area quite well at times. I don't think that you will be bothered if you are anchored for the night in a bay or around the island.

Again, thanks for all of the great tips guys.

I think Big (Boyd) island will be destination for sure.

And just to reiterate, we may be a bunch of hooligans but we are responsible and respect the water/law. We have created a schedule of drivers and whoever is behind the wheel will be completely sober.

I really appreciate all of the help here. I'm fairly new to the forum and I'm amazed at how helpful everyone has been.

Based on your advice I'm thinking we will avoid spending the night at the locks and find somewhere to anchor or tie up to shore.

Still not sure if I should head east through buckhorn or west through bobcayegon though....Where are the bigger Muskie? ;) (million dollar question)

Thanks again all, truly appreciate all of the help (I'll make sure to post some pics after the trip!).

FF17

Boyd Island (Big Island) was privately owned up until last fall. The owner has donated it to Kawartha Land Trust for the small sum of $1,000,000,000.

Wow that's a lot of money for a trust fund.

My understanding is this million dollars will be kept in reserve for maintenance of the island to be kept in a natural state.

Only after I read this part did I relize you added three extra zeros to you number.

Where are the bigger Muskie? ;) (million dollar question)

That is a good question.

Probably in Pigeon.

If Muskie numbers and size is what you want, stay on Pigeon.

They are everywhere on the Kawarthas

Find weeds in 8-12 ft near deeper water and you'll find Muskie.

Trick is to find the 40"plus girls

Scenery will be better on the shield lakes like Lower Buckhorn or Stoney.

Not sure you'll have enough time to fish Stoney with only 4 days.

Where are the bigger Muskie? ;) (million dollar question)

That is a good question.

Probably in Pigeon.

If Muskie numbers and size is what you want, stay on Pigeon.

They are everywhere on the Kawarthas

Find weeds in 8-12 ft near deeper water and you'll find Muskie.

Trick is to find the 40"plus girls

Scenery will be better on the shield lakes like Lower Buckhorn or Stoney.

Not sure you'll have enough time to fish Stoney with only 4 days.

Thanks Capt

I'll make sure we get some good hours in on pigeon. It's my usual destination when I head to the kawarthas so hoping that helps.

Make sure you fish below Burleigh falls. A great fishery.

Thanks Old Ironmaker...would you have an estimate of how long it might take us to get there from pigeon (on a houseboat...)?

Thanks

FF17

The trip to get below Burleigh Falls would take the better part of a day with the houseboat. It all would depend on how busy the locks are at Buckhorn and Burleigh Falls. I would think that if you got underway from an anchorage off Boyd by 8:00 am you could easily make the lock in Burleigh Falls by late afternoon (without side trips). Ask about fuel consumption at Happy Days and judge accordingly if you can make the trip with what you have in the tank, from Boyd Island to the Falls without having to stop for fuel.

It's not that far by water. It just takes time to get past several speed limit zones and the locks.

Not as though the houseboat needs to slow down a lot.......LOL. But it will use more fuel if you are running wide open.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know of any good spots for a houseboat to tie up/anchor overnight? Looking for places on Buckhorn/Pigeon/Sturgeon.

Would also love to know the locations of any sandbars on those three lakes.

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

FF17