My spring project!!

NAW

My grandpa bought this Yamaha Moto4 new in 86. Parked it at the cottage in muskoka and used it maybe one or twice s month to haul loads of wood and do some light road work.

A few years ago we sold the family cottage. My aunt took the quad to her farm where it was used for hauling wood. Again. Only run a few times each summer

My aunt recently called me and asked if I coukd take the quad and give it a tune up and list of thing wrong with it. Reason being, is it wouldnt start in the cold. And as of recent, wouldn't start at all!

So I took it, stripped it down, and gave her a list of things wrong with it. Mostly minor things.

And guess what she told me!! "do you want it?".. Yes I want it!!!

So I am the very happy proud new owner of a 1986 Yamaha Moto4, YFM 225.

Chris Brock and I have the same canoe and the same snowmobile. I'm half expecting that he also has a Moto4 and can chime in with some input.

I think it needs a new stator. But changing it looks like it may take A little time and money. The machine has intermittent spark. No spark most of the time. Tried a new coil. Tried connecting and disconnecting every connector I can find. My neighbour is a small engine mechanic / snowmobile mechanic. So we are in the process of weeding it out
But aside from a new (expensive) stator, I don't know what else to check.

does anyone know of common issues on these old MOTO4's??

I'd love to get it running like a top. Then possibly get some chains for it and use it on the ice next winter, on those days when it's to warm or not enough snow for the bravo.

Not to mention the hundreds of miles of trails in my backyard.! Man I'm excited.

I'm going to shine this old girl up. There's not a spec of rust anywhere on it! well, maybe some specs... But it will shine up nice!

Here's some pics.
DSC_2045_zpsb4obdvgo.jpg

DSC_2039_zps1u4khjv3.jpg

DSC_2048_zpskywrwad7.jpg

DSC_2049_zpsrtmkal9d.jpg

I know it's a small machine. And only 2 wheel drive. But they are little work horses. And fun to drive. It's basically a blaster race bike with racks.

Thats funny, my girlfriend's grandpa has probably the same year moto4, and pretty much the same back story, only this one still runs like a top! Probably the most fun you can have on four wheels, he even welded a shifter out of an old pickup onto the foot shifter to change gears by hand lol

They may only be 2wd,but they can pull a lot of weight and if you get it stuck just pick it up and move it...

What are you going to do with the old sled if you get this one working the way you want?

One can never have to many toys! Specially free ones. The same aunt also gave me the bravo many years ago, after it not running for nearly 20 years. It's a first pull everytime machine.

Thats funny, my girlfriend's grandpa has probably the same year moto4, and pretty much the same back story, only this one still runs like a top! Probably the most fun you can have on four wheels, he even welded a shifter out of an old pickup onto the foot shifter to change gears by hand lol

They may only be 2wd,but they can pull a lot of weight and if you get it stuck just pick it up and move it...

The towing ratings are so low on these this by the book. I should be able to toe a light permanent fish hut eh? If I can get traction that is.

DSC_2049_zpsrtmkal9d.jpg

cool

is that the snowmobile you and chis have standing in front of the beer cases

seems basic...lol

I wish my track was that long!!

No that's off a Indy 500 that he bought with a bad bottom end and is parting out.

Edited by N.A.W

Awesome! Bring 'er up here for some summer fishing and trailing!

As far as the stator, I've never done the Yammy's, but I changed the stator in a couple old Honda ATV's and it was quite easy to access. THey were a bit finicky to adjust, but the access is easy and the part was cheap (used).

Nice little gift you got there Nick. After the detailing, it looks mint!

I don't have one, my Dad had one years ago, but I'm no help with the four stroke stuff.

I used to have a sticker on my V Max, "Yamaha's the best, *&&%% the rest!"

Step one is get the book for the bike. The charging circuit is separate from the spark and igniter. Most of the tests needed to be preformed are measuring the resistance of the igniter circuit. First thing to check is the easiest answers like connectors for path and then go one to the possible failure of components. The book will give you the paths as well as the resistance values of what you are testing. Do not just change parts it will be expensive and or you will try a coil from another vehicle and has a different circuit or value and then damage the cdi or worse.

Art

What you do that for... you're just going to get it dirty again!!

I have an '85 Moto 4 in the hangar. Has the original oil in it. You can't kill it..

Step one is get the book for the bike. The charging circuit is separate from the spark and igniter. Most of the tests needed to be preformed are measuring the resistance of the igniter circuit. First thing to check is the easiest answers like connectors for path and then go one to the possible failure of components. The book will give you the paths as well as the resistance values of what you are testing. Do not just change parts it will be expensive and or you will try a coil from another vehicle and has a different circuit or value and then damage the cdi or worse. Art

I was going to call royal tomorrow and see if the can order me one. Unless you know where I can get one super cheap or free??My neighbour also suggested I get the manual, so we can get a 100% reading on what component is malfunctioning. I have never bought a manual like this before. I'm hoping to do some online research and maybe down load a free copy that I can print.

I'm hoping it's not the stator. That looks like a pain in the ass and a few hundred bucks to change.

Edited by N.A.W

Factory manuals are the best one to get if possible. Just so you know just because it is old does not mean it is less expensive to fix. I rebuild old motorcycles and some of them have cost as much as a new motorcycle to get back on the road correctly. I am not saying yours will do the same thing but if a stator makes you quezzie just think about the great deal you got on the purchase price. lol

Art