Some questions about NFLD

Big Cliff

So Sue and I have decided that this summer we are finally going to get to NFLD. We had thought about doing the trip in a motor home but want to explore other options as well.

Both of us are enamored by the beauty of the pictures we have seen of some of the coastal villages, the colors, the settings and that is something we’d like to see.

We aren’t into museums, art galleries, fancy restraints, neither of us can walk any distance so hiking trails and walking tours are out of the question.

Here is what we would like in no particular order:

Digging clams (we’d need some help in knowing where, what, how, when……)

Catching crabs (again, lots of help needed LOL)

Fishing for cod, mackerel, (anything) but I’m not after trophies, just want to spend some time on the water and catch some fish. Party boat style fishing is fine with me too. Oh, and lobster, lots of lobster LOL.

Smaller communities where we could rent an apartment or efficiency motel unit, visit the pier and/or the pub; just hang out and absorb the atmosphere.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be very welcome! :)

Big Cliff, a few years back we were planning a Newf. trip and got side tracked. I contacted the Provincial tourism folks and they sent us copious amounts of info by mail. I like reading from a magazine rather than a screen at times. You know the commercial where it says call "Irene" or somebody that is still on once and a while, I called the number and sent the package tout suite. We only got as far as Cape Breton where we could spend a year there in Nova Scotia. Her sister lived there then. We rented an SUV in Halifax and did that coast 360 degrees. I brought a few rods and reels and assorted tackle and caught plenty of fish from docks, streams and bridges etc. I did have a few opportunities to go on the local Cod boats and hand line them but never got to as we were so busy for 2 1/2 weeks. I can fish everyday here at home so I compromised with my wife which was good. I still want to hit Newfie Land. Only changed flights in Gander once.

I don't want to get personal but what kind of "fancy restraints" are you talking about? I think that's for a different website.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Morning Cliff

I have been to a lot of places in the world due to the nature of the job I was in. Nova Scotian in my heart but I'm still astounded by Newfoundland it is rugged rocky and beautiful and blows me away I think a motorhome would be the cats butt stay costal and do what you want everyday clams I think now you need a license to dig them mackeral can be caught almost everywhere when running it will be different all over there is big runs always as for cod look for locals that might want to make a few bucks or try on line and set it up to your traveling

the locals are always accommodating and very friendly WATCH OUT FOR MOOSE IF DRIVING. your a lucky man enjoy your trip it is well worth the time and you may not want to come back

cheers

peter

Big Cliff, a few years back we were planning a Newf. trip and got side tracked. I contacted the Provincial tourism folks and they sent us copious amounts of info by mail. I like reading from a magazine rather than a screen at times. You know the commercial where it says call "Irene" or somebody that is still on once and a while, I called the number and sent the package tout suite. We only got as far as Cape Breton where we could spend a year there in Nova Scotia. Her sister lived there then. We rented an SUV in Halifax and did that coast 360 degrees. I brought a few rods and reels and assorted tackle and caught plenty of fish from docks, streams and bridges etc. I did have a few opportunities to go on the local Cod boats and hand line them but never got to as we were so busy for 2 1/2 weeks. I can fish everyday here at home so I compromised with my wife which was good. I still want to hit Newfie Land. Only changed flights in Gander once.

I don't want to get personal but what kind of "fancy restraints" are you talking about? I think that's for a different website.

LOL, Sue and I did head out three years ago, got as far as PEI then a storm destroyed our boat house and we had to come home early. We did have a wonderful time, we visited countless light houses, just wandered the coast, stopped in little villages, went on one clam digging excursion, I even got to go fishing for 1/2 a day and caught cod and mackerel, It was our best vacation ever.

I looked at the tourisum website but I know that there are several members on here from NFLD that can help us narrow down our search and give us insight into places to stay, eat, hang out, and avoid the tourist traps.

Fancy restraunts to us: Anything I can't walk into wearing sandles and shorts and feel right at home.

I will be there from last week of july til 2nd week of august. We will be up at the very Northern tip of the island at my dads place.....you met him at the marina once or twice.....come on by!

The cod fishery usually only runs those 3 weeks, so if thats what you want to do, be there then.

Honestly, if you want the real newfie experience stick to the small fishing villages and get to know a local. They will take good care of you, and knowing you, they would take you right in.

We have a pretty busy trip planned while we are there, but if you intended to go up the northern peninsula, call me on my cell and im sure we could get you out to jig a few cod, have a few drinks afterwards, and hang out for a good ole time.

I cant wait to go!

We are driving down. Leave july 19. I will be in a bit of a rush to get there though. Seen all the sights on the way enough times now that i just want to get "home".

If you have any questions just call or text me directly bud.

Just a warning. You may not want to leave once you get there! Lol

S.

I will be there from last week of july til 2nd week of august. We will be up at the very Northern tip of the island at my dads place.....you met him at the marina once or twice.....come on by!

The cod fishery usually only runs those 3 weeks, so if thats what you want to do, be there then.

Honestly, if you want the real newfie experience stick to the small fishing villages and get to know a local. They will take good care of you, and knowing you, they would take you right in.

We have a pretty busy trip planned while we are there, but if you intended to go up the northern peninsula, call me on my cell and im sure we could get you out to jig a few cod, have a few drinks afterwards, and hang out for a good ole time.

I cant wait to go!

We are driving down. Leave july 19. I will be in a bit of a rush to get there though. Seen all the sights on the way enough times now that i just want to get "home".

If you have any questions just call or text me directly bud.

Just a warning. You may not want to leave once you get there! Lol

S.

Oh would I ever love that! Where on the Northern tip?

Did the trip with the van and family 10 yrs ago.

Took ferry to Port aux Basque. Gross Morne (spelling) and took the Transcanada to St Johns

Wanted to catch an Atlantic salmon in the rivers. Had to buy fly rod gear and hire a licensed guide. No luck.

Lots of great scenery. Moose. Puffins. Icebergs.

Gotta kiss the cod and get screeched in.

Ferry was expensive. $700 there and back.

Weather can suck even in summer.

Gotta see it once

Not sure I'd go back.

Fairly depressed economy now with low oil.

WOW, I can't beleive the prices of accomodations even in some of the "out of the way" places, motels and B&B's all seem to start at about $100.00 a night and go up from there. Even tried looking at some for the month of July and anything decent was around $3000.00 for the month.

Figured the cost just in gas for a motor home at about $1000.00 each way (more if towing a car) plus the cost of the ferry, camp grounds....... There has to be a better way!

We don't need much, clean, quiet, safe, effeciency suite would be nice.

We are thinking we'd like to move around a bit and get to see different places , maybe spend a week or two in different areas and I was thinking July and Aug. Who else has done this and what did you find!

Edited by Big Cliff

Cliff accommodation will probably run $100 to $150 a night depending on what you choose... not sure 100% on Newfoundland prices but Barbara and I are paying average $140 a night for B&B in Nova Scotia and PEI in early Sept. Off season rates don't really start till October. We are still deciding whether to drive or fly. Flights and rental car are about the same as gas and additional nights accommodation to drive. I understand ferry cost is expensive so may be another reason to fly?

Yes Cliff vacationing ain't cheap today. With just the cost of fuel it gets expensive fast. Years ago we would rent a motor home and the boys and I would go down to Myrtle beach for golf for 2 weeks. Some of the parks outside of town the hookup prices they wanted were ridiculous during peak times. And with 4 grown men in the RV it was getting too tight, real tight. A flight, rental and a huge condo and golf package was actually less per person and we kyboshed the RV thing. For me just lugging a towel and toiletries to the common shower was getting old fast and I was much younger and fit. RV traveling isn't any less money today than a traditional trip i.e. fly, rent a car and stay at B&B's that are well over 100 bucks per night comes out about even driving a RV or car to any tourist destination there and back. A friends Dad and Mom who are exactly your age bought a massive RV 10years back and would drive to Texas to winter every year towing a small car. 3 years ago he sold it as they found it too tough making the long drive. A return flight ( with some stops) is less expensive than the cost for them to drive down and back. That's what they do now. They bought a car and keep it at their trailer there.

Tourism is just about the only business left on the island and its not cheap. Its rediculous actually.

S.

On that trip to the Rock were we didn't make it that far the places we stayed that were 100 bucks was cheap. They wanted close to $200.00 a night near Lunenburg. Heck we went to a wedding last fall in Hamilton and paid 120 bucks for a budget room on Centennial Parkway with tax. I had to find someone in the middle of the night to get more blankets as it was freezing in there. No luck thank goodness my wifes winter survival box in the car had a sleeping bag in it. 120 bucks and you need to bring your own blankets. Some budget, at least it came with a door and a lock.

I remember a lot of displaced Nova Scotian's and Newfs from work would take the ferry from Bar Harbor Maine to get there. Is it still done? I know it cuts off plenty of driving hours. The ferry can't be too cheap now though. I don't think, no I know I will never drive down east again. Pushing it for me would be a minimum of 3 nights each way now as my wife freaks driving on the highway for a long jaunt for some reason. That would get expensive getting a room for 6 nights plus fuel.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I guess I'm just surprised at the cost. Heck I hear fishermen are getting $5.00 a lb or less for lobster but it costs $3000.00 a month for a motel room. Oh well, it is what it is LOL. I'm going anyway!

Good for you Cliff, go. I haven't met anyone that came back to life yet once they left this Earth, not even Jesus as promised.

They don't live in motel rooms. They can hardly afford where they do live. Sad state the folks out east live in. Not fair at all. When a few guys that worked at Sydney Steel moved west to Hamilton they doubled their wages and benefits. Many worker here for 30 years sold their homes here and moved back the day after they retired. For what they got for a home here they could buy a mansion there and their pensions gave them a very good life. I actually thought hard when a had an opportunity to buy a place on Mahon Bay. Near where they film that show about the pirate treasure hunt on Oak Island. 10 acres. 400 feet of oceanfront, nice 3 bedroom house and huge barn/shop. $60000.00 in 2000. My brother in law said way too much money!!! We didn't because I realized they get 4 months of good weather, maybe. A 4 foot snow fall is nothing there. That same property 16 years latter is going for the same money. If it was around here with that much lakefront it would be well over 600K but it isn't.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Never been there but sure would love too.

All the newfies I know come west for work.

Everyone of them is hilarious and fun to work with lol.

Some mighty fine scenery over there!

OI give me a call when your not servicing ticha

I'm servicing my wife 24 hours a day. What you are thinking of doesn't take but a few minutes, maybe.

I guess I'm just surprised at the cost. Heck I hear fishermen are getting $5.00 a lb or less for lobster but it costs $3000.00 a month for a motel room. Oh well, it is what it is LOL. I'm going anyway!

Like everywhere else, you need to do you homework and look around to find the better bargains. for e.g. we stayed in a place with a kitchen and a separate bathroom in Twillingate for quite a good price a few years back.

:rofl2:

I'm servicing my wife 24 hours a day. What you are thinking of doesn't take but a few minutes, maybe.

:rofl2::rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Yup, when you are as old as we are you don't have to do all that "fooling around stuff" you know exactly what she needs and wants!

Yup, when you are as old as we are you don't have to do all that "fooling around stuff" you know exactly what she needs and wants!

Hey it happens to us youngins too lol.

We have restraunt 2 blocks away called Circle D, and when the wife askes for the "d" she gets both cause im confused lol

What are you talking about "US old guys" you have 9 years on me. The way things are going with my body this past winter I don't think I will nor will I want to see 70. No I want to see 90 like my Dad who will be 89 in a few weeks. He can out work me today I bet. It's not age but quality of life. My brother takes after Dad and I take after my 85 year old mother. Not fair. I got her Diabetes and 5 types of Arthritis and degenerative bone desease and he got her head of hair, thick as concrete and black as the Ace of Spades, not fair I say, not fair whatsoever.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

We drove through Labrador and took the ferry to the Northern tip of NF three years ago. We drove a truck with a pop up. NF was great. Stayed in some great camp grounds with full amenities that were empty. Fished for Sea Trout and did very well. The picturesque sea side towns were mostly gone! After that reno rebate they offered a few years ago we found lots of 'newly' sided homes near the water but they were all beige or white! Drove from L'anse Au Medow down to the southern tip. The best towns we found were east of Channel Port Aux-Basques on Hwy 470.

We drove through Labrador and took the ferry to the Northern tip of NF three years ago. We drove a truck with a pop up. NF was great. Stayed in some great camp grounds with full amenities that were empty. Fished for Sea Trout and did very well. The picturesque sea side towns were mostly gone! After that reno rebate they offered a few years ago we found lots of 'newly' sided homes near the water but they were all beige or white! Drove from L'anse Au Medow down to the southern tip. The best towns we found were east of Channel Port Aux-Basques on Hwy 470.

Sounds like a nice trip, what time of the year did you do it? What were the typical camp ground costs like?

I have always wanted to go that way, but heard the roads aren't great going through Labrador. It would cut a lot of the ferry cost for us, but I'm sure add a lot more driving?? My dad's place is about 10km from the ferry landing in Lanse Aux meadows.

For me, my gf and two kids it will cost almost $400 for the ferry. I count it as one night accomodation too.

We leave home and drive to Grand falls NB on the first day, about 10 hours, then next morning straight to the ferry....about 8 or so hours. Take the night ferry across and get a few Z's, and hit the island at first light for the trip up the coast to "home". Another 8 hour run. Its not really all that bad. Take a look at flights.....the prices are NUTS! To fly four of us down is over $3 Grand! The drive is part of the adventure IMO. I kinda like it. Its about 2500km one way. My vehicle gets about 11l/100km so I figure 300l of fuel at average a buck a litre. One night accommodations on the way down, plus food and etc.....lets say $1000 each way.....saves me a few bucks and my gf and kids get to see the east side of this country that they haven't seen before.....not too bad IMO.

Once we're there we just have the price of booze and gas for the boat LOL.....

S.

My wife and I honeymooned in Newfoundland. Ten days, landed in St John, rented a car and drive the bonavista peninsula up to twilingate area, up to gros morne, and back.

We're very active, lots of hiking and talking to locals about the local hidden spots. Here's some of my thoughts based on what you've said:

- camping? The provincial parks are the cheapest at around $12./night and great accommodations (washrooms and showers) as most people are RVing. Private campgrounds are hit/miss in quality.

The national park is expensive in comparison.

- in grand falls Windsor there's a great bed and breakfast called the carriage house. It's an excellent stop between at Johns and gros morne.

- I hope you will consider some hiking. Nothing epic or crazy in elevation changes, but bare minimum I recommend getting out and walking the tablelands and the brief walk to the Western Brook pond. Take the boat tour as you'll Anjou some of the Marine history and fishing studies in the pond.

-consider the skerwink trail on the bonavista peninsula. It's not grueling and gives some great coastal views without any crowds.

I can't comment on fishing or other types as we did things in the You may be surprised how little advertising there is once there despite all of the tourism ads here. Aside from St John's, people generally aren't trying to sell you things... And it's great. I have to run for now, but one last thing -- book your Gros morne and St John's stays in advance.

Edit: apologies for tense and grammar errors. Typing on phone with baby in one hand!

Edited by jayess