I'm out

lickmyarmpit

I like Fergus, but I'd move north for an excuse not to go to the GTA. The ultra-competitive, worked to death attitude that permeates from some of these corporations into my small town living is not for me, but my wife would be very hard pressed to find a job outside of the GTA.

This thread got me to thinking, so I looked on some job search websites and found a position that seemed to be tailor made for me in Sudbury. My wife hates the GTA lifestyle so much she'd move with me even if she couldn't find a job.

I like Fergus, but I'd move north for an excuse not to go to the GTA. The ultra-competitive, worked to death attitude that permeates from some of these corporations into my small town living is not for me, but my wife would be very hard pressed to find a job outside of the GTA.

This thread got me to thinking, so I looked on some job search websites and found a position that seemed to be tailor made for me in Sudbury. My wife hates the GTA lifestyle so much she'd move with me even if she couldn't find a job.

Do not move to Sudbury..never ever consider it..two kinds of people live in Sudbury...those that hate it and those that have never lived anywhere else

Not sure what you would be looking to gain moving to Sudbury from Fergus? I grew up in Fergus. My whole family still lives there. My wives sister lives on Lake Ramsey in Sudbury. So I know Sudbury very well also. Both places have lots of rural fishing close at hand. Different country I'll admit. Sudbury more rocky and rugged. Fergus more farmland but lots of unspoiled area close by.

If at any point you are at all serious do yourself a favour and go spent some time in Sudbury. It is a city in every way and very comparable to anything in the GTA. So if you are looking to get away from the city you would have to live outside Sudbury to do that....maybe 30minutes to an hour outside the city....which is where you already are in Fergus...30 minutes to an hour outside the GTA. I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade. Just pointing out the similarities and urging you to do your due diligence before you make a decision.

Nice. I love Toronto, but only visit there...not sure I could live there for all the reasons listed. It's my dream to retire in Canada (live in states) for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to get into an environment that is much-less pressure cooked....and the fact that living in the U.S. anymore is just downright frightening (take a look at our current presidential campaign for proof). For me, Haliburton and north, but probably not too far north of the Timmins latitude. That is unless I land in Nipawin, SK....can't be much going on up there...which is the #1 goal... ;)

I love Sudbury. We played up there once every season and if we didn't show up we could still beat them. To compare Sudbury to T.O. is a stretch. I wouldn't live in either place.

Its funny to hear all the GTA bashers, Let me tell you guys alot of income comes from the GTA and everyone else in the province is enjoying it. Do you really thing that all the rural people could get the services they enjoy in our fine province without the GTA? The roads they drive on without traffic without the GTA? Schools hospitals paid for by the locals in Timmons? Traffic, crime and all the rest of the crap that comes from big city living sucks indeed and nobody likes it its true. But this city carries the entire province. I wish stuff was based on the amount we pay... As far as the permission goes, people describe themselves as partners these days, and therefore compromise is often necessary. Everyone says "oh shes not the right one" I make the rules! My wife makes 6 figures,but neither of us would want to live somewhere that makes the other miserable... So if Flin Flon is a stretch for his girl, maybe there are reasons she wont do it, but it doesnt make him pussy whipped. Happy wife, happy life I call him a smart man....

Yes Toronto is the centre of the Universe. And because of Torontonians we have our Liberal Gov. at Queens Park. If you live there you better make at least 6 figures. If I still had the place across from Hyde Park when I lived there in the 70's I would be a millionaire. The only thing I miss of Toronto is the El Macambo on Spadina.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Johnny The Elmacombo is gone...Yes its expensive and yes we've made some poor choices while casting ballads for sure.But over all its a great city and a gift to the rest of the province. Im not talking overly proudly or self righteously, But I hate to hear bashing when its undeserving. Its like these guys i work with that would bash the crap out of this contractor we all were working for. Until the one time he walked in and overheard it all. It wasn't until they stood to lose his business that they saw the light and kissed his feet for more work...

S

And whats the Sudbury Joke? BTW

I heard this 1 a long time ago(No real offense intended to S'bury. I was there a few years back and it seemed a nice enough place)

The guys were sitting around having a few pints and shooting the breeze and shoveling the stuff that usually gets shoveled. Conversation turns to the places they have lived and worked. Joe in the corner mentions Sudbury. Bob, 2 seats away says "Sudbury!! Sudbury!! The only things that ever came out of Sudbury are whores and hockey players". Mario, sitting across the table says "I beg your pardon! That's where my mother is from". To which Bob says "So what team did she play for?"

What's wrong with Sudbury? The joke is. There's only hookers & hockey players live there! Oh which team does your wife play for? Old joke!

I have been to Sudbury numerous times, worked there on several occasions, including a 9 month stint. I'd go back in a heart beat! 1.5 hour drive north on the hwy 144 is the most amazing fishing I have experienced, not to mention hunting, hiking, snowmobiling, ATVing & the great outdoors in general. Dara I need an explanation for your comment. Once in the city you have every restaurant, bar & shopping facilities that most bigger cities offer. Don't bash Sudbury unless you've been there for more than a week. Also, in my case if I lived permanently in Sudbury I would only be a 5 hour drive to where I grew up, & where my children & grandchildren reside.

Hey Rick please explain "Sudbury is like my dog's pooping spot" Have you lived in Sudbury? I'm sure North Western Ontario is awesome! I lived in Thunder Bay back in 1971, but I'm warning you now I'm coming to Lake of the Woods this summer!! Look out!! The walleye don't stand a chance!! Let's talk.

I lived in Sudbury for a summer. Wasn't a fan.

CBC radio had the North Bay mayor and the Sudbury mayor trying to explain why each town was better. It went like this:

Sudbury Mayor- " it's called GREATER Sudbury for reason!"

NB Mayor - " We have SUNSETS!"

Haha, it's like Shelbyville and Springfield.

What's wrong with Sudbury? The joke is. There's only hookers & hockey players live there! Oh which team does your wife play for? Old joke!

I have been to Sudbury numerous times, worked there on several occasions, including a 9 month stint. I'd go back in a heart beat! 1.5 hour drive north on the hwy 144 is the most amazing fishing I have experienced, not to mention hunting, hiking, snowmobiling, ATVing & the great outdoors in general. Dara I need an explanation for your comment. Once in the city you have every restaurant, bar & shopping facilities that most bigger cities offer. Don't bash Sudbury unless you've been there for more than a week. Also, in my case if I lived permanently in Sudbury I would only be a 5 hour drive to where I grew up, & where my children & grandchildren reside.

You did not read my disclaimer!

Hey Rick please explain "Sudbury is like my dog's pooping spot" Have you lived in Sudbury? I'm sure North Western Ontario is awesome! I lived in Thunder Bay back in 1971, but I'm warning you now I'm coming to Lake of the Woods this summer!! Look out!! The walleye don't stand a chance!! Let's talk.

Really? No explanation needed imo. Horrible place

Now inbox me about this LOTWs trip so we can meet up?

Edited by manitoubass2

OK, first off, I believe manitou bass added Sudbury to his list at my suggestion :clapping:

Oldironworker..I grew up SE of Broadview and Gerard..DeGrassi St if you can believe it.

W Dunker

I did 2 stints in Sudbury for about 6 months each...needed weeks for pokie

In the winter staying in a motel, I used to fill a cooler with snow to keep my coffee cream and a couple of beverages cold..the grease and soot from that snow torned the inside of a white cooler a black gooey mess...had to toss it out. Its the only city in the country that has bi yearly conferences to bring your car in and get a voucher for a free paint job because the fallout ate the paint off it.

Summer, it is the dirtiest city I have ever seen and the roads are the worst anywhere.

You have to drill and blast to have a basement or sewer line...need I go on?

Oh yeah..the traffic...I would rather drive in Toronto during gay pride weekend

Dara - Yah I have to agree about the poor conditions of the roads. The traffic can be very busy along La Salle Blvd & surrounding streets at rush hour, but the key is avoid travelling those areas at 5:00 pm. While employed there I would usually work 7 - 3:30 so traffic wasn't an issue for me. If I was driving a crane down the street late afternoon during rush hour I didn't care, I was getting paid premium time until I returned to the shop. Thursday night I would pack my camping & fishing gear & head north up the #144 right after work on Friday - camp, fish all week end! Doesn't get any better! I'm not aware of the fallout you describe. I know Extrada smelter (previously Falconbridge) & Vale (used to be Inco) have spent billions on upgrading pollution & environmental issues. Back in the early 70s there wasn't a tree or even scrub brush to be seen, just bare rock! Today there is a lot of greenery to be viewed every where. Blueberries are abundant & the largest I've ever witnessed! Also I was able to jump on my sled or ATV, drive up to my buddies home (2 Kms), go out his back gate & be on the OFSC trails & travel for hundreds of miles. In Fonthill I was stopped by the cops for riding my atv down the shoulder of the road. From my home it's a 7 - 8 hour drive to some of my favourite lakes north of Sudbury. I know I'm only discussing the outdoor activities here. But, is there anything better??

Rick - I'll get back to you when I have a little more time to discuss plans for LOTW.

OK, first off, I believe manitou bass added Sudbury to his list at my suggestion :clapping:

Oldironworker..I grew up SE of Broadview and Gerard..DeGrassi St if you can believe it.

W Dunker

I did 2 stints in Sudbury for about 6 months each...needed weeks for pokie

In the winter staying in a motel, I used to fill a cooler with snow to keep my coffee cream and a couple of beverages cold..the grease and soot from that snow torned the inside of a white cooler a black gooey mess...had to toss it out. Its the only city in the country that has bi yearly conferences to bring your car in and get a voucher for a free paint job because the fallout ate the paint off it.

Summer, it is the dirtiest city I have ever seen and the roads are the worst anywhere.

You have to drill and blast to have a basement or sewer line...need I go on?

Oh yeah..the traffic...I would rather drive in Toronto during gay pride weekend

Yes sir! And when you mentioned it It brought back memories of one of my best friends that worked there lol. He hates that place wuth a passion. Said it was just like thunderbay. Thats all I need to hear to stay away???