Cleaning boat carpet?

I used to use auto carpet cleaner from Canadian Tire and scrub! It worked great but it was a lot of work!

Anyone just take the pressure washer to it? Supposed to be a nice warm day tomorrow...

The pressure washer cleans up the carpet pretty well in my boat. But I have vinyl floors and only have carpet on the ledges, etc. I am not sure how well it would do with the ground in dirt that you would get with a carpet floor.

When I got my one year old boat a few years ago I was all set to rip out the carpet and put in a vinyl floor since I figured the carpet would get destroyed by fishing. Upon further consideration, I decided I would wait a year or two until it was wrecked and then do the floor. I'm still waiting and even after 8 years of abuse it still doesn't look that bad! It's a pretty amazing carpet whatever it is but I'm afraid this year will be its last.

I pressure wash it. Works fine. Even use the do it yourself carwash soap dispenser, then wash it out with the pressure washer function. Just don't put the nozzle to close or you'll have a nice permanent indentation!

Dax, I roll my carpet up when it's dry and take it out of the boat before "Musky Fall" and go with the vinyl there on out. 10 seasons now, I've vacuumed it once while laying on the hangar floor, and it's still like new. Sits at the dock getting rained on for 5 months each season.. the odd fish slim! lol

If it's really dirty I'd think the power washer and laying on the driveway pavement to dry. Just be sure not to roll it up before it's dry.

They last a lot longer when you take care of them!

Or you just fish the hell out of your boat :)

My last boat carpet lasted from 1998 to 2009.

Rebuilt the boat in 2009 with new carpet...should be good at least for another four more years or so. (i hope)

You should get 10 years out of quality carpet....any longer than that, the wood underneath will be rotten.

Some of the most active anglers I know just fish the hell out of their boats....after all, that is why we bought them. (and yes, don't buy used stuff off me :))

Edited by Steve

I have the original carpet in my 89 Ranger while it shows some wear it does not look bad. it has been garage kept though so that helps. The lower section I changed to vinyl so I had a place to land fish and hose it off. The casting deck will always be carpet because the vinyl get to hot in the sun down here.

Art

• 2 weeks later...

I have the original carpet in my 89 Ranger while it shows some wear it does not look bad. it has been garage kept though so that helps. The lower section I changed to vinyl so I had a place to land fish and hose it off. The casting deck will always be carpet because the vinyl get to hot in the sun down here.

Art

Art have you seen that new woven material Ranger is putting in their new boats? Apparently washes down nicely and it's not slippery.

image.jpg1_1.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

Edited by grimsbylander

Rather than soaking the whole thing with a pressure washer I just give my carpet portion a good vacuum with the wet/dry shop vac and spot clean with a diluted mixture of water and spray nine.I use the rest of the mixture to wipe down the seats and floor.Spray nine is one of the best marine based cleaners out there.

Kerry