Interesting video on effects of fish handling

JoshS

Wow. :( can you post the link please? I want to email this on to some people that don't have access to OFC.

If you hit the youtube icon on the bottom right of the video it takes you to the source;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=167&v=a8VETvLLa0o
Edited by Sterling

I wonder what the trout and whitefish in Simcoe look like after a winter. You see reports of guys catching and releasing 20 fish a day and some of them flop around on the ice and freeze or get bear hugged with their snowsuits for a pic.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest using cotton gloves like that to handle fish... I thought it was just common knowledge that the "slime" on the fish was to protect it and to try to not remove it. Obviously a glove like that is going to absorb it.

Also I'm sure the fish's immune system must be compromised from being stressed in that environment. I'm sure that's not helping.

Exactly, releasing it in a bath tub like environment with no natural habitat and food is very stressful and can't be good for its immune system.

I agree that you cant make conclusions based on one fish but i think most of us know that fish slime is a critical part of a fishes makeup, i ve never used a handling glove myself but if you do i thought most people would wet a proper rubber glove not use your work glove.

The less you handle any fish the better off its going to be, i dont think you need video proof to know that.

I agree that you cant make conclusions based on one fish but i think most of us know that fish slime is a critical part of a fishes makeup, i ve never used a handling glove myself but if you do i thought most people would wet a proper rubber glove not use your work glove.

The less you handle any fish the better off its going to be, i dont think you need video proof to know that.

100% but you aren't going to convince people otherwise with videos like this.

Spot on! But its good to know!

Obviously this is "scientifically flawed", but it is interesting nonetheless

Edited by manitoubass2

100% but you aren't going to convince people otherwise with videos like this.

I agree, some people will do what they want regardless. I think anyone who cares already does what they can, those who dont arent likely to change for any number of reasons.

Yeah the science behind the video is sketchy. It could very well be accurate though. Lots of variables need to be explored -maybe it's the cotton, the environment, the brooktrout, etc. But the video's message stays the same. I've seen way too many poor releases where you know the fish is toast.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest using cotton gloves like that to handle fish... I thought it was just common knowledge that the "slime" on the fish was to protect it and to try to not remove it. Obviously a glove like that is going to absorb it.

The cotton glove is frequently used at various fish ladders and lift stations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJVdgg0lQQ

Interesting video , I think there is more to this video then what your seeing . A lot of different factors could come into play

here but who knows. Now there is no doubt proper catch and release habits are good for the fish and gives it a better chance

of survival but I know from first hand knowledge that trout are a little more resilient then what you may think . A group of us

have caught the same lake trout 5 years in a row and at least a couple times that fish has accidently been dropped and mishandled

in the bottom of the boat and it still keeps coming back to fight another day . Now I am in no way condoning bad fish handling habits

but some times a jacked up lake trout finds the bottom of the boat , it happens . But what I am saying is give the fish a chance , you just

never know .