Boat stereo

jjcanoe

Been looking at putting a stereo in the new boat, read a LOT of reviews online about different brands/models and have pretty much decided on the Jensen MS3ARTL (it's the 3.5" round one) Don't need a CD player in it and have somewhat limited dash space. Does anyone have this model in their boat and if so how are you liking it? Give me some pros and cons if you have any thanks!

jjcanoe

I've been using a Pioneer car stereo in my boat for many years with no issues at all.

I have installed it in the left side of my side console boat in a marine mount.

Like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BKMCK2000B-Water-Resistant-Marine-Boat-Car-Radio-Shield-Waterproof-Cover-Black-/141502236938

BKMCK2000B-nobox_zpsb4c37245.jpg

Have a high dollar Pioneer sitting in the closet, it won't fit with out some ugly dash modifications. Not happening on a new boat. No music on my phone (just on the kids phone....) Also not happening! This will be mainly for hooking up MY satellite radio and local cottage country weather reports while I'm out on the water fishing

I can't help with the size of the unit you wish to use. What I can offer is this...We use a clarion marine stereo with XM satellite. The stereo has been in the boat for about 6 years with no issues. One thing I would recommend is to get the best marine speakers you can.

Works great for the ball games and hockey games even when we are in poor reception areas such as the French and Pickerel Rivers.

Also good for tunes as well.

Agreed, quality marine speakers will be added, wiring is already there. My Pioneer is not a marine radio otherwise I would have thought longer about doing hidden modifications and just used the remote, but I want to do things correctly from the start. Know a few people with clarion aboard, nothing bad to say about them other than my budget lol. I've got a portable SXM radio, which I intend to bring along for tunes, cheaper than a second subscription that will hardly get used! I've seen these Jensens as OEM in many new boats including the Crestliner that I have, so I know it will look decent in there.

I have found that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a car stereo for a boat, cars take bumps and humps on the road too. If however you do moor the boat on the water moisture does tend to kill non marine specific electronics. For a boat being trailered I have changed my opinion on this and depending on your degree of audio fidelity taste a 50 buck stereo from a wrecker, Pawn shop or garage sale will do just fine.

I've often thought about that very same thing Dutch, but I don't think the stereo/noise really affects my type of fishing....MUSKIE....If the stupid fish isn't afraid of the electric trolling motor and wants to take a bite out of the housing, I don't think the music will bother it.

Then again, we don't have the volume cranked on it neither. Just loud enough to catch the scores and listen to the play by play. Sometimes, when we are up north and sitting on the dock, we will turn the volume up a bit, but not enough to disturb others.

music does not effect fishing.

well, maybe mentally it does...but not physically.

I run the SUPER shallows for trout and while I cut my outboard and troll on my electric, I always play music.....it doesn't matter.

When I rebuilt my tiller lund I had a custom mount built for my marine stereo and speakers....

music does not effect fishing.

well, maybe mentally it does...but not physically.

I run the SUPER shallows for trout and while I cut my outboard and troll on my electric, I always play music.....it doesn't matter.

When I rebuilt my tiller lund I had a custom mount built for my marine stereo and speakers....

Good to know that my reggae won't make the fish too chill to bite!

Just go to a pawn shop and use a car stereo if it last three seasons replace it again for $50.00.

Funny you mentioned this because I took my old Saturn radio they gave me in 1995 when we asked for a radio with a CD player..........so I took this am/fm Saturn radio and mounted it under the dash so the face of it was sticking out just a little more out then even with the dash and ran silicone calking where the top of the radio met the dash.......that radio never have me any problems for the next 20+ years and got better reception then my new "marine am/fm/CD radio from the factory. And the speaker were just cheap car speakers that I hung facing down under neath the gunnels.....nothing special and both the radio and speakers seen PLENTY of rain over the years.

The most important thing on a boat radio is the ANTENNA believe it or not......if you like to listen to sports shows or ball games while fishing get a good CAR antenna for the boat.

A friend of mine uses a descent blue tooth speaker with his cell phone. What a sound,looking at that for this season.He uses Jango,says very little data used and no commercials. Just another option and completely portable .

If you really want the sound from a cell phone to greatly improve just place the cell phone in a ceramic coffee mug and hear the HUGE difference.