Hey Justin!

Big Cliff

No. of ISIL members: 257,900 (1)

No. of Muslims in the world: 1,600,000,000 (2)

% Of Muslims who are members of ISIL: 0.0001611875%

No. of Westboro Baptist Church members: 40 (3)

No. of Christians in the world: 2,400,000,000

% of Christians who are members of Westboro Baptist Church: 0.000000016666667%

So in both cases, we are taking about less than 1/1000th of 1%. Fringe groups by any definition.

Glen, I have yet to see you put forth an argument, backed with facts and sources on this site. Instead all I see is you sitting back and throwing out smug and sarcastic quips and challenging others to do the work but doing none of your own. I won't be wasting my time like this again because I don't believe you have any interest in the answers to the questions you ask.

Edited by Dutch01

I wasn't talking to you.

I want to know if the hate is because of the bombing or because of infidels.

Well, I haven't seen one of their brodcasts where they said "death to the bombers" but I do seem to remember hearing "death to the infidels"!

Well, I haven't seen one of their brodcasts where they said "death to the bombers" but I do seem to remember hearing "death to the infidels"!

And I have seen Westboro Baptist members yelling "death to f.a.g.s." but I didn't make the mistake of assuming they represent all Christians.

They are a minority, as are ISIL. It seems some people struggle to grasp this simple concept.

They say that all the time...only a few believe it..but they all signed up for the same thing

I hope we all put on our big boy pants and keep this discussion going.I for one am learning a lot from this.To ask for a lock up from anyone who is not verbally slammed is ludicrous. If the original poster as Art said wants it closed,ok,Anyone else should do as most do and take it for what it is. Take a time out if needed,don't ruin a good thread..

Debating people on the internet = :wallbash:

No matter how convincing you think you are there's just too much biased information available that as soon as you're done your spiel they can just go and reaffirm themselves with like-minded individuals.

It's good to challenge your point of view every now and then, but don't take it personally when someone doesn't agree with you.

Know when to give it up, is what I'm trying to say.

Canuck, on 22 Feb 2016 - 8:43 PM, said:

We are on their list because we are infidels not because we bombed them. ISIL is 100% focussed on expanding its view of pure Islam. That's is all it is about. They are not about politics or oil or economics. It's about religious idealism and extermination of the non-believers.

This is what I think is correct.

Canuck, on 22 Feb 2016 - 8:43 PM, said:

We are on their list because we are infidels not because we bombed them. ISIL is 100% focussed on expanding its view of pure Islam. That's is all it is about. They are not about politics or oil or economics. It's about religious idealism and extermination of the non-believers.

This is what I think is correct.

Sad,but that seems to be their goal.

So while researching The Crusades, I came across this piece. Haven't look hard into the site's history or background so take it for what it's worth.

http://theconversation.com/did-the-crusades-lead-to-islamic-state-54478

Their Wikipedia page is a good start:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conversation_(website)

Seems to be academically oriented (both in terms of editorial content and readership), and as such is perceived as having left leaning tendencies.

At any rate I've added this to my reading list for later. Thanks.

Edited by Dutch01

I haven't read the entire piece but what I will say is that when Bush used the word 'Crusade' after 9-11, I thought that was a huge risk. That word is absolutely frought with history and context and it was either used specifically to invoke fear and to shore his Christian base or because it sounded tough. Imo, it was reckless to use that word and he/they should have seen that it might foment hysteria among the extremists. Why poke the bear ? and here we are today...

Edited by woodenboater

I thought Bush said Jihad, he may have said Crusade as well. The toughest job in the world had to be the White House Press Secretary when marble mouth douleya was Prez.

Man this thread is getting deep. I have to say is that Arabic is one of the most difficult languages in the world to directly translate a word in one single English word. I have a pal who's father was a chemical engineer and he lived in the middle east growing up and learned Farsi and Liturgical Arabic. Many Arabic's can't understand each other when they speak. There is a Sicilian dialect that has as much Arabic as Italian. No way some people in Italy can understand a word they are saying to each other and they are both speaking Italian. When I speak Calabrese to my Father he has no clue sometimes as to what I'm saying. Be careful trying to translate a language literally when you have no clue how to speak that language. Japanese is another language that can't be directly translated into English for many words. The same word with a different inflection means something completely different. Say good morning in Japanese to someone in the afternoon or night and it means you or something is late.

Going back to the Crusades? Man this is going to be good.

y the way Woodenboater that link is a good read and from a fairly good source with ties to Sydney University I believe. Sometimes these Internet News sources are a complete joke.