Nova Scotia, PEI...etc etc.. almost NF

John

As others have stated you really need time to see all she has to offer, but a few things I tell most new comers to Blue Nose country to see is The Dutchman's Cheese http://www.thatdutchmansfarm.com/just a awesome time & fantastic Cheese.& you are only a hop skip & jump from 5 Islands which is incredible. If you are feeling up to a beautiful but long drive from there head to Cape d'Or for some amazing scenic views & then up to Joggins for some fossil collecting (ya ya the main beach you aren't suppose to take from) but a 5 min walk west will put you in some great out of the way fossil hunting territory. If you really dig fossil hunting I have a great spot on the Cape but it's a trek getting to. Any trip out east wouldn't be complete with out a stop at Willams Meats for the XXX hot pepperettes just out country side from Stewiacke. If you dig whisky then a stop at Glenora Disillery on the Cape is a must, absolutely stunning local. There is far to many things to name to do on the Cape but most require hiking inland. Someone else has mentioned Port Royal, interesting place for it's history, Halifax is a great little city & one of the best Blues Bars is called Bearly's on Barrington street, rock'n good time to be had there.

My uncle is a regular at the Dutchman's. I receive some nice shipments of Dragon's Breath and Growler every year.

Thought I would throw this out there as I know there are a few East Coaster's on this board.

Barbara and I are planning a trip to Nova Scotia end of August/early Sept. It's still in the planning stage as we haven't decided whether to drive or fly. We are planning a week or so in Nova Scotia and then driving to PEI for 3-4 days. If we fly we can fly into Halifax and home from Charlottetown so really no restrictions there. If we drive we will probably go one way through US and the other through Canada.

OK here's the 'ting.......neither of us have spent any time there so looking for recommendations as a base. Also any must see's or do's other than the typical tourist stuff? We like pretty much everything except laying on the beach (love to walk the beach at low tide though)... To make this a fishing thread, any thoughts suggestions for shore fishing (beach or pier) :) ...?

We can do Bed and Breakfast or rent a cottage/vacation property.

All suggestions/comments/thoughts gratefully received either in this thread or by PM..

Cheers, J...

Boy did you ever come to the right place. Enjoy your trip

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

Love reading this post, makes me homesick.

Being a Herring Choker, DON'T eat Dem, Der Mine. :good::D

Cabot Trail, Hopewell rocks, are a must.

Fresh boiled Shediac Lobster in sea water nothing better and use the molly to dip your tail meat and don't waste the best part the lobster juice, suck it out. :good:

Once you eat a Homer Lobster, you won't eat what they call Lobster here or tails crap.

And a good feed of Piss Clams, life don't get many beder :good:

As Chris Brock mentioned, NFLD will blow you away. :good:

Come on B, chime in Bro. :rolleyes::D

Now I have to get some paper towel to wipe my key board :D

To give Nova Scotia fair justice, you need nearly a month to see all she offers by following the coastal circuit. For only a week, I would focus on Halifax and the South Shore. Give yourself 2 days in Halifax to take a harbour excursion/go fishing out of Eastern Passage, tour the waterfront, Museum of the Atlantic, etc. West of there is Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, the Ovens. Lunenberg should be given a couple of days as well. You can also pick up a whale watching excursion there, or go jigging for cod and mackerel.

I agree. did the trip a few years ago in less than a week and it was as good as driving there and back. I plan to do it again sometime in the near future for minimum 2 week trip. beautiful and peaceful.

I agree. did the trip a few years ago in less than a week and it was as good as driving there and back. I plan to do it again sometime in the near future for minimum 2 week trip. beautiful and peaceful.

Must admit I was spoiled. Have a good chunk of childhood memories from living with my uncle in Dartmouth and Oyster Pond/Jeddore. Then there was the stint as a cadet at Cornwallis touring round the entire province as a bandsman. We played local festivals and events from Sydney across to Yarmouth for a couple of summers.

I have done 2 family road trips in the province, but never more than 2 weeks, and never with time to do Cape Breton.

We did it last year

Stay here http://www.seaparrotoceanviewmanor.com/on the cabot trail, plan to stay there for atleast 3 or 4 days there is a ton of things to do and see. Great spot for a base camp you can go many places from there within a short drive. The owner is a little "out there", she likes to talk. We saw seals and wales from the hot tub overlooking the ocean, it doesn't get better than that!

We did it last year

Stay here http://www.seaparrotoceanviewmanor.com/on the cabot trail, plan to stay there for atleast 3 or 4 days there is a ton of things to do and see. Great spot for a base camp you can go many places from there within a short drive. The owner is a little "out there", she likes to talk. We saw seals and wales from the hot tub overlooking the ocean, it doesn't get better than that!

Thanks appreciate the info..

To give Nova Scotia fair justice, you need nearly a month to see all she offers by following the coastal circuit. For only a week, I would focus on Halifax and the South Shore. Give yourself 2 days in Halifax to take a harbour excursion/go fishing out of Eastern Passage, tour the waterfront, Museum of the Atlantic, etc. West of there is Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, the Ovens. Lunenberg should be given a couple of days as well. You can also pick up a whale watching excursion there, or go jigging for cod and mackerel.

I could spend a month in Halifax area and the south shore and not see or do enough. The same goes for Cape Breton. Save PEI for the next trip and then New Brunswick for the world class Salmon fishing. I have been many times to Nova Scotia now, flights are so cheap fly and rent a car plus the wasted time and the miles put on your personal vehicle, not worth it in my opinion. And stay out of the US if you do drive with the dollars rate today. The price for the ferry at Bar Harbor is in USD. A week in Nova Scotia is a tease so save as much time as possible and fly. A week car rental is cheap now.

I could spend a month in Halifax area and the south shore and not see or do enough. The same goes for Cape Breton. Save PEI for the next trip and then New Brunswick for the world class Salmon fishing. I have been many times to Nova Scotia now, flights are so cheap fly and rent a car plus the wasted time and the miles put on your personal vehicle, not worth it in my opinion. And stay out of the US if you do drive with the dollars rate today. The price for the ferry at Bar Harbor is in USD. A week in Nova Scotia is a tease so save as much time as possible and fly. A week car rental is cheap now.

We are pretty sure that we are going to fly and take two weeks.