Only one fish this weekend.......

fishnsled

My weekend started off by helping my grandfather get rid of some stuff. He's down sizing and moving into a condo at the end of the month so a lot of stuff to clear out and either family members are taking it, goes to Salvation Army or to the dump. Since I'm the lucky guy with the pick up, I get to go to the dump. After a couple of trips, it was time to make the girlfriend happy and go to Ikea, man I hate the store, the layout really sucks. Once we were done there it was off to BPS and time to make me happy. I ran into Roger and had a nice chat. Apparently there were a few ofncer's that were in before me. I picked up some supplies for my up coming trip and headed home to prepare for my Sunday fish.

Sunday I went out with my long time buddy MC. Some of you may remember him as the guy who makes cane rods. When he showed up bright and early Sunday morning he brought along his latest work to show off. A Mark IV carp rod that he made for a guy in England and was to ship off today and a 3 weight fly rod he made for himself. He does some incredible work on these rods and has made 17 to date. After a bit of catching up and loading we were off to the Kawarthas. On the way we saw 4 deer off in a field and I knew that if we never even got a fish it was still a good day.

We arrived at the lake and started off working a weedline for walleye. On my second cast I had what we guesstimated was a 15 pound muskie follow up to the boat. Worked the area for a few minutes but he didn't come back. I continued working the weedline for muskies and MC kept going for the walleyes. About 20 minutes later a bigger muskie then the first one follows up and swims away. Didn't return either. Well a pretty exciting start to the day and even thought there was nothing boated we were very happy with the start.

We ended up seeing another fish of about 10-12 pounds just lying around that wasn't interested in our baits. I had another smaller fish of about 4-5 pounds come and take a swipe at my bait and missed it. Then things went quite, nothing for a couple of hours. We stopped to have some lunch and noticed a bunch of smaller fish busting at the surface. We went to investigate and saw a ton of perch. So we down size and must have caught 30 perch in a half hour. A nice break in the day. We decide to try some shallower water and must have seen 7 or 8 smaller muskies sunning themselves but were not interested and our baits.

We went back to the deeper edges. The wind had picked up a bit and what do you know??? FISH ON!! :w00t: It was a good size fish and was putting up a great fight. At a first sight we both agreed it was probably a mid teen fish. After a couple of runs and a much better look we decided it was pushing 20 pounds. At the end of the battle the fish was 47 inches and weighed in at 20.5 pounds. (We have a weigh sack as not to hurt the fish) Back into the water and after some reviving time she swam away strong. :thumbsup_anim:

Another hour or so on the water got MC a follow of a smallish fish and I had a fish on and lost after a couple of seconds. We decide it was a great day and headed home. MC made a call home to his wife to let her know that we were on our way. He found out he had another order for a cane rod, this time it will be going to Sweden. He's starting to get known all around the world for his work, pretty cool. B)

OK enough with chitchat and onto some pics. Enjoy!

Resident loon. Always nice to see.

med_gallery_103_86_170417.jpg

One of the many sunbathers we saw that were not interested in our baits.

med_gallery_103_86_85723.jpg

FISH ON!!!

med_gallery_103_86_60549.jpg

Thick fish.

med_gallery_103_86_82134.jpg

Not done yet.

med_gallery_103_86_161238.jpg

Beauty!

med_gallery_103_86_65693.jpg

med_gallery_103_86_35966.jpg

Back ya go.

med_gallery_103_86_125175.jpg

med_gallery_103_86_691.jpg

med_gallery_103_86_101801.jpg

And finallly many thanks to my long time buddy MC for taking such great shots. After nearly 20 years of fishing together it's always great to spend the day together.

med_gallery_103_86_75775.jpg

We'll do it again in a few weeks.