Anybody working over Christmas ??

lew

I worked last year but I'm scheduled off this one . I have to go in on new years day though.. no big deal... my workplace isn't much different than Chris Brocks.. no thanks or Christmas party etc.. not even a handshake from anyone other than the shift foreman.

I had a bunch of personal days, N days and sick days to use up as well as 120 hours of vacation time.... I normally work every stat holiday I can get my hands on at triple time as well.. The money is too good to turn down around 1000.00 for one shift? Sign me up!

This year is different though I used my personal days and sick days up (use em or lose em) I've been off for a week now, I go in for one shift on the 27 and off for another week :) and I still need to use my 120hours of vacation before April!

No shut down at YYZ (Pearson) Just going out the door now and heading down to the tarmac to park/push some planes around .

At least it is nice weather out , that will be the only plus to working today . :santa:

I got out of the Navy in '67 and had awhile to wait before getting on the Fire Dept. and my buddy got me on with a private company at the airport. We had our own private hangar and looked after Eastern, American, Caladonia and BOAC

Only terminal out there in those days was the old round terminal 1 and Dixon Rd was a country lane compared to today.

That tarmac is a cold unforgiving place when the winter storms are blowing across those wide open fields.

Edited by lew

I worked last year but I'm scheduled off this one . I have to go in on new years day though.. no big deal... my workplace isn't much different than Chris Brocks.. no thanks or Christmas party etc.. not even a handshake from anyone other than the shift foreman.

Don't we know it Phil,

After working at Stelco for almost 40 years, now we sit wondering if we're going to get a pension cheque next month after our neighbours south took it over and our fine government's secret deal with them. :wallbash:

Getting back to Lew's Question, I'm retired so I'm off Christmas but next year could be a different sorry?? Might be looking for a part time senior job. :whistling:

Getting back to Lew's Question, I'm retired so I'm off Christmas but next year could be a different sorry?? Might be looking for a part time senior job. :whistling:

That stinks Dave, sure hope things work out for you and everybody else who's affected by this.

Ah I can see it now.

Welcome to walmart byes, good morning me duckies, have at,r and have a righton day eh.

Sorry,couldnt hold that back me bye.

To work 40 years and get the shaft, is not the way it,s suppose to end Dave.

Dave, I have had a few sleepless nights. Apparently my salary pension is taking a 14% hit on January 1 and you guys are taking an even bigger hit. It absolutely is shameful as to what is transpiring. That coupled with our loss of major medical benefits ($600.00 a month for all the crap I was taking) is really making me reflect on my life's work there as well as working out here at the lake for a time in 79 and 80 and wondering if all the sacrifices we made was a complete waste. The only other place I worked until I retired was Russell's Drug store at King and Rosedale when I was 15. At 16 I started driving Euclid's on weekends and summers. 40 hour weekends when I could get them, man this doesn't feel very good Dave.

Sorry all for the rant and off topic. I needed to vent.

Hey Fish Farmer, don't you remember when the Foremen would hand out a pack of Export A cigarettes or a chocolate bar to anyone that worked Christmas? The shift GF did in the Blast Furnaces. Too bad if you didn't smoke or had Diabetes.

I remember Johnny and I've never smoked, my work mates liked it, take mine gift. :D Another gift I got was a can opener, the ones used before flip top cans :) .

Ah I can see it now.

Welcome to walmart byes, good morning me duckies, have at,r and have a righton day eh.

Sorry,couldnt hold that back me bye.

To work 40 years and get the shaft, is not the way it,s suppose to end Dave.

You got that right bro.

My old work mates 70 & 80, some in walkers keep asking at the Legion what are we going to do. :dunno::unsure:

What are we going to do Dave? Do whatever we need to to survive. I love this country but it can make criminals out of law abiding, pay all our taxes on time, work 8 out of 10 holidays and drag your ass in there for 40 years, in my case only 33. 110F on the floor and 0 unloading frozen material on the High Docks. You had the same thing up in that crane. I hear medical benefits are covered in the pokey where some guys may just end up. There was a movie about a crew of geriatric wiseguys that rob a bank in Boca Raton. Please watch my walker while I rob this bank. I left very early with our Ironmaking 25 and out pensions, I had a crystal ball behind #3 stove at E Furnace. I told anyone that would listen the sky is falling and they called me Chicken Little in 2000. I thought I would only get a few years in before they went teats up, I was wrong. I can't even stand long enough to hand out carts at Wally World, I wish.

What are we going to do Dave? Do whatever we need to to survive. I love this country but it can make criminals out of law abiding, pay all our taxes on time, work 8 out of 10 holidays and drag your ass in there for 40 years, in my case only 33. 110F on the floor and 0 unloading frozen material on the High Docks. You had the same thing up in that crane. I hear medical benefits are covered in the pokey where some guys may just end up. There was a movie about a crew of geriatric wiseguys that rob a bank in Boca Raton. Please watch my walker while I rob this bank. I left very early with our Ironmaking 25 and out pensions, I had a crystal ball behind #3 stove at E Furnace. I told anyone that would listen the sky is falling and they called me Chicken Little in 2000. I thought I would only get a few years in before they went teats up, I was wrong. I can't even stand long enough to hand out carts at Wally World, I wish.

Dave and John, I just keep going to work hoping that the gates aren't locked.. looks like another 8 might get axed from my department on top of the 8 already on layoff.. we had a crew that had to work Christmas day and the following 2 days, then they are scheduled in on new years eve...Now that is a crappy schedule!.. the extra money can't replace family time in my opinion ... with my father in law dying of cancer and this being his last Christmas, I was happy to be off to make it as nice as I could considering the circumstances...

Pics I am very sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. Yea just keep truckin along is all you can really do. I must have worked over 20 Christmases and New Years in all those years. Even when I was on days for a few years we had to go in for the shut downs and then start ups. It was part of the deal because I knew a good, really good, pension was at the end of the tunnel. I had enough for site to take it early even though I took a major hit. So I consider myself luckier than others.

Will we see you on the 9th? Try and make it.

Pics I am very sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. Yea just keep truckin along is all you can really do. I must have worked over 20 Christmases and New Years in all those years. Even when I was on days for a few years we had to go in for the shut downs and then start ups. It was part of the deal because I knew a good, really good, pension was at the end of the tunnel. I had enough for site to take it early even though I took a major hit. So I consider myself luckier than others.

Will we see you on the 9th? Try and make it.

I will see if I can make it..