A single safety flare

captpierre

Just read the story in Mclean's about the whale watching boat that capsized off Tofino.

Water was 12 C.

A female deck hand managed to get 1 flare off.

Fishermen 10 min away saw it and saved 21 people. Some covered in diesel. 5 died.

Sobering story.

Gotta get some flares if out on big water.

Maybe for me too on Pigeon.

Just read the story in Mclean's about the whale watching boat that capsized off Tofino.

Water was 12 C.

Fishermen 10 min away saw it and saved 21 people. Some covered in diesel. 5 died.

Sobering story.

Not a bad idea at all. Cheap insurance.

Water was 12 C.

Sobering story.

A few years ago when I first started getting into bigger boats and bigger water , on one cold November day I was invited out on Erie with a friend giving the project boat a trial run. He had been out the day before and everything ran like a top. Even so, we didn't stray too far, not even past Pottohawk. Crusing out to the fishing grounds and the motor died. Kicker , main, both kaput (turns out had some bad gas). We're the only boat on the water. Cell phone has 2 bars, call a local charter capt after taking forever to to connect to the internet and find his webpage. Fortunately, he answered. We had no gps , so all we could give was a rough estimate of location and the fact we were without power and drifting. About a half hour, 45 minutes later we see the boat and hear him on our hand held radio. Asking where we are. But he can't hear us. We can see him doing a search pattern. He keeps trying to contact us and all he hears is static. After about 20, 30 minutes we hear him say he is going to be heading back in, cause by now he can't even hear the static ( he was getting further and further away), and we have no bars on the cell phone to contact him. We find one flare, well past its expiry date, but it works, and they see us just as they are turning to head in.

Some people ask why I have a 8 foot antenna, DSC radio with an MMSI# and 4 flares on my boat. I just smile.

I just buy the hand held ones. Not visible as far away,as it is more on the horizon compared to a flare sent up in the air, but the smoke plume will work for 95% of the situations I will experience, There is usually someone selling them at the spring boat shows, with good discounts. Less than the cost of a tank of gas for 6 of them.

A DSC radio combined with an MMSI# and your chartplotter is gonna be far more helpful if you are so far from anyone that the flare gun's extra height is needed in my opinion.

I carry these hand held skyblazer arial flares in the small boat since they are a little less bulky than the gun and shell kit. They launch to 450' and fit easily into the glove box, your orange can of crap safety kit, or even your life vest pocket.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/orion--skyblazer-ii-aerial-flares-four-pack--10344976