Bass pro buying Cabela's???

kickingfrog

Not sure what to think.

http://fishingtackleretailer.com/bass-pro-shops-to-buy-cabelas/

Bass Pro Shops to Buy Cabelas?

Tackle industry retail giant Bass Pro Shops is exploring an offer for one of its largest competitors—Cabela’s, Inc.

According to a Nov. 5, report from Reuters, Bass Pro Shops is in the process of securing financing for a potential offer that would target Cabela’s. Both parties declined Reuters’ requests for comment, though shares of Cabela’s have risen by as much as 13-percent in light of the news. Both companies operate substantial, multi-million dollar direct sales and retail destination-store operations.

Cabela’s, a publicly owned company, reported $1.2 billion in revenue last year: $810.6 million of that came from retail stores; $349.9 million came from direct sales. Cabela’s operates 77 brick-and-mortar stores in the United States.

Bass Pro Shops is estimated by Forbes to have brought in over $4 billion in revenue last year. It ranks as one of the 100 largest privately owned companies in the country. The Springfield, MO-based giant employs some 20,000 people in 94 retail stores spread across the United States.

Fishing Tackle Retailer will continue to update this story as details emerge.

I will give one plus here on this.

BPS nows how to stock. This is where our local Cabelas failed.

As one that was so looking forward to thier arrival here, I am very disappointed.

EDIT to add

I have spent more $ at our local small guy shop. He has done well supplying for the area.

Edited by Brian B

find myself going to bass pro simply because the sail in vaughan is in a stupid location.

Id much prefer to shop at sail, but taking a 15 minute driving detour on highway 7 crap show isnt worth it. Who came up with putting a store beside the highway nowhere near any local off ramps?

Edited by AKRISONER

I still prefer to shop at the smaller locally owned tackle shops. Do some price comparisons & you'll save at the small shops. So, if BPS buys Cabels -

I don't really care!

Same here.

Plus you can get wicked discounts at ma and pa shops when your a loyal customer!

Plus youll gain a friendship?

From what I understand, the Canadian stores are not owned by theUSA owner. Is this true?

I could not get something shipped from the USA stores, as the one here said they were Canadian owned, and they didnt do bussiness with the USA branches.

Edited by Brian B

From what I understand, the Canadian stores are not owned by theUSA owner. Is this true?

I could not get something shipped from the USA stores, as the one here said they were Canadian owned, and they didnt do bussiness with the USA branches.

The big difference between Canada stores and USA stores are the size and price....many of the USA store are huge and price is much lower.

The big difference between Canada stores and USA stores are the size and price....many of the USA store are huge and price is much lower.

Thats not what I was getting at MR G. My point was, I could not have a product shipped to my local store from a USA store ( like they offer here in Canada ( AT NO CHARGE ). This is why I get the impression they are not owned by the same.

I have found the same with our local Wal mart. They do not carry anything close to what they do in the USA market, Yet, when I ask about getting a product shipped up here,I get the same answer. NO.

What,s up with that?

Im willing to pay what ever the dollar value is. I cannot see there being shipping costs,as they are shipping products up anyways.

This to me, would be great customer service. It,s a win win for all. NO?

Some updated news out of the US.

http://www.kulr8.com/story/30496958/cabelas-employees-say-managers-confirm-store-will-close-jan-1

BILLINGS -

We have developing news regarding a major retailer here in Billings. Sources told KULR-8's Leah Jordan that a major buyout is coming regarding Cabela's.

Several employees expressed concern about what the looming buyout means for the future. Management confirmed to employees Monday that a competitor may buy out Cabela's, according to an anonymous staff member.

The sources said the deal was finalized Nov. 9, and the formal take-over will be Jan. 1, 2016.

One employee agreed to speak with KULR-8 on camera under the condition that we protect their identity.

"The manager had told her that her job was going to basically be overcome Jan 1. Several other people were commenting on it, and as I was leaving work another employee was talking to a department manager. So I stopped and caught the tail end of their conversation, so I approached him and said, 'So this is true? We are being bought out and we are not going to have jobs?' He said, 'I don't know whether they will keep anyone, I don't know if the store will stay open or what their plans are.' I said, 'Well, is the January 1st deadline true?' And he said, 'Yes.'" the anonymous employee said.

The employee told us management was specifically instructed not to disclose the deal involving the potential buyout.

There are still many unanswered questions about what it means for jobs after the start of the new year.

Cabela's stock price has fallen 37 percent since the beginning of the year.

The employee tells us the competitor is Bass Pro Shops. We reached out to Bass Pro Shops; they declined to discuss any looming deals.

Cabela's has not responded as of this evening. We will continue to reach out to them for comment.

KULR-8 will continue calling Cabela's for comment and working to gather more information on this story.

I can honestly say that Johnny Morris of BPS fame is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He also listened to my complaints about his companies mail order business dealings with us Canooks. And he implemented the changes I requested which I thought was awesome. I also complained that his company and Cabelas both had free shipping deals to US addresses but not for us Canooks.

Now their free shipping deals include Canada. I'm hoping their take over of Cabelas means free shipping deals from them as well.

Time will tell if they rebrand the Cabelas stores or keep them as a separate entity.

As for sails web site,ya sucks, but it,s only a 25 minute drive down the high way for me, and well worth the drive as their Vaughan store is well stocked. They also have knowledgeable staff. It was funny to hear from a river guy last weekend that the one near Hamilton was not very good. I would of thought they would all be the same.

Im curious to see,hear, if they are going to open up near here. I guess an email to them wouldn't hurt to ask.

That Richie guy, seems to have the inside scoop about these things.

At least Cabelas has a Canadian website in $CDN with Canadian shipping. BPS has been here for what, a decade, and still hasn't gotten a Canadian website together. Screw 'em...

^ This. Tells me they're taking Cdn customers for granted. Sail may not have the same fishing lineups (that's what smaller stores are for tbh) but their camping section has enough variety for me.