I had a HOOT this morning

misfish

This morning was a HOOT.

I am always getting to my fishing spots way before light. I like to get all set and ready. Coffee and a toasted bagel to get my belly ready for the mornings event.

This morning was a bit different. As I was getting my waders on and getting the gear ready, there was a couple of owls hooting away. Total darkness and listening to them chatter about was so cool to listen too. I listened for a bit then well,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I thought what the hell, put the camera on the back of the truck, press record, and try to chat with them.

It didnt take much to carry on a conversation with them. There was one to my right a fair distance away on the other side of the river. He seemed to be the one that wanted to chat the most. There was one to my right that joined in. He would hoot a bit and fly. I could hear him launch from tree to tree as his wings made a loud noise.( couldnt pick that up on the recording saddly) Is was a pretty cool experince.

Turn up the volume a bit. Sorry for my bad hoot calls, but they seemed to work. :lol:

Edited by Brian B

You're a hoot!

Listen for cougar calls, you may want to record bthose too :)

You mean like:

"My ex husband was such an idiot. You look like such a sweet young man. Buy me a drink, sweety?"

Edited by Canuck

Great Horned Owl

Thanks Dozer

I wonder if these owls will stay put once day light comes? If so, and I can pin point the direction of the calls in the dark, I could find one to take some pics. The trees are getting baron. Would they stand out?

Edit to add

I did notice the calling stopped just aspartial daylight had started.

Edited by Brian B

Thanks Dozer

I wonder if these owls will stay put once day light comes? If so, and I can pin point the direction of the calls in the dark, I could find one to take some pics. The trees are getting baron. Would they stand out?

Edit to add

I did notice the calling stopped just aspartial daylight had started.

They'll be in the same area but dam hard to find any big really big pine trees there??

Yup rod,theres lots there.

Check way up high and really close to the trunk of the tree they blend in so good also check for an old hawk nest they may take it over for there nest Great Horned Owl's don't make a nest them selves just take one over or sometimes you see a laundry basket in a tree with sticks in it some people try to help