Fall walleye - my favorite time of year

Dutch01

I know, I know, a :Gonefishing: thread from Dutch? Who would have thought..... :rofl2:

I just created a photobucket account and have to experiment on you guys!

Seriously, though. I love this time of year! My boat is new (to me) and I don't have a survival suit, so I put her to bed for winter:

058_zps9zytd4p8.jpg

Luckily, I don't need a boat to catch walleye this time of year

DISCLAIMER: I am very aware of regs, and would never break them. Instead of explaining if every picture of fish or a stringer was legal, let me say right now YES.

We had some very slow days to start off but I think we were just over-eager and started too early. They've really been "on" lately - except for last night but that's another story :(

The "supermoon" over my favorite lake:

016_zps4dzqsfjh.jpg

The fish we caught early on were fairly skinny. You'll see a difference in some of the later fish.

023_zpsdeey5yt9.jpg

033_zpsv4eynrbk.jpg

A true (one man) double header. This blew my mind, I was using a pickerel rig and fighting in a fish. Suddenly there was a big weight, but no real fight anymore. I shined my light and I thought there was a walleye following the fish I was fighting (it all happened so fast). When it was all over, I could not believe what I saw in the net!

035_zpsai9xlics.png

We get fish like this all the time:

047_zpsusdclacb.jpg

That's my bro in law. Our kids are now 12 and love to come with us, even at night, in the cold, in the rain etc they're loving it. The smiles are priceless!

Nephew with a huge smile (some spot hiding necessary!):

063_zpszxoqtxpr.jpg

My Son caught a whopper last weekend! A true five-pounder, trust me the picture does not do it justice! He caught 9 of our total 23 fish for the night, and hasn't let me live it down since :wallbash:

070_zpsohnqaoge.jpg

It was so worth the razzing though, he asks me every other day when I can take him again :good::clapping:

It's nice that there's a place to make a fire, this time of year it really makes a difference. Luckily I get free junk pallets from work so I have all the firewood I need, I just have to carry it out there. Which sucks. But whatever!

042_zpsuij5bwku.jpg

It's 98% walleye at my spots but occasionally we get an outlier (sorry for the focus, night pics aren't always easy to take):

039_zpslaaurqyb.jpg

Sunday two weeks ago, and Saturday last weekend were two of the best days I've had in a while. Due to darkness and weather (and the fact the fish didn't stop biting), we didn't take pics of each fish, but this will give you an idea of how they are fattening up!

This is what we kept Sunday two weeks ago (many more were released). Note the giant Musky bite on the one walleye! I missed it in the dark until I got home. I would have let him go if I'd seen it. The fillet's were pretty chewed up and gross.

056_zpsfaugeac5.jpg

And this was last Saturday in the crazy wind and driving rain. It was a wild night!

073_zpssi7gkkci.jpg

Last night, I was sure they'd be on. Famous last words. I got a 19" at my first spot, and a 12" at my second. Sloooooow.....

It's been a great fall already and I still have two weeks until close at my spots. Someone told me yesterday about a shore spot on Quinte, so I may just extend my season after Nov. 15!

I've never shore fished Quinte so I might post on the board when I'm headed and see who will be in the area.

Good luck out there guys.

Dutch

What kind of weight are you using on those pickeral rigs?

It depends on which spot I'm at. If low current, 3/8 to 5/8, if more current then 5/8 to 3/4.

Truth be told most of those fish were caught on a red Gamakatsu octopus hook, split shot and minnow under a float. One of my spots has a pier and I'll take the float off and "walk the dog" up and down too.

I don't use anything other than minnows this time of year.