Possible bobcat sighting

Dutch01

Driving home from my favorite Kawartha lake late last night (around 100am) when a very, very large cat ran across the road in front of my truck. This was east of Beaverton.

I see coyotes and bears up there all the time and I KNOW it wasn't one of those.. I don't think it was large enough to be a cougar, and it didn't have a long enough tail.

Had anyone ever seen a lynx or bobcat this far south before?

Bobcat's range extends south to Florida and Mexico. Southern Ontario would be the northern extent of their range. It would also be near the southern limit of the range for lynx.

I think a bobcat would be more likely than lynx in that area. But both are possible.

Bobcat's range extends south to Florida and Mexico. Southern Ontario would be the northern extent of their range. It would also be near the southern limit of the range for lynx.

I think a bobcat would be more likely than lynx in that area. But both are possible.

Yes, but neither of them have that long tail. Once you see that tail, you know its a cat. There is no other creature with a tail like that.

S.

Yes, but neither of them have that long tail. Once you see that tail, you know its a cat. There is no other creature with a tail like that.

S.

The OP said that it didn't have a long enough tail to be a cougar. So (depending on exactly how short the tail was), a lynx or bobcat would make sense.

The OP said that it didn't have a long enough tail to be a cougar. So (depending on exactly how short the tail was), a lynx or bobcat would make sense.

You're right, I didn't really see a tail at all (it was dark). I know it wasn't a cougar it wasn't quite big enough and no long tail.

I really thought bobcat or lynx right away but wasn't sure they can be seen around here...

Edited by Dutch01

About 10 or 12 years ago while driving out of our trailer park; my son and I saw a bobcat in the woods on the side of the driveway. We stopped the truck and sat there for at least 10 minutes; the whole time the cat didn't move, it was like staring at a statue. Then it crouched the slightest bit and then jumped out of the small clearing and was gone.

The park is just outside of Normandale (down by Turkey Point), which is about 15klm South of Delhi. So yea these cats are around and after my ten minute encounter, I can understand why and how they are not spotted very often; It just disappeared not making a sound.

Dan.

About 10 or 12 years ago while driving out of our trailer park; my son and I saw a bobcat in the woods on the side of the driveway. We stopped the truck and sat there for at least 10 minutes; the whole time the cat didn't move, it was like staring at a statue. Then it crouched the slightest bit and then jumped out of the small clearing and was gone.

The park is just outside of Normandale (down by Turkey Point), which is about 15klm South of Delhi. So yea these cats are around and after my ten minute encounter, I can understand why and how they are not spotted very often; It just disappeared not making a sound.

Dan.

Thanks Dan. Quite a few people offline saying I'm crazy there's no bobcats in southern Ontario. Glad to hear I'm not the only person to have seen one. Edited by Dutch01

Here is a bobcat I captured on Cam this summer. I live near North Bay

Last fall, while in a tree stand I saw one (I like to think the same one) stalk and attack two fawns. It was incredible and hilarious.

Bobcats are smaller and darker in colour than a Lynx

08070005_zpsr7ssxgw6.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

The bobcat completely fumbled it. He took 15 minutes to move 5 feet, then lunged at one of the fawns facing it. The first deer ran off immediately so the bobcat paused while the second deer looked at the feeling first fawn. The bobcat realized the second one was staying still, but he double clutched it and the second one eventually got wise and ran off. After the two deer escaped, ol' bobby plunged into the forest after them and that was the last I saw. Haha