2015/2016 Hockey Thread

LostAnotherOne

If they are,why are mtl,Toronto,Edmonton,Vancouver ,Winnipeg ,not sure about Calgary full all the time?.To me ,that is not the reason?. Thinking not revenue maybe marketing?or something else has to be the reason. tv,Radio?. Sure not a fan issue from what I see.I may be wrong again lol.

its marketing, clubs like arizona, florida, atlanta, before they were moved and up til Gretzky was traded , LA. Hockey is still being branded in the southern US. a lot of customers of mine have gotten tickets given to them in the grocery store parking lot to go to a panthers game just so they can fill seats.

top 3 sports in the us i would say football, basketball, baseball

top 3 in canada, hockey, football, soccer

Edited by FloatnFly

Wow, actually kind of shocked that Reimer was let go and Bernier was kept. Bernier clearly hasn't shown he is capable as a #1 goalie. That said the laffs are really cleaning house, you would expect them to keep some guys as a foundation for rebuilding. I see the laffs going nowhere for at least 5-6 years or more. Would be nice to have some Canadian content in the playoffs. I personally won't even watch the playoffs if there is no Canadian representation.

Sad

Wow, actually kind of shocked that Reimer was let go and Bernier was kept. Bernier clearly hasn't shown he is capable as a #1 goalie. That said the laffs are really cleaning house, you would expect them to keep some guys as a foundation for rebuilding. I see the laffs going nowhere for at least 5-6 years or more. Would be nice to have some Canadian content in the playoffs. I personally won't even watch the playoffs if there is no Canadian representation.

Sad

I like reimer as a personalility, but him and bernie are not good goaltenders, at all.

I hope reimer does well with a better coach/team

Bernier is about to burn his career

Sad

LA Kings and Chicago Blackhawks have the highest number of Canadian players on their rosters

Sad

Reimer is a UFA at the end of the season. If they are not planning on re-signing him then they may as well get something for him now rather than nothing in the spring. Bernier is still under contract next year. They will probably trade him next year.

I think that Reimer was going to ask for more money than the leafs were will to pay. They have too much $$$ tied up in Bernier now to give Reimer $3 mil or more. It can't hurt their chances at getting one of the top three picks either. I don't think anyone inquired about Bernier, but I'm sure they would have sent him on his way if there was an offer.

Hopefully Sparks doesn't come in like a star that her might be in the future.

Sad

From what I heard, the leafs office asked Reimer what he wanted. He said '$6 million' and the Management said 'there's the door'.

Listening to Deringer and Andy Frost this morning,I will abort this ship for now.He said the cap room is crazy now ,and giving away any one that was something.We did not have to start over again for the 40th time or whatever.Watching what was offered to build around ,with having money ,and just using draft choices for the most part whenever ??????????????????trading again.I sure am done with this again.JMO guys.Too much too long.

Listening to Deringer and Andy Frost this morning,I will abort this ship for now.He said the cap room is crazy now ,and giving away any one that was something.We did not have to start over again for the 40th time or whatever.Watching what was offered to build around ,with having money ,and just using draft choices for the most part whenever ??????????????????trading again.I sure am done with this again.JMO guys.Too much too long.

i hear your frustration but i dont think any of the players dealt were what you'd call core pieces TO build around. not sure we have any of those at the NHL level yet. maybe van riemsdyk and reilly.

Edited by Raf

i hear your frustration but i dont think any of the players dealt were what you'd call core pieces TO build around. not sure we have any of those at the NHL level yet. maybe van riemsdyk and reilly.

Raf ,some descent names were dealt,whether trying to get a defence man or whatever? Chicago ,I know is in a playoff run,they still have room I would think?,rental or whatever.I believe a name or two could of fit well here at least for a start.I can't remember who at the moment ,but there was some descent players.Anything good ?still for today?,not sure when the deadline is.

Raf ,some descent names were dealt,whether trying to get a defence man or whatever? Chicago ,I know is in a playoff run,they still have room I would think?,rental or whatever.I believe a name or two could of fit well here at least for a start.I can't remember who at the moment ,but there was some descent players.Anything good ?still for today?,not sure when the deadline is.

Deadline was 43 minutes ago.

The deadline was 3:00pm today. They are not looking for player for today. They are looking for player for five or so years from now. Trying to get a player that will help them today will probably to detrimental to their success five years from now when they may actually have a chance to make a deep run into the playoffs.

The deadline was 3:00pm today. They are not looking for player for today. They are looking for player for five or so years from now. Trying to get a player that will help them today will probably to detrimental to their success five years from now when they may actually have a chance to make a deep run into the playoffs.

John,same old song for years,they have already lost fans for now.JMO again guys,waste of time with the high end management,5 years,with money?,not spending any?, Makes me upset the richest team in the league,and again MAYBE 5 years?.What a waste of money up top imo.

John,same old song for years,they have already lost fans for now.JMO again guys,waste of time with the high end management,5 years,with money?,not spending any?, Makes me upset the richest team in the league,and again MAYBE 5 years?.What a waste of money up top imo.

Wait until the draft and then July 1st and see what transpires. ;)

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=871447

Trade Deadline signals beginning of youth movement
Monday, 02.29.2016 / 5:15 PM ET / News
By Adam Proteau
loublogfeb9.jpg

The Maple Leafs finished up their extensive roster work late Sunday and early Monday with a number of moves – some of which involved deals prior to the NHL trade deadline, while others came in the form of player movement between the Leafs and AHL Marlies. And although some familiar names moved out of Toronto, the franchise’s youth push is moving full-steam ahead, and that presents an exciting challenge for Buds head coach Mike Babcock & Co.

“Eight years of junior I coached, but I never had a team this young in the American League,” Babcock said prior to Toronto’s game against Tampa Bay Monday at Air Canada Centre. “Obviously, it’s exciting, you watch them they’re exciting. But they’re also kids.”

The Leafs made a deal late Sunday night with Washington that sent forward Daniel Winnik and Anaheim’s fifth-round draft pick in 2016 to the Capitals in exchange for forward Brooks Laich, minor-league prospect defenceman Connor Carrick and a second-round pick this summer. And while they didn’t make any further moves before the 3 p.m. trade deadline, their recent run of manoeuvres saw Toronto GM Lou Lamoriello also ship out goalie James Reimer, blueliners Dion Phaneuf and Roman Polak, and forwards Shawn Matthias and Nick Spaling in various transactions, and bring in four second-round draft picks, two fourth-rounders, veterans Milan Michalek and a number of experienced pros for the Marlies roster. In addition, the Leafs recalled five forwards from the Marlies Monday – William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Zach Hyman,Nikita Soshnikov and Ben Smith – and loaned forwards Mark Arcobello, Josh Leivo and Brendan Leipsic to the Marlies.

All in all, the roster reshaping made clear what the plan is for Toronto in the months and years ahead: patience, development and a reliance on a deep pool of young talent that’s only getting deeper.

“This was our plan all along,” Lamoriello said in a post-trade-deadline press conference. “Once we got to the trade deadline, we felt it was the opportune time with 20 games left (in the NHL regular season) to try and get as many of these young guys that we can in here to get the experience, and yet keep them all eligible to go back for the (AHL) playoffs. It’s what’s best for their development.”

The Leafs will take on the Bolts with seven new faces (including Laich and Carrick) in the lineup, and Buds fans likely will be most interested to see the NHL debuts of youngsters Nylander, Kapanen, Soshnikov and Hyman, none of whom are older than 23. All four forwards have enjoyed stellar seasons with the Marlies, and with Leafs veterans Tyler Bozak, James van Riemsdyk and Joffrey Lupul on the sidelines nursing injuries, the quartet will have every chance to make a positive impression on Babcock and team brass.

“I want to know who’s a real player,” Babcock said of the opportunity awaiting the newest Leafs. “Just because you did it in the American League doesn’t mean you’re going to do it here. I want to know who’s got upside, and who’s got hockey sense, and who’s got determination, who lives right, who’s going to be a Maple Leaf for a long period of time, and who’s not.”

Despite speculation, the Leafs did not find an appropriate trade for winger P-A Parenteau, who has repeatedly expressed his happiness playing in Toronto. He and fellow veterans Leo Komarov – whom Lamoriello said was “a core member” of the team he didn’t consider moving – and Matt Hunwick will be relied on the rest of the season to show the Buds’ fresh faces what it means to be a professional at the NHL level. And the organization will continue to work with their youth to create a competitive core it hopes eventually will rival any in the league.

“To say that we would not have given P-A an opportunity to go to a team if it was the right decision, we were, we were prepared to do that,” Lamoriello said of Parenteau. “(A trade) did not work out, he’s here, he’s had an excellent year, and he’ll help the young guys along throughout the process.”

Lamoriello – who also noted defenceman Jared Cowen would not play again this season and have the final year of his contract bought out this summer – believes the sum total of the deals that were made in the weeks and hours before the deadline gives the Leafs sufficient salary cap flexibility with which to navigate the NHL waters, continue to identify and acquire key components down the line, and strengthen the organization in the process.

“I think what we did was accomplish by cleaning the cap problem not only today…but for the future,” Lamoriello said. “And I think it does give us the flexibility to do what’s necessary. We certainly have players to sign, we have the ability to acquire players, we have the ability to sign players, we have that room that’s necessary to do what we need to do.”

Babcock concurred.

“We’ve done a real nice job of acquiring prospects and picks,” Babcock said. “This was our plan, and we want to set ourselves up for a long run, so we’re not talking about trading guys at the deadline, we’re talking about who we acquired at the deadline. That’s our goal.”

No, it is not the "same old song". This is the first time in over forty years that they have tried to rebuild with draft picks. The "same old song" would be trading away their draft picks for questionable talent. This is what should have been done in 2006.

I think the management is good, but it is going to take a while to undo years of bad management by their predecessors. Being the richest team doesn't mean much when there is a salary cap. The days of being able to buy a good team ended in 2004. It took the Leafs 10 years to adapt to the new reality.

No, it is not the "same old song". This is the first time in over forty years that they have tried to rebuild with draft picks. The "same old song" would be trading away their draft picks for questionable talent. This is what should have been done in 2006.

I think the management is good, but it is going to take a while to undo years of bad management by their predecessors. Being the richest team doesn't mean much when there is a salary cap. The days of being able to buy a good team ended in 2004. It took the Leafs 10 years to adapt to the new reality.

You nailed. Patience, patience.

I do not agree that this is different ,in that they have always given away there draft choices.But to start AGAIN ,you guys are a better man then me,I will not watch this team as said,we have been through this so many times.Looking back I think Burke was onto something???????being long gone,I sure hope they are doing something good. Where else can you go and discuss a whole lot of overpaid players and still feel like this.Mr Bacon and whoever the same,as I have said this will kill the Leafs and further.These players are way overpriced and doing something we used to play for free sometimes lol.

Agreed,nice friendly debate ,never hurt anyone. I am just so fed up with this same old rebuild crap.Call it what you want?,still the same crap.I will not support this same old crap again. Been through this for 40 something years???.Some say it's a good thing,Really??,hopefully I will still be alive when they have something going..I am 55 this month,other then the run against Boston,I have a hard time remembering when they were good.

I said crap 3 times sorry guys,Could of called it worse,but this is my opinion as many I know. Hope they suffer for a few years.What a waste of management $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$