?Minn Kota Power Drive V2 - Stopped working (NF)?

hutch4113

Out on Balsam yesterday (notice there is no fishing report to go along with it :wallbash: ). Using the trolling motor - going into the wind, so the speed was set to 8 I think - when all of sudden the motor died.

It still turns left/right with no issue. Noticed a distinct electrical smell, but the plug itself was not hot. When I hit the "test" button nothing shows up on the battery gauge - but I had a full charge/batteries are brand new.

I am guessing something on the Motor burnt out - any thoughts?

I don't know what the connections look like in the newer models. Years ago I was using a Minnkota electric on a weedy and windy lake and it stopped working, it was just a simple pedal cable control. One of the spade connectors overheated and burnt thru and broke off. I replaced it and all was fine, yes there was a burnt electrical smell.

I have a V2 as well,maybe a silly question,but did you notice if the motor shaft was turning?Haven't had my blade off,maybe the prop insides are toast?That electrical smell worries me .

By shaft turning - do you mean left/right? If so, yes it would turn left or right when I hit the pedal. But no thrust/prop turn - either with the pedal or with the thrust set to on.

Thanks to everyone for the replies - but it just donned on me. I have a Fuse on my trolling motor batteries - which I never checked (it is on the negative lead). I will start with the simple and go from there, but that would explain why my battery gauge/test shows no power on the Motor.

That was the part that bugged me, and I have been letting it peculate in the back of my mind. I could not figure out why a non-functional pedal and/or motor itself, would impact on the test meter.

Guessing i will look and notice that the fuse is blown - which sort of makes sense. I was at full power when it went, fighting the wind.

Fuse should definitely be on the positive cable. Not the negative. Could be either the motor itself or the pedal.that it turns and the prop does not spin makes me suspect that the motor itself is suspect. I would take Ernie up on his offer.....

Sorry - it is on the Positive. I had red on the brain - but said negative by mistake - must have been my mood. Will take a look based on what Ernie posted, and PM. I have been sick for the past week and 1/2 so boat has been last thing on my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update? Did you fix the problem. I have the same issue with mine. Turns left right, but no prop.

So went up to see Ernie. He plugs it into his boat - motor works fine. Test Gauge also lights up showing remaining battery power, etc. From what I understand the motor only needs 12 volts to turn, but 24 to run the prop.

Ernie suspects the plug on my boat may need to be replaced - possible metal fatigue.

I am also going to look at my batteries - they are brand new, but will check them as well - maybe I lost one?

Plug should be easy to verify too.

Mine worked fine when I got home. Was also told that it uses less battery to turn, so it may be my battery. I'm going out tomorrow with my battery on full charge, and I borrowed a pedal and second battery from a friend. Lets see what happens.

Edited by springbok

Well I have a brand new Kirkland deep cycle battery that I bought because I thought my battery was on the fritz. Turned out to be sulfated and gave it a super charge and now it is fine. So if you need one I have one for sale, let me know cause I was planning on returning it to Costco for a refund.

Rob C