Remote fishing trips

Headhunter

One of my life passions is to some day, fly into a remote lake, spend a week in the wilderness, catch fish and enjoy the company of like minded people. After reading some of the threads lately about "challenges" some have faced with these services, the question that comes to mind is;

"Is this kind of situation common? Have others had similar experiences at other camps as well?"

What do you look for when making a decision about which camp to I spend my hard earned money on? Obviously, a resource such as this is a good starting point, but what else do you do/use to make a "buying" decision.

Thanks,

HH

I've been on dozens over the years so I have a bit of experience here. When you're going blind, first time ever, the best thing by far you can do is solicit advice from a resource like OFC, or (can I mention another board?LOL!), Walleye Central. After you've narrowed down your choices, ask your selected outfitter(s) for references you can call. If they're not willing to give you any I'd shy away from them.

Many will tell you to attend sports shows where a bunch of outfitters have booths and you can talk to them face to face. I disagree. The best outfitters don't attend those shows at all, they're business is all repeat and word of mouth. The guys at the shows are usually the ones who have to fight for every booking they get.

Fly in trips can range from 5 star expensive lodges where your pampered, to relatively inexpensive "outpost camp" trips where you take care of everything yourself including food. They're usually smaller, more intimate lakes with the outpost being the only camp on the lake.

If you're more self sufficient and appreciate the isolation, the outpost camp is the way to go. Definitely more my cup of tea...

Anyhow, you can do all the checking and asking as I mentioned above OR you can just ask me! :D

I'd be happy to offer my recommendations to anyone who's interested.

cheers, Mike

In my limited experience the answer to that question is NO

I've done four (4) fly-ins, three with one outfitter and one with another and would not hesitate to return to either. Both have provide great service with no real problems.

First thing you may want when considering an outfitter is references. Check on pricing, pay one price or are there hidden fees? One thing that some people overlook is weight restrictions, some outfitters have low weights and some have higher. Although I have not had to deal with weight restriction I hear they can be costly (trip charge plus so much a pound).

All my experiences have with outfitters has been good, if you want any further info pm me.

Just for the record the "Bad Report" wasn't a fly-in but it was a remote location via boat and portage if I understand correctly.

Good Luck

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

Caveat emptor

you need first hand, same year info to be somewhat sure of what you are getting into, owner change without notice

labour problems

money problems

alcohol problems

wife problems

growing pains

many things can change quickly and without notice

it is always some what of a crap shot

I have been more then a little disappointed in some trips

Many will tell you to attend sports shows where a bunch of outfitters have booths and you can talk to them face to face. I disagree. The best outfitters don't attend those shows at all, they're business is all repeat and word of mouth. The guys at the shows are usually the ones who have to fight for every booking they get.

Fly in trips can range from 5 star expensive lodges where your pampered, to relatively inexpensive "outpost camp" trips where you take care of everything yourself including food. They're usually smaller, more intimate lakes with the outpost being the only camp on the lake.

If you're more self sufficient and appreciate the isolation, the outpost camp is the way to go. Definitely more my cup of tea...

cheers, Mike

Mike with all due respect I kind of dissagree with you on #1 with the cost of even outpost location "Good" outfitters are trying to fill spots from the people that were used to getting deals before became so costly and have quit going. Face to to face is one way of negotiating extra fees ie; we bring certain amount of people you wave the weight restriction.

I'm not saying that all outfitters that do the show thing are good but that's how we found a good one.

There is a circuit that does the US during the winter months and it is called the all Canadian Sports Show and there are many there that I have seen ads in mags. and favorable reports from on some of the other message boards (yes I said others outloud :lol:

I do agree with you on #2 "outpost camps" half the fun is in the planning with our group which usually starts when we collect the deposits in January, generally involves drinking beer and eating chicken wings once a month until we go.

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

I've been doing an annual fly-in trip since 1987 and have had almost all of them excellent but have had a few rough ones along the way. The best advice is to do your research and get references before you book the trip. There are many sites on the net you can get opinions from and this is one of them. I've been with many different outfitters and will offer opinions if asked.

Try not to base your decision on how many fish people caught while on a trip cause as with any part of the country fishing can shut down at any given time. I've been on trips and in the middle of the week and front would move in and it was tough fishing where before that it was non stop action. So get a few references on your choices and talk to them. I good outfitter will have a list of references for you.

So the best suggestion is to ask for opinions on the many boards and use it to make the best choice. Get to the shows and talk to the outfitters, look at there pics of the camps and equipment.

Mike with all due respect I kind of dissagree with you on #1 with the cost of even outpost location "Good" outfitters are trying to fill spots from the people that were used to getting deals before became so costly and have quit going. Face to to face is one way of negotiating extra fees ie; we bring certain amount of people you wave the weight restriction.

I'm not saying that all outfitters that do the show thing are good but that's how we found a good one.

There is a circuit that does the US during the winter months and it is called the all Canadian Sports Show and there are many there that I have seen ads in mags. and favorable reports from on some of the other message boards (yes I said others outloud :lol:

Whopper

It was a "general" statement Phil....there's always exceptions to every rule.

I still maintain that the best outfitters don't do shows anymore. Between word of mouth, repeat business and especially the advent of the internet they just don't have to do them anymore.

cheers :Gonefishing:

First, I have been on 4 fly ins. My dad has been in on so many I don't know if I could count them. He is very particular and expects, great boats, motors, and everything just perfect! We have flown out of Ear Falls the last 2 trips with the same outfitter and it has been absolutley fantastic!!! We are going again this July to another of his outpost...I would be glad to tell you who if you desire. Fishing has been fantastic, great cabin, fish cleaning houses, new boats and motors, checks on us every 3 days, FIRST CLASS. My dad actually hooked up with this outfitter at a boat and travel show in Omaha, NE....sorry solopaddler. I agree with the references end of the suggestions, my dad called 3 others that had went with this outfitter and they were all very helpful, from fishing help, to what to bring, to what was actually in the cabin for cooking. Fly in's are just great...I could never give back the time my dad and I have had alone in the bush of Canada...just really special times. Also not just time with DAD, but the guys who go with us too...no phones....no honey do list...no kids....just me fishing....no shaving...fart when I want...sorry ladies...just a great experience! Always butterflies when they drop you off and you are all alone!!!!! Our outfitter has hot water, indoor showers, frig and freezers, solar power, it is first class, and by the way in six days of fishing last time we averaged over a hundred walleye a day per person...largest being 28 inches...lots of just great catching...not fishing...didn't need live bait...just troll shad raps and stuff.

Edited by ssauvain

I have only done two fly-ins and the walleye fishing was nothing less than fantastic on both separate trips/areas. However, the last one which was two years ago was nothing less than a pig pen for accomodations. Some of you may know the area, it's Goga.... Lodge. The owner should be ASHAMED of himself to expect guest to stay in the dump he put us in. First thing we did was spend about 3 hours cleaning up the SHACK we stayed in to feel just a little bit comfortable to eat and sleep in the DUMPY shack. Not to mention the outhouse only had 2 1/2 walls holding it up. Good thing we had fair weather because I'm sure a strong storm would of taken out the out house.

But like I said the fishing was EXCELLECT with the 14' STEEL boats and 3 hp outboard motors barely adequate. Since the owner knew we were from the US he would only take US CASH from us, as he really is a American also. I kind of think he is scamming the Canadian government out of tax money but with a operation he is running it would be par for the course.

You guys all have some very interesting points, points that I will consider when I do my first fly in! :thumbsup_anim:

I did drive 12 hours up to Longlac last year and camped in the bush and caught a phenominal amount of walleye!!!

The only thing we had to pay for was gas, food and drinks :thumbsup_anim:

Hey SSAUVAIN,

Which outfitter and lake did you go to? I'm interested in doing a fly-in eventually.

Jason

Jason

The outfitter is KayAir...Peter and Karen Kay. I have personally been to Saddle Lake outpost and they also have a very short portage walk, about 3 minutes, to a river/lake system, over there are more boats, motors, and gas and the walleye fishing is unreal!!!! We are going this year to Birch Lake which according to references and Peter is actually bigger walleye then Saddle Lake and just as fast of action. The bonus is a larger lake and the opportunity to catch Lake Trout too...everything is very well done. Their website is www.kayair.com tell them Bob Sauvain and his son Steve sent you!!!!! It really is a first class operation.

Point #1. Make sure where you're going is LOADED with fish and it's 99% garunteed you'll be SLAYING those BOHEMUTHS.

then,

To Point #2. Make sure the person you're fishing with is someone you can fish with in any and every way.

then,

The Fly-In Outfitter you have chosen won't even really even matter. You'll be having too much fun to care that you're sleeping in a bears den on a mattress of bat scat and eating pounds of maggots through your nose in an exhausted slumber after a day of the best fishing of your life.

And always remember you have an instant fix to all things bad. I call it Scotch, but others have their preferences.

I've made several flights with Peter Kay. If Pete says you're going to leave a 7:00 a.m., you'd better be on the plane at 6:50 a.m. because he's going to have air under his wings at 7.

He won't hire anyone who drinks coffee or smokes because he wants his employees to work with both hands. I appreciate being with a pilot who owns his plane, is in the business to make money and who values his own life when flying.

I'm sure that a fly in fishing trip is on almost everyone's "to do" list. But with a little bit of homework, you guys can have the trip of your life without flying anywhere. If you're willing to drive from Toronto to the Kenora area, you've driven past 1000's of prime fishing areas on your way west. Maybe not right on the trans Canada, but not too far north from it. Personally, I'd rather park at a lake with nobody else there than stay at a lodge. Do some home work. Look at some maps. Ask questions. Northwestern Ontario is a vast area of untapped fishing opportunities if you get off the beaten path a mile or two. Ask tjsa how much he'd pay to catch a 40+ Pike. I can answer that for him. He wouldn't pay a nickel. Cuz they're everywhere up here. But like me, he doesn't target them. We don't like Pike up here. They're a pest fish in our books. But if that's what you want, come on up. Most of you guys have seen Rons reports from up here the past 4 years or so. He came here blind and posted pictures each year of trophy Pike, Lake Trout and Brookies each year. He fished right in my back yard and fished places that I never heard of before. He did his homework is all. Bottom line is this. If you need to get on an airplane to catch fish and want to get pampered, then by all means go for it. If you want a better experience, get out a map and head north.

I've made several flights with Peter Kay. If Pete says you're going to leave a 7:00 a.m., you'd better be on the plane at 6:50 a.m. because he's going to have air under his wings at 7.

He won't hire anyone who drinks coffee or smokes because he wants his employees to work with both hands. I appreciate being with a pilot who owns his plane, is in the business to make money and who values his own life when flying.

Tennessee Guy...did you ever fly in to Birch??? We are going there in early July...heard it is very good fishing...would love any help! I agree about Peter...and that is exactly how my dad is and that is why we like him so much!!!

Tennessee Guy...did you ever fly in to Birch??? We are going there in early July...heard it is very good fishing...would love any help! I agree about Peter...and that is exactly how my dad is and that is why we like him so much!!!

If that's the Birch Lake that feeds into the Cat Lake chain of lakes then I'm familiar with it. I paddled through year a while back....

Thanks to all who have replied... great info there and especially to DanC for removing the rose coloured glasses I've been wearing and getting me to think that my dream trip is significantly more within my reach... if I can afford the gas!LOL

And to Moosebunk for clearing up the difference between flying in and a 5 star hotel!LOL

HH

If that's the Birch Lake that feeds into the Cat Lake chain of lakes then I'm familiar with it. I paddled through year a while back....

Do share your great wisdom solopaddler :worthy: you are the master :worthy:and yes it is that birch lake.

Edited by ssauvain

Good points Dan.

I've been on dozens of fly ins, as it was part of my job years ago. Never had a bad experience but they were all bending over backwards to please us. In a couple of weeks I'll be going on my first fly in trip (outpost camp) in about 20 years. I'm going in with 5 other guys of which I know one. The one I do know I have fished with a couple of times and always had a good time. He's the one who has organized the trip and I feel I can trust his judgement. He has assured me that it's a great group of guys, they have been doing it for years. With the emails that have been going back and forth I do believe it's a great bunch to be sharing a few days with. I guess that is Moosebunk's #2 point.

His number one point is taken care of as well as a buddie of mine was at the same lake a couple of weeks ago and they caught over 800 walleye during their stay. With the meals that are planned it's bound to be an excellent trip. Good people, good fishing and good food, what more do you need? I've also been told by my buddy the the cabin was in excellent shape as were the boats and motors. I'll have my report at the end of the month.