Tips for Laker Jigging

Jimmy_1

If you do not have a line counter is there a way to know how much line is out (approx) for jigging lakers?

We are going on a family camping trip (2 adults, 5 kids) to a lake that holds a multitude of species late next week.

Hoping to get into some great bass, trout and possibly gar.

Thanks!

I use cast champs btw.

If you do not have a line counter is there a way to know how much line is out (approx) for jigging lakers?

We are going on a family camping trip (2 adults, 5 kids) to a lake that holds a multitude of species late next week.

Thanks!

I use cast champs btw.

Colored line? Changes colors every 5 feet or whatever.

You can also buy super cheap line counters that clip right onto your rod.

Edited by Sterling

IF your set up right, you can mark your lure on your graph.

S.

So I have been told!

My new (to me) boat has a very fancy graph....navionics, color etc

I just don't have time to read the biblical sized manual lol!

Ho would I see it on the graph? How would it look?

Bump the sensitivity up, and jig at the back of the boat as near to the transducer cone as you can. Depending on the quality of the sonar, most should pick up a decent size jig in 100fow. It will look like a line across bottom, and when you jig, the line will move up and down.

Edited by porkpie

Those 3 up swings is your jig going up and down?

Yes. It,s a small williams spoon. It took me a bit to dial my finder in to pick up properly when I first got it. But once I had a few buds help, it,s pretty easy.

I spend a lot of time on the water during the summer jigging lakers and to be successful you need a couple things .

A fairly good graph with the sensitivity turned way up (mine is at 95) Some heavy jigs , I use nothing under 3/4 oz .

The heavy jig gets you straight down in the water column which is important to get an accurate reading on your graph

and a some what calm day on the water so you can stay on top of the trout . This is what a 15 lb lake trout looks like on

the graph when it comes out of 50 feet of water and chases my jig to 35 feet and smashes it , game on !!!

There is another 3 lake trout on bottom as well .

P7020140-1.jpg

This one just shows you how far a lake trout will chase your jig . He came out of 49 feet and followed the jig up to 15 feet then back

down to 32 feet and still didn't hit , it was fun anyway !

P5190085.jpg

If you look back a bit I have a couple trip reports on here with some lake trout jigging . Good luck , once you get the hang of it . It's a blast :good:

Graph helps big time. I don't have a high end graph that can read like that but I stick to jigging only on high-percentage areas that I know are holding fish, and as someone else mentioned, heavy jigs are a must so you can stay perfectly vertical. I would suggest trolling until you get a better idea of where the fish are setting up on structure then go from there

Jimmy... you gotta be doing the graph thing right if you want to up your odds 1000%. You've done it through the ice with a graph or flasher methinks, so make that same vertical action happen on the softwater... and tweak from there. You got this dood, no problems.

Thanks!

I use cast champs btw.

First thing, one caveat. I've only jigged for lakers one time and these are my take-aways..

• Use the heaviest jighead you can find 2-3 ounce. At 70 FOW any wind drift will make it difficult to keep it on the bottom or at depth as your movement will cause the jig to lift off the bottom. I would also be this would be a difficult way to fish on a windy day. Thought-wonder what the west coast Halibut fisherman do this?
  • I've been successful with large white (salt and pepper flake) tube jigs and White Bucktails.
  • I've only caught lakers just off the bottom and never needed to know my jig depth as long as you use the recommendation in the first bullet.