Boat storage in a double car garage

LeXXington

Had my Pro team 190 in a 20' deep garage at the old house and it was on an angle with the tongue swung in. The new house has a bit more room (Wider, not longer) but it is still on an angle and just fits. At least with the new garage though, I can park a vehicle beside it.

I moved the boat ahead a bit on the trailer to make the overall length shorter. The bunks are now flush with the transom and I have about 120 lbs of tongue weight. Now with the swing away and the motor down and turned I have about 4" to spare at each end with the door closed.

Garage is 19' 6". Boat is 17' deep V.

Crazy Ivan brings up a good point... your boat should ALWAYS be totally on the bunks. Your boat hull should not be hanging off beyond the end of the boards. If you trailer with the boat hanging off the back of the bunk boards there is a significant chance that you will deform the hull skin just before the transom flange. If this happens not only have you damaged your hull, but it will cause the boat to plane incorrectly / add drag / etc.

Sometimes even the make of the engine can affect total length...each of them has a slightly different shape I believe, might be able to shave an inch or 2 depending on brand!

Good point; I think the new Evinrudes add a foot or more compared to other motors.

Crazy Ivan brings up a good point... your boat should ALWAYS be totally on the bunks. Your boat hull should not be hanging off beyond the end of the boards. If you trailer with the boat hanging off the back of the bunk boards there is a significant chance that you will deform the hull skin just before the transom flange. If this happens not only have you damaged your hull, but it will cause the boat to plane incorrectly / add drag / etc.

Yup.

Hanging over the end of the bunks can put what's called a hook in the hull.

The hook will tend to push the nose into the water and reduce speed and fuel efficiency.

It can cause some pretty drastic handling issues too, especially if one side is hooked more than the other.

Not only will the nose be pushed into the water it can also cause a bad pull when running.

Yup.

Hanging over the end of the bunks can put what's called a hook in the hull.

The hook will tend to push the nose into the water and reduce speed and fuel efficiency.

It can cause some pretty drastic handling issues too, especially if one side is hooked more than the other.

Not only will the nose be pushed into the water it can also cause a bad pull when running.

Your 100% correct Dave.

I bought a new Crestliner in '99 and as soon as the boat would hit about 30 MPH it would lean sharply to the left. I tried a few different things and nothing would help so I took it back to the dealer where they realized the hull was hooked and causing the problem. Almost looked as if the boat had been dropped and landed on something.

Not a problem for me as they just gave me a new boat and re-rigged it but could be a real issue for someone else if they damaged it themselves.

I bought my 1775 Lund Impact and my biggest worry was fitting it in the garage. I must have measured a thousand times and tried every angle before its arrival. It fit at an angle. The garage is 19ft 6" and the boat to swing tongue was 20' 2". I turn my motor on an angle and I think that gives me a few more inches. Anyway, I have lots of room on both sides for garbage,lawn mower etc and about 6" clearance to the door. One thing to remember is the height of the door frame. I had my motor tilted up and hit the frame, putting my first mark on my new motor. :wallbash:Also the windshield just clears by about an inch. :clapping:

That is true, however, 120 lbs of tongue weight seems high for a 17 ft boat. My 1750 crestliner only has an 85-90lbs tongue weight. There is a formula that one can use to figure out tongue weight. My buddy did the same thing to his ranger, moved boat up to give more space and now his boat pounces around like crazy. Can't go over 115-120 km on highway.

That is true, however, 120 lbs of tongue weight seems high for a 17 ft boat. My 1750 crestliner only has an 85-90lbs tongue weight. There is a formula that one can use to figure out tongue weight. My buddy did the same thing to his ranger, moved boat up to give more space and now his boat pounces around like crazy. Can't go over 115-120 km on highway.

Thank goodness the speed limit is only 100km.With a trailer,I would think that is fine . :P

Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the package (boat,motor,trailer, gas etc) weight.

120#s of tongue weight would give the package weight between 800#'s and 1200#s.

1200#'s is pretty low if it's a nicely equipped fishing boat.

My 18 footer's bare hull is in the 900-1000# range.

You add a 500-700# trailer, 115 fourstroke, kicker, electric TM, 3 batteries, 18 gallons of fuel.......... you can see it all adds up.

My tongue weight is near 200#'s on my boat and my popup camper is 260#'s

Bathroom scale, level ground and the trailer at the same angle as it is when on your hitch. And you then need to know who much the whole shamozal weights.

Then multiply by 6% bam you get your tongue weight. I'm balls on with 93 lbs I'm about 90 lbs. my rig close to 1600 lbs. fish hawk 1750 115 opti. 3 batteries and all the trimmings.

Then multiply by 6% bam you get your tongue weight. I'm balls on with 93 lbs I'm about 90 lbs. my rig close to 1600 lbs. fish hawk 1750 115 opti. 3 batteries and all the trimmings.

At 6% you are 4% below suggested minimum tongue weight which should be 10-15%.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

Yup 6% -5% for duel axle trailer. That's what my shorelander trailer owners guide says, I'm not a trailer expert but if that is what my trailer manufacture is saying.... Not trying to get into an argument here I'm just saying that's what shorelander says and that about 98% accurate to what I have. So....

One time I had a flatbed single axle trailer and the stuff I was hauling didn't fit. I only had a few miles to move the 2000 lb load so I put it on but it was pulling up at the ball. Everything was fine till the one time I went over 40 km ph. That trailer went crazy tring to jackknife.

Yup 6% -5% for duel axle trailer. That's what my shorelander trailer owners guide says, I'm not a trailer expert but if that is what my trailer manufacture is saying.... Not trying to get into an argument here I'm just saying that's what shorelander says and that about 98% accurate to what I have. So....

Didn't know it was a dual axle. ;)

Good point; I think the new Evinrudes add a foot or more compared to other motors.

Not really, when I ordered my new boat back in early March the dealer and myself measured a 90hp Yammy on a boat and a 90HO E-Tech and really could not see much if any difference. I would think that a regular 90 hp might be even less in length but we did not measure that motor.