Boat storage in a double car garage

LeXXington

Hi All:

Does anyone store their boat (bigger than 15’) inside a regular city sized double car garage?

I heard you can fit bigger boats if you put the boat in on an angle.

I am looking into a bigger sized boat but I need to make sure I can store it at my house and up to what size will fit?

thanks

I store my Tracker Proguide 162 on a shorelander trailer in my garage because the trailer has a swing away tongue. The boat, with motor mostly down and almost touching the wall just barely fits. I have a couple of inches of clearance at most. I was delighted to find that it fit when I got it home. I will measure my garage floor from back to front and let you know how deep it is. I'm gonna say a swing away tongue is a must though.

Edit: The length of the garage is 19 feet 6 inches of usable space. It's a double car garage and is 18 feet wide.

Edited by Walleye72

LOL, Lew.. I spoke to my wife about expanding it but she was unwilling to let me reduce the size of the kitchen..

I figured I could make a cabinet about the same size of the outboard and you won't even notice but she would not go for it.

Wives just don't understand the real important things in life Paul :lol:

Hard to say definitively, an inch or 2 can make all the difference. Some of the newer houses have very small garages. Measure your door width. Measure the depth of the garage and you've got something to work with.

ahh for an extra inch..

Yea the newer houses the garage keeps getting smaller.. I see the new ones are at 19.8 /10 double is 40/20 hate to buy the new boat and it not fit

A buddy of mine has a 17ft skeeter with a 75 and swing away tongue, it fit but just a couple of inches at either end. He has a double garage. Measure everything 20 times and you shouldn't have to cut that hole in the kitchen....but mistakes can still happen... :whistling:

17.5 Starcraft, 115 and a 20. With swing tongue and motor down I can get it across pretty easy and still have access for it as a main entrance Look at my PA day post and you should get a good idea. During the winter we can get the truck and the van in with room to walk between ( so long as I park at least one of them, anyway:: ) Not to get too technical, but you could draw it to scale?. - rectangle for the garage, triangle for the boat . lay the triangle over the rectangle. Mineis a full 2 car garage though - lots of newer homes are promoted as double car, but really only a car and a half. We had to add width and depth when we built to get the full two car.

My fish hawk 1750 with 115 opti fits in mine with tongue folded away. I have a 22ft deep garage and there is room to spare. The problem is the width. At 96" beam plus trailer there is literally less then one inch on either side. Takes me 15 min to back my boat in.

My 18' Fisher with 115 is about 1' too long to fit in a 10'X20' portable garage.

If the tongue folded it would probably just fit.

So I have 2 garages joined together to give me 10'X40'!!!!

Plenty of room now and I can even work on stuff!!! :D

LOL, Lew.. I spoke to my wife about expanding it but she was unwilling to let me reduce the size of the kitchen..

I figured I could make a cabinet about the same size of the outboard and you won't even notice but she would not go for it.

Better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :D

Thanks Terry.. Do you have the Tyee?

If I squeeze it all in I am hoping to have room for a Snowmobile :whistling:

I have an 1800 Tyee, it does 'just' fit in my double garage, it's 20'10" long with the swing tongue. You could probably get a snowmobile in, but it would be a very tight fit.

Good luck!

Andrew

My fish hawk 1750 with 115 opti fits in mine with tongue folded away. I have a 22ft deep garage and there is room to spare. The problem is the width. At 96" beam plus trailer there is literally less then one inch on either side. Takes me 15 min to back my boat in.

BINGO............my brand new 179 WT Polar Craft with a 90 high output E-Tech (it's really a 115hp that's detuned to a 90) fits length wise pretty well with about 6" to spare (swing trailer). HOWEVER, it has only 4" (2" on each side) to clear the garage door and I have to be VERY careful or crunch goes the boat trailer and garage door opening. ALSO it only has about 3" to clear the garage door with the windshield when hooked up to the truck.

I was going to just get a 16 footer instead of the 18' but the dealer said it uses the same 102" wide trailer...........so I might as well fill up the trailer, eh !

I had the same issue...garage at 19'8" in a newer house. Measured the boat/motor a wack of times before buying and was able to get a 16'8" Alumacraft in with a swing-tongue trailer. I also have to trim the motor down. Sometimes even the make of the engine can affect total length...each of them has a slightly different shape I believe, might be able to shave an inch or 2 depending on brand!