Trailer Maintenance

bigbuck

After splashing my boat a couple weeks ago, I figured it was time to tackle some maintenance on my boat trailer, lights checked out, one of the 14 year old Goodyear Marathons developed a bulge so new tires topped the list. Off they went. A couple squirts of marine grease into the bearing buddies, the brakes need adjusting, so I checked the fluid, full but a bit dirty so new fluid it will be along with bleeding and adjusting the drums and lubing the actuator. A new winch from Princess Auto was also put on. On a side note, I picked up new Carlisles $200 +tax installed for the pair from my tire guys here in Oakville. P215/75st/14. Smoking deal. Everywhere else they were at least $260+ installation. If anyone needs rubber, let me know. The bunks are getting old but still have a season or two left in them. Have I missed anything?? The bearings have no play either.

Edited by bigbuck

Actually, one thing a lot of folks forget is nuts & bolts, there's probably a dozen or so that never get checked. Bunk nuts & bolts, guide on brackets, center roller hardware, shackle nuts & bolts and the straps to see if they're getting worn. Trailer front leg and wheel, licence plate bracket and plate nuts & bolts. That should keep you busy for a least one beer.

The bunks are getting old but still have a season or two left in them.

Keep an eye on those bunks Bruce, I once had one break on a trailer that was only 5 years old. Luckily it was at our trailer park when I was putting the boat in the water so wasn't a big deal. Wouldn't be as much fun if one broke going down the hiway miles from home.

And replacing bunks is a very inexpensive and easy job to do.

Great advice in this thread!!!!!!!

Trailer issues ruin trips WAY more than boat issues (at least in my experience).

A few hours of maintenance once a year .... some spot checks throughout the season ... and you'll save yourself some big headaches.

Thanks for the reminder!

Also, in the winter, I remove the tires and set the trailer on blocks. The tires get sprayed with rubber treatment and store in the basement.

As for the 14 years on the tires... it's easy.. park your tires on boards (not the grass or pavement). Cover said tires from the sun with a sheet of plywood leaned up against the wheel well if they face the sun. I still have the original Road Kings on my tri axle x 32' deck trailer that I bought in 1989. Not a thing wrong with them and they'll be 26 this fall. Maybe I'll buy new ones when they turn 30!

..and the bunk board as Lew points out reminds me I have a broken one under my boat, that luckily held up enough to load and haul home last fall. Knew there was something else I was supposed to make up over the winter..

Edited by irishfield

As for the 14 years on the tires... it's easy.. park your tires on boards (not the grass or pavement). Cover said tires from the sun with a sheet of plywood leaned up against the wheel well if they face the sun. I still have the original Road Kings on my tri axle x 32' deck trailer that I bought in 1989. Not a thing wrong with them and they'll be 26 this fall. Maybe I'll buy new ones when they turn 30!

This why you see alot of the trailers on lots look like this. Sure it might not look pretty, but it does the job. WOW 26 years Wayne. Amazing.

Edited by Brian B

Lew, the bunks are not rotted at all, I have poked at them with a screw driver.the tires have a bit of dry rot but are not too bad. If my trailer has more than 10,000kms on it, I would be surprised. But I have to check the bolts securing the bunks. They are quite rusty but seem to be fine as it is surface rust that has not gone very deep. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day working on it but I want the capability to take the boat for a road trip at a moments notice. The bearings do not even get warm after an hour on the highway and there is no play so I am not messing with them too much. We should put together a checklist for trailer maintenance. There are lots of how to articles out there on doing the brakes, bearings, lighting, etc...

How the heck do you get 14 years out of a set of tires? My understanding is you get 4-5 years and that's it. Did you check your leaf springs? had one shear in half one year.

Saw a guy last summer have a spring break on his pontoon boat trailer.

Was not a nice scene as the whole axle ended up being ripped out!!! :o

Lew, there was a bit of cracking but not a whole lot, the bulge in one of them was the deciding factor. They have been replaced. For their age they looked pretty good. If I was only using the trailer to drop the boat in and pull it out of ohr lake, they would have been fine, we launch off our beach. BUT, I am hoping to get some fishing in this year in a couple of new lakes, one of which has a lot of musky and little fishing pressure and would love to wet a line with a certain OFC member known for his great smile....just sayin'....

BUT, I am hoping to get some fishing in this year in a couple of new lakes, one of which has a lot of musky and little fishing pressure and would love to wet a line with a certain OFC member known for his great smile....just sayin'....

We've been trying to hook-up for years Bruce, lets make it happen this year.

I had a bunker float away on me last year when I tried to pull my boat out of three mile lake before a trip home after a week. My wife was waiting by the boat and exclaimed "the carpet is floating away!".

I luckily had some boat straps, rescued the "carpet" that was floating away (the bunker that runs the whole distance of the boat) and strapped it to the trailer in two spots.. Got me home. :)