Lawn mower help please.

captpierre

I asked about this mower and got advice last year.

Now could be time for a funeral.

4.5 hp Briggs and Stratton small mower. $150 new.

Bought new 5 yrs ago for cottage.

Did well for 2 yrs.

I have a 15-20 degree slope to cut. Mostly cut side to side. A bit up and down.

Used some old gas once. May have been 3 yrs old.

The problem may have started then.

Starts well. Runs at lower rpm than did initially and sputters all the time. Worse when moving back and forth.

Tried fresh gas. Premium ethanol free gas. Seafoam. Gas line antifreeze. New plug.

Today won't start after half of lawn done. Fires a bit but won't stay running. Took plug out. Lots of carbon but gap ok. Sanded it clean. No difference.

Do I get her repaired ? Likely not worth while since new one $150.

Is the slope to blame? Get a different engine in a new one? 2 stroke perhaps?

Due to the slope a small, light mower is best. This one was perfect until lately

What would you small engine guys recommend?

Thanks

Peter

I'm no expert but it might be the carb and it just needs a good cleaning.

My mower was acting similar about 3 years ago and my neighbour mentioned my carb may need a cleaning. Googled carb cleaning videos for my motor/HP size and found a couple. Went the easy route first and dropped the bowl and jets out without removing the carb. Sprayed it all down with carb cleaner, fine wire poked through the holes in the jets, put it back together and it's been working great since. Only took about a half an hour to do and no costs other then the carb cleaner.

Bring it to Big Cliff!

You are right, bad gas is probably the culpret and Sea Foam won't always fix it. Sounds like the jet is plugged in the carb, easy fix if you know what you are doing (I think I do :dunno: )

Ditch shouldn't be much of a problem, those engines were built with an oil slinger in them, as long as you didn't run it out of oil it should be fine.

Cost to repair: including sharpening and balancing the blade, changing the oil, cleaning the carb and fuel system. $25.00 including materials (for OFC people only).

PM me if you want the address.

It is more than likely that it simply needs a tune-up and carb cleaning. If you can find someone who is reasonable, it can be fixed for much less than a new one. As has been discussed here on this forum, looking after a lawnmower these days with all the ethanol in today's gas requires more effort than it did 20 years ago.

My Toro sometimes acts up, where in it starts, but then stops a few seconds later. If I take the bolt that houses the float bowl out (be careful with the float bowl gasket) and inspect it, a piece of dirt or whatever is lodged in there. Clean it up good and put it back together and it's fixed.

If it's 5 years old, it could probably use a tuneup anyways, but it's probably something simple.

Big Cliff you are ON!

I think you are just north of Lindsay.

We can drop it off this evening.

Peter

Let me know if that works and where to go.

Bring it to Big Cliff!

You are right, bad gas is probably the culpret and Sea Foam won't always fix it. Sounds like the jet is plugged in the carb, easy fix if you know what you are doing (I think I do :dunno: )

Ditch shouldn't be much of a problem, those engines were built with an oil slinger in them, as long as you didn't run it out of oil it should be fine.

Cost to repair: including sharpening and balancing the blade, changing the oil, cleaning the carb and fuel system. $25.00 including materials (for OFC people only).

PM me if you want the address.

25 is a bargoon for what he is doing, for 30 you can fish off the dock while he works!

just trying to help you out Cliff :)

LOL, Ya, the oil I use is about $8.00/liter my cost, the other $17.00 covers my costs for shop supplies and replacing tools. I don't do it as a business, just to help friends and neighbors.

Oh, and fishing off the dock..... well we'll have to do some negotiating on that one :whistling:

The key for the boat is under the red rock. The second red rock. If you turn over the wrong red rock,well,,,,,,,,,,KABOOM. :lol:

Good on ya as always Cliff.

Second from the right or the left? I keep forgetting which one it's supposed to be so it's 50/50. I tried it with 3 red rocks for a while but everyone always got it right :whistling:

Edited by Big Cliff

LOL, Ya, the oil I use is about $8.00/liter my cost, the other $17.00 covers my costs for shop supplies and replacing tools. I don't do it as a business, just to help friends and neighbors.

Oh, and fishing off the dock..... well we'll have to do some negotiating on that one :whistling:

by the 'inch' Cliff by the inch!

I had friend who used to run a fishing place south of Collingwood, "hei guys there are some big ones in that pond" he would say. Eddy you are full of it! You just tell them that so they can keep fishing! We paid to park and fished the river :)

Good deal my friend for what tou are offering, here in town just looking is $50.

lawnmower fixed, ready for pickup when ever you get here. Dirt and water in fuel tank, diaphram toast, air filter plugged, RPM at 2300, sb 3000.

Cleaned the fuel tank, installed new diaphram, cleaned the air filter, adjusted the RPM, checked the spark plug (it was dirty because of the air filter causing it to run VERY rich) touched up the blade and balanced it (it doesn't look like it's had much use), changed the oil (my bet it was probably the original :whistling: ) and cleaned it up a bit (pressure washed it).

Runs as good as (might be even better than new) will probably last you another 5 years or more (if you use good clean fuel and change the oil once in a while LOL).

BTW, thank you so much for that "secret" fishing lure :clapping:

Wow Cliff, that is awesome... I may have to pay you a visit in a few weeks if that offer is still on the table! My mower needs a tune up also. Starts fine, then starts to sputter and die around 30 seconds later... You can keep it running by pumping the primer bulb a few times every 30-45 seconds as you cut the grass, but you can imagine how annoying that is!!!

Pete

Wow Cliff, that is awesome... I may have to pay you a visit in a few weeks if that offer is still on the table! My mower needs a tune up also. Starts fine, then starts to sputter and die around 30 seconds later... You can keep it running by pumping the primer bulb a few times every 30-45 seconds as you cut the grass, but you can imagine how annoying that is!!!

Pete

I use to do it for free but then I started having to buy supplies and tools and found out that none of my suppliers believed in free LOL.

I usually just charge $25.00 including the oil (for OFC members only) but if there are extra parts needed then you get dinged for those but I always provide an estimate if it is going to go over the $25.00. (doesn't usually happen unless you need a new blade or something).

The offer is on the table for as long as I can continue to do the work, drop it off anytime, if I'm not here just leave a note with it and your phone number and park it behind the garage.

Stick around for a while and you will learn what "paying it forward" really means!

I've never met Cliff but he has helped me and I've sent 'things' his way. Not much but it's the though that counts, when I finally make it up there I'll make it up.