Going Camping?

spincast

Giant Hogweed now spotted out Renfrew way.

A forestry official confirmed two new findings of giant hogweed last week in Renfrew County, west of Ottawa. It has previously been spotted in Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Quebec, southwestern Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. About 50 plants were spotted in Toronto’s Don Valley two weeks ago.

Contact with the weed’s clear, watery sap can be very dangerous, Jeff Muzzi, Renfrew County’s forestry manager and weed inspector.

“What it does to you is pretty ugly,” said Mr. Muzzi. “It causes blisters. Large blisters and permanent scarring. What’s left over looks like a scar from a chemical burn or fire.”

Even a tiny trace of sap applied to the eye can singe the cornea, causing temporary or permanent blindness, he added. The chemicals in the sap, furocoumarins, are carcinogenic and teratogenic, meaning they can cause cancer and birth defects.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2F%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fgiant-weed-that-burns-and-blinds-spreads-across-canada

This is a serious issue. This bastitch means business. A few years back I got blistered up pretty bad by an unidentified plant. This was no poison ivy and I suspect now it was hogweed but who knows. There is a plant that looks almost identical to it called cows parsley or cows parsnip. I stay away from both.

This is a serious issue. This bastitch means business. A few years back I got blistered up pretty bad by an unidentified plant. This was no poison ivy and I suspect now it was hogweed but who knows. There is a plant that looks almost identical to it called cows parsley or cows parsnip. I stay away from both.

Actual hogweed is much rarer. Way bigger than the tons of wild parsnip out this way now. I think they may get mixed up. Regardless, be damn careful.

http://www.healthunit.org/hazards/dangerousweeds.html

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

Actual hogweed is much rarer. Way bigger than the tons of wild parsnip out this way now. I think they may get mixed up. Regardless, be damn careful.

http://www.healthunit.org/hazards/dangerousweeds.html

Cheers

Yeah, you can't miss it, it looks foreign for sure. It looks like a big tropical bamboo.

They are on the lookout for it here in cottage country in the kawarthas as well and have asked all the farmers for their help and to look through there fields and land for it too !!! There was a fisheries truck here a week ago and they were walking in the swamp near Emily creek and might have been looking for it here as well as doing their annual turtle counts and stuff

I've seen plenty along 16 Mile Creek in Oakville. There's so much I'm guessing they won't be able to eradicate it.

There's lots on Bronte too Chris :( The town seem to control it in the parks but not outside

It's not too bad in summer when it's fully grown, being so big you can see it and avoid, but this time of year it's the same height as everything else so accidental contact is harder to avoid

We discussed it at my Woodlot Association meeting this year. It's moving north and can be found as far as Hwy 17 between north bay and Sudbury at the Veuve River rest area. None on my property, but I do have the native Cow's Parsnip.

Here is the distribution map for reported sightings. This is a fantastic invasive species resources website

http://www.eddmaps.org/ontario/distribution/viewmap.cfm?sub=4536

Wow looks like southern Ontario is infested. So how does the ministry plan on controlling it? Other than when fully grown it can easily be mistaken for other native species. Does the plant have to be damaged to secrete the sap or will brushing up against it cause harm as well?

Had a run with this plant a few years ago. I have a permanent scar on my right arm as a reminder.. The sap actually liquifies skin and tissue. Had to get treated at the hospital twice and a the wound wept so bad I had I replace my gauze daily for 2 weeks straight!!

This is no joke people!! Get stuff in your eyes and you're in for a world of hurt..

Wow looks like southern Ontario is infested. So how does the ministry plan on controlling it? Other than when fully grown it can easily be mistaken for other native species. Does the plant have to be damaged to secrete the sap or will brushing up against it cause harm as well?

Yep. I've seen this plant along all our tribs.. My guess is the ministry will only control the plant in public areas..

From what I've learned, the plant has to be damaged to secrete the sap, but that's just hearsay.. I'd stay clear of it regardless. TRCA has to wear protective clothing and safety goggles when they deal with this stuff..