Spring Simcoe Smashfest

I headed out the other day in search of some jumbos on lady simcoe. We were hoping we were able to get the fish before the spawn and as soon as we got there we could see schools of thousands of fish.

many big ones in the huge schools as well so we immediately began casting at the big girls but none would eat! it was dead calm and clear as glass. we figured we were in trouble.

i immediately started to doubt our decision to bypass the minnows on the way to the lake and figured during a tough bite it may have been wise to bring along some minnows.

just as i started to wonder the wind picked up a bit and a little ripple was on the water. and we started catching fish. turned out to be one the best days perching i have ever experienced.

biggest of the day was just over 14 inches but we landed quite a few between 12 and 14 inches throughout the day.

here is the biggest one of the day.

71F7E478-4BCF-45F2-9010-ACB215E747DD_zps

my buddies biggest. another 14 incher

B4E8B909-C515-45A4-BED5-0353A9A5B9FE_zps

couple jumbos

49F45037-BC8F-4F64-8A47-32FC21E72B2C_zps

slabs!

F8130536-7BE4-4FF4-AFEF-E9E9BBFCDA23_zps

D451BB7E-9B80-4445-AF18-4415A7DB2CE7_zps

gotta love it when things come together. the fish definetely wanted us to slow right down with our presentations but after a little fine tuning we cracked the code.

they were extremely tasty. haha

That is one of the fattest perch I have ever seen at the bottom of the first pic!

Sometimes a little ripple helps. If you can't see them, they can't see you, and usually that helps them forget why you're there.