New outboard propulsion system being looked at

woodenboater

Very interesting and different concept from the traditional screw propulsion of current outboards. I guess for now it's an exercise or think tank thing but would be cool to see it make it to at least a working prototype.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/technology/new-style-of-outboard-engine-mimics-dolphins-tail/article24074031/

That system appears to be in the early design phase only. I don't know why they wouldn't develop an electric trolling motor that's battery free first with traditional propeller system.

I would love to have a high horse power hybrid I\O or outboard. It's not too far fetched as they are selling thousands of hybrids and all electric in cars today at horsepower ratings that are sufficient for our boats.

That system appears to be in the early design phase only. I don't know why they wouldn't develop an electric trolling motor that's battery free first with traditional propeller system.

I would love to have a high horse power hybrid I\O or outboard. It's not too far fetched as they are selling thousands of hybrids and all electric in cars today at horsepower ratings that are sufficient for our boats.

Hybrids are efficient in stop and go traffic because electric motors do not use energy when stopped and because electric motors can generate energy to charge the battery when braking. They aren't really any more efficient on the highway.

I am not convinced the hydrid's efficiency in stop and go traffic would translate into a more efficient out board for a boat. It would have some merit as a backup for a solar powered boat.

Ever see a dolphin take off from a stop?

They are stinkin fast.

That is because propulsion is not rooted in the flipper. The entire body of the dolphin is flexing and moving in a very smooth rythmn to generate that force.

Heat is a byproduct of the combustion engine so heat in the winter really doesn't take from the efficiency of the engine, now, in winter, how are you going the heat an electric vehicle with out using a good portion of your battery power and range?

Edited by dave524

Either they are actually more economical or the marketing of the things is driving the Hybrid sales.

That depends on your definition of economical. They will use less gas; however, the cost more upfront and you may need to replace a very expensive battery at some point.

IMHO; it is not economical if the fuel savings do not exceed the extra upfront cost of a hybrid. I don't think they will be economical for the average person. Someone who has to drive in stop and go traffic all day may end up saving in the long run. I think that the people who buy them are usually doing it to reduce their carbon foot print.

I don't think that hybrid boat would be fuel efficient. Boats usage does not mimic the conditions face by someone driving through a city in rush hour. Those are the conditions where a hybrid is more fuel efficient.

There is one situation where I can see it being practical for a boat. If you had an electric boat with a large solar panel on top, a gas engine could be used to run a generator when the batteries were dead. If you were able to get the bulk of the energy to recharge the batteries via solar, and only rely on the gas engine for emergencies, it could end up saving fuel.

Here is something that can save some energy:

http://file2.answcdn.com/answ-cld/image/upload/w_688,h_457,c_fill,g_face:center,q_60,f_jpg/v1422376734/vcudvnyt2pkr50zoomr9.jpg

Edited by JohnBacon

When I say economical I take in all factors from initial cost, maintenance, depreciation, everything.

If anyone believes that generating electricity leaves a smaller carbon foot print they are fooling themselves. Burning coal sure isn't green. We must look beyond our borders and you will see a coal burning world. We may be getting out of the generation of coal burners to make our electricity but all one needs to do is look south. I don't think places like China haven't much of an environmentally friendly industrial complex. Heck they still run Blast Furnaces in Brazil on charcoal made from millions of tons of hardwood from virgin rainforests annually rather than metallurgical coke derived from coal like we do in North America.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Where would we be if the great, as well as the not so great, innovators said: "Forget it, it'll never work".

Sure most of these concepts end up going no where but you can't hit a home run if you don't swing for the fences.

Right on!

The author admits that it may never work but they will give it a try. The name's Bombardier after all!

That is because propulsion is not rooted in the flipper. The entire body of the dolphin is flexing and moving in a very smooth rythmn to generate that force.

Look at the attack of a pike it bends into an s shape to spring forward it is using all of the muscles of its body to burst forward on a prey. Now ask the same to turn fast like a blugill and you will find it lacking.

Art