Repurposing of Pickering Nuclear Plant

John Bacon

The Pickering nuclear plant is schedule to cease operations in 2020. Ontario Power Generation is seeking input on how to use the land after the shut down.

You can email your input to [email protected]

More information is available at: http://www.opg.com/repurposingpickering

You can also attend open houses at Pickering Recreation Complex on Thursday April 23 from noon to 4:00pm or 6:00 to 9:00 pm.

Edited by JohnBacon

I wonder why they're decommissioning it? Running out of space for nuclear waste? Seems strange I was under the impression aside from the nuclear waste viewpoint going to the depths of the oceans it was a pretty clean form of energy

I wonder why they're decommissioning it? Running out of space for nuclear waste? Seems strange I was under the impression aside from the nuclear waste viewpoint going to the depths of the oceans it was a pretty clean form of energy

Nothing to do with waste, they are just getting old. They've got a lifespan like everything else for the most part. I'm all for nuclear energy, I'd like to see a few more plants pop up to be honest.

Edited by BillM

all part of the future plan for power management. even with pickering's closure, nuclear will continue to play an integral role in "turning our lights on". Bruce Power would likely play a bigger part in our provinces nuclear power needs, if needed.

Edited by Steve

before they can seriously consider what to do with the site/land upon decommissioning, they'll have to do some serious soil tests so they know what they are dealing with.

That's all apart of the decommission plan if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, full barrels of green goo a foot beneath some clay..haha

Not a 'bunch', that's an exaggeration, but yes, if there is in fact any significant radioactive soil contamination (which I kind of doubt there is), that site will never be returned to pristine conditions.

There is a difference between full (background) remediation and remedial effort. Just saying, most remediations are not 'Full' remediations.

Pave it over and make it a parking lot for vehicles and trailers, 4-6 vehicle boat launch and make it all free. (Since they are screwing up the other launch at Frenchman's) Oh, and throw in some of those glow in the dark spoons. B) The sale of Hydro should cover it. :rolleyes:

Are you referring to the launch on the west side of Frenchman's? Aren't they planning to improve that one?

They are but it is a single use launch, looks like it maybe gated in the drawings? I tried to launch once at the gated launch on the east side once and there was no one there to unlock the gate. :wallbash: Haven't been back there since. Maybe the new launch will be fine but I'm having my doubts with the single launch and limited parking. There was a chance to improve it but I think they may have missed the mark.

Edit - link to the plans. http://www.pickering.ca/en/discovering/resources/FBW_Masterplan.pdf

Edited by fishnsled