Charges withdrawn in hunting death

HTHM

Orange, green, brown.... doesn't matter. I don't know about the rest of you hunters on here but when I pull the trigger on anything, deer, rabbit,,,,, I know EXACTLY where I am aming on that animal and it is either a heart or a head shot. You don't just point the gun at something thinking it is a deer and hope you hit it somewhere that is going to kill it.

No matter, it is very sad that a man died, his wife is now a widow and a son will never know his father and it all happened in a split second. I wonder how many other lives have been ruined because of this?

It's a weird case no matter what.. the rumor and chatter came from people that live closer to the situation than I do.. either way, safety should be paramount regardless of "rights"...the dropped charges stinks of political interference...

This is why most non-native hunters choose not to hunt on Six Nations or most other reservations. Legal or not, it's just not a great idea. I live just down the road from where this happened and I wouldn't dream of hunting that land, I just don't belong there. As far as what happened that day, there are all kinds of theories but I'm pretty sure if it had been anyone else we at least would have read about the evidence in a court report in the paper.

What Paquette said in the Spec article about a witness seeing a Deer that wasn't acting normal (and this is the best of ridiculous) it matched the description of the Deer that Jonathan claimed to shoot. How many descriptions of deer don't match others, it was a buck a doe or a fawn, that's it. Maybe missing a piece of the rack, maybe, can one see details from 300 yds?

A scope isn't a replacement for a pair of binos, if he could or couldn't identify he's still in the wrong.

Didnt mention that he shot from the road. Just another example of our judicial system failing, because they are scared of the backlash that might follow, based on the ethnicity of the one charged.

Sad but true.. Although is he legally allowed to shoot from the road on the rez?

It all stinks. Like I said earlier if the dropping of the charges was politically motivated, which many here believe it was, we are in deep feces. That is proof we have 2 tiered justice in Ontario.

As far as not belonging on the reservation I'm sure some of those living on the rez believe non residents shouldn't be there either. I for one go to both 6 Nations as well as New Credit all the time and feel very comfortable doing so. When we first moved here that wasn't true, I believed what I heard about the rez. Now I'm going to say something very racist here and may take flack for it. The local kids there are more polite and courteous than any of the white trash I come across in downtown Hamilton begging on the street for loose change and cigarettes each and every time I go there. We do not go there to buy cheap gas and cheap smokes. It is our #1 choice for breakfast, lunches and occasionally dinner. We also love going to the track for the races and to watch hockey and lacrosse games. All the business people there welcome with open arms non residents money I guarantee that 100%. I won't hunt there that's for sure.

I go there for gas and to visit the Burger Barn and aside from the crazy guys in pick up trucks wizzing past way over the speed limit, I have no problems. Anyone I have contact with is usually very friendly.Here is a view of hunting from a native perspective.. http://www.tworowtimes.com/opinions/letters/hunting-season-six-nations/

Wearing orange would of definitely made a difference, however bow hunters need to wear camo to get close enough for a quality shot.

The problem in this case is someone else hunting big game with a firearm during the bow season. In every area I have ever hunted this is NOT allowed for the safety of the bow hunter.

As someone else already mentioned you MUST ID your target at all times before pulling that trigger. So again the shooter is liable here. Now if Jonathan was allowed by Six Nation law to hunt as he did and didn't break any laws whatsoever, then his girl friend should be suing Six Nation for irresponsible laws/codes that led to the death of Kosid and Jonathan for whatever her lawyer can get.

BTW hunting as proven by stats is much safer then fishing or even riding a bike.

As a long time rifle and bow hunter I have to disagree with your assertion that bow hunters must wear camo to get close enough to their quarry for a lethal shot. Deer really do not see very well, especially colors. This is the theory behind blaze camo, a camo pattern that uses a fluorescent orange background. Deer rely almost exclusively on their sense of smell and ability to pick up unnatural movement and sound. Next time you're in the woods and come across deer, just stop, more than likely they have already made you but it is just as likely that if you freeze they will go back to feeding. Also, assuming it was during the rut, it would not be unusual if this archer was using deer estrus or some other scent to lure the buck close to his stand, and if that were true, it would also be very possible that the hunter shot at a buck, missed the deer, and hit the camouflaged hunter. How could this hunter be expected to see a camoflauged hunter at 300 yds? I've had hunters walk past me and I've remained undetected at 10 yds. Finally, while I wouldn't condone hunting from a vehicle, that also may very well be legal; it is legal most everywhere when a person has a physical disability. So, IMHO, folks shouldn't be so quick to convict this man. It was a terrible tragedy for sure.

Edited by doubleheader

Yet a man shoots another and kills him and all charges dropped. I am confused.

NORTH BAY, Ont. An Ontario hunter has been fined $1,500 after he shot his own big toe.

Court heard that on Oct. 23, Richard Chamberland of Sudbury, Ont., was hunting small game off South Pardo Road, off Hwy. 805.

After shooting unsuccessfully at a grouse, he returned to his brother's pickup and sat on the passenger side.

He did not unload his 12-gauge shotgun. It discharged in the vehicle, shooting through Chamberland's big toe and the floor of the truck.

Chamberland was required to have his big toe amputated.

He's been fined $750 for discharging a firearm without due care and attention for people or property and $750 for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

He is prohibited from hunting for five years and must successfully complete the Ontario Hunter Education Course before hunting in the province again.

I go there for gas and to visit the Burger Barn and aside from the crazy guys in pick up trucks wizzing past way over the speed limit, I have no problems. Anyone I have contact with is usually very friendly.Here is a view of hunting from a native perspective.. http://www.tworowtimes.com/opinions/letters/hunting-season-six-nation

Is there good and bad in every race? Most definitely. This is simply about right and wrong and it is wrong to give special dispensation regardless the historical wrongs visited upon them or any other race, colour or creed. The words "Political correctness" suck and those who abide by it simply as an act of conformity suck even more.

One man shot and killed another man and got away with it. He shouldn't have. Simple enough?

and if that were true, it would also be very possible that the hunter shot at a buck, missed the deer, and hit the camouflaged hunter. [/size][/font][/color]

Granted, freak accidents do happen, and that just may be the case here...however, very possible?? I practice regularly with a rifle at 300 yards and making a 'kill shot' at that distance is no easy task. The odds of shooting at a deer, missing, and killing a person in the background at 300 yards is so miniscule, I don't buy it for a second.

I go there for gas and to visit the Burger Barn and aside from the crazy guys in pick up trucks wizzing past way over the speed limit, I have no problems. Anyone I have contact with is usually very friendly.Here is a view of hunting from a native perspective.. http://www.tworowtimes.com/opinions/letters/hunting-season-six-nations/

I have no issue going to the Reserve at all and travel through it every day. That said, there is no way in the world I would hunt there. The rules (if there are any) are different and whether it's legal for me to hunt there or not, I can assure you that I am not welcomed by most of the native hunters. That said, this guy didn't deserve to be shot to death whatever the reason.