Charges laid in Nipissing Ghost nets from last summer /Update July 23rd

kickingfrog

So you're saying we must adapt and accept that the lake is being raped and not care and then move forward with a destroyed resource because you're not the only one who lost a job. This just nonsense in my way of thinking.

Is the new way of thinking "too bad for those who lost their living".....move forward

I thought the new way of thinking was to PROTECT our environment for future generations ? ? ?

Wow.

So i guess the lodge owners that bring in people all the time that arent local and put them on fish have nothing to do with the lakes health?

I am of the opinion it should be completely shut down for any kind of fishing. If this was as big an issue as its made to be, that would be the best way to save the lake.

Rice lake is the main lake I fish. There is likely a reason there is no ice fishing on that lake for walleye.

Seems to me you are quite discriminate towards natives. I have seen the pictures you post, yet you make public postings about "indians". Show some respect.

Wow.

So i guess the lodge owners that bring in people all the time that arent local and put them on fish have nothing to do with the lakes health?

I am of the opinion it should be completely shut down for any kind of fishing. If this was as big an issue as its made to be, that would be the best way to save the lake.

Rice lake is the main lake I fish. There is likely a reason there is no ice fishing on that lake for walleye.

Seems to me you are quite discriminate towards natives. I have seen the pictures you post, yet you make public postings about "indians". Show some respect.

If you think that anglers have put Nipissing in the condition it is in now you are lying to yourself and everyone else. I am pointing my finger to those who are GILL NETTING the crap out of the lake and I don't care who they are as that doesn't make any difference. If it was Russians who were GILL NETTING a inland lake until it was devastated I would be pointing my finger at them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE re-post these pictures you have accused me of posting as I would be very interested to see them myself.

Edited by Mister G

Rick I applaud you for your unbiased, rational and intelligent views of this situation and others when it comes to First Nation issues. First Nations members are not Indians, Indians come from the east not Canada for God sakes, this is 2015 not 1715. I find that word offensive to both Indians and First Nation peoples. Having said that I do not think it fair for only you to argue on the side of any First Nation issues here. There was an individual, of who's name I don't recall, that usually gives us the point of view of NFN as he is a member. This issue had been talked about for many years now. At least the NFN have a closed season on netting now. It is a first positive step forward.

And I have to say it's easy to say to someone who's livelihood is in jeopardy to say, " Move and get a different occupation". Easy to say very difficult to do. Many outfitters have their life savings tied up in their camps. For some it's all they have done since a child. I would not go quietly into the night, as I am sure most of us wouldn't.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the use of traditional netting practices. The problem is that it's gone way past traditional. It needs to be stopped flat out. It's become abuse. The fishery is ripe to rebound. There are tons of small pickerel. My last trip there was stupid with the numbers of fish put in the boat. Something needs to be done. I doubt our current political situation will allow for it. It's a real shame, the lake is a factory if it is allowed to do its thing.

The people who buy the damn fish could stop the commercial netting in less than a week, simply by NOT buying the fish.

I am not from the area, I don't know any of the stakeholders involved, but I do KNOW. If there is no market for a product it doesn't get produced for very long. You don't see too many factories cranking out PCBS or DDT these days. If it is such an environmental calamity why are their still IDIOTS buying the fish?

I would bet the biggest irony is that a lot of the restaurants who are buying the cheap fish... aren't going to survive the drop in TOURISM in the area due to the lowered slot limits, anyhow.... Yet they will be the first to complain someone has to save the fishery to save us....

Edited by Canuck2fan

There's a lot of behind the scenes politics with first nations government. This is why self government would not work in most communities at this time. A young native I know was being groomed to be chief of a small band but he chose a career in policing instead.. he saw the writing on the wall. I can only imagine the turmoil in the band when the suspect seems to be related to the chief..

I know my views arent always popular in here, but my family is aboriginal and here is one thing I have to say.

If I seen these nets I would document it and cut them.

I know its illegal but whatever, to me and our community protecting the resource trumps law.

I would fight to impose a DRASTIC reduction in commercial fishing for a period of time, then re access.

Same for sport anglers, c&r only for a time then re access later

Id make FN commercial fishing, or any commercial fishing, pay and take part in restocking or severe penalties.

Id also fight to impose huge increases in prices of fish from nip to make it not worthwhile for the time being for commercial fisherman, vendors, resteraunts etc.

Hey it's only fair that if the natives who have historical treaty rights to fish for sustenance close down their fishing then we the dilettante Johnny come lately fishing for recreation should halt our fishing as well. Might not be a popular opinion but it is only through compromise and working together with the native peoples that we are going to be able to conserve the Canadian ecology. SACRIFICES WILL HAVE TO BE MADE BY BOTH SIDES.

Just that you pointed out that those who are effected by the down fall of the lake can move and I just pointed out that those who are contributing to it's down fall can move also.

You have pointed a LOT of good points today......keep them coming.

My solution is to do away with all commercial fishing if it's nets or anyway else. But let's do it like they did for Lake Erie in NYS. They imposed a $3 stamp that anyone who fished the lake must purchase for the next 3 years to buy out ALL LICENSED COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN (this would be need to tweet for all aboriginals who NOW fish the lake commercial purposes in a LEGAL form).

The money that those Indians would receive could start them into another business like purchasing a boat for chartering anglers or develop land for cottages to run or whatever. This would move them into the 21 century without losing their history or livelihood.

BTW after 2 years NYS did away with the stamp because they had more then enough funds to buy out the commercial fishermen and the lake has rebounded into the BEST Walleye fishery in the WORLD.

No reason the Big Nip can't rebound too with the right management and only sport fishing.

edited to say I have NO IDEA why some of the above is outlined in white... :dunno:

I love the idea of a specific use tax but there is no such thing in Canada no matter what a politician tells you. It is against our constitution. All taxes must go into a general coffer and then be distributed from there. If I had my druthers there would be a flat fishing license charge and the a 2 dollar stamp charge for every watershed or area you fished in. We pay far to little right now for the right to fish(Consider what trail permits cost) I know most wouldn't be for this but that's because once money goes into the coffer it now just disappears with no accountability. In the US they have Wallop-Breaux which is a tax on all sport fishing related items. That is why their DNR is run so much better than ours and they have such an extensive stocking program.

Hey it's only fair that if the natives who have historical treaty rights to fish for sustenance close down their fishing then we the dilettante Johnny come lately fishing for recreation should halt our fishing as well. Might not be a popular opinion but it is only through compromise and working together with the native peoples that we are going to be able to conserve the Canadian ecology. SACRIFICES WILL HAVE TO BE MADE BY BOTH SIDES.

Not sure if your totally agreeing with me or being sarcastic?

Yes, all sides should play apart in restoring the lake, I certainly agree with that!!!

Not sure if your totally agreeing with me or being sarcastic?

Yes, all sides should play apart in restoring the lake, I certainly agree with that!!

No I am totally agreeing with you. Treaty says they have a right to fish that makes it a law founded in our constitution. If they give up that right to protect the fishery we (non-natives) will look like idiots and self serving morons if also don't give it up. Our right to fish isn't protected by any law.

Now if you want to argue about if there should even be treaty rights that's a whole other ball game. Until those treaty rights are negotiated into nothingness though they are the law.

Edited by Musky or Specks

The people who buy the damn fish could stop the commercial netting in less than a week, simply by NOT buying the fish.

That's like trying to keep people buying cheap foreign pacific junk at all the big box stores, ain't going to happen any time soon or at all.

I love the idea of a specific use tax but there is no such thing in Canada no matter what a politician tells you. It is against our constitution. All taxes must go into a general coffer and then be distributed from there. If I had my druthers there would be a flat fishing license charge and the a 2 dollar stamp charge for every watershed or area you fished in. We pay far to little right now for the right to fish(Consider what trail permits cost) I know most wouldn't be for this but that's because once money goes into the coffer it now just disappears with no accountability. In the US they have Wallop-Breaux which is a tax on all sport fishing related items. That is why their DNR is run so much better than ours and they have such an extensive stocking program.

The US also has the Pittman-Robertson Act.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman%E2%80%93Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act

That's like trying to keep people buying cheap foreign pacific junk at all the big box stores, ain't going to happen any time soon or at all.

I'm sure you meant to KEEP PEOPLE FROM BUYING cheap foreign pacific junk (see China crappola) at big box stores.......

Or to keep people from buying illegal drugs that the government has never even slowed down......if they can't do that, then well..........

Edited by Mister G

I'm sure you meant to KEEP PEOPLE FROM BUYING cheap foreign pacific junk (see China crappola) at big box stores.......

Or to keep people from buying illegal drugs that the government has never even slowed down......if they can't do that, then well..........

Ya, having an old fart moment, probably thinking again. :worthy:

what the hell is wrong with these people??? I have kept my mouth shut about these issues for long enough. No more freekin different rules for different people!! I don't give a rats ass if someone was here before someone else. We all need to be treated equally and abide by the same laws. This is just total abuse!!!!!!! I await my ban LOL

Edited by kuha

Sounds like the Nipissing FN have some problems within their community. Does the Band Council speak for the community or not? In the NonNative community it's called breaking the law and the individual is dealt with in the courts. There needs to be more transparency in the FN community so that they gain some credibility.