Charges laid in Nipissing Ghost nets from last summer /Update July 23rd

kickingfrog

The Indians seem to believe as long as sport fishermen are fishing then they should also be allowed to lay hundreds of yards of GILL NETS to catch fish........never mind sport fishermen must deal with fish not biting because of many reasons.....however, all fish must still swim and that makes them vulnerable to gill nets even though they are not feeding.......

No problem with the truth.

My post was sarcastic and I believe yours was as well???

The aboriginal few give the whole lot a bad name, and its a shame.

I wish the best for nip, the fishery, the anglers, the industry.

Too be honest im sick of hearing about it.

Aboriginals following "their path" would never allow this to happen.

I dont know these people so I truly dont wanna pass judgment...

But how can anyone, euro canadian, aboriginal etc not understand that overharvesting a sick lake is such a bad idea?

Put the friggen politics and race aside, save the darn fishery, FOR EVERYONE

No problem with the truth.

My post was sarcastic and I believe yours was as well???

The aboriginal few give the whole lot a bad name, and its a shame.

I wish the best for nip, the fishery, the anglers, the industry.

Too be honest im sick of hearing about it.

Aboriginals following "their path" would never allow this to happen.

I dont know these people so I truly dont wanna pass judgment...

But how can anyone, euro canadian, aboriginal etc not understand that overharvesting a sick lake is such a bad idea?

Put the friggen politics and race aside, save the darn fishery, FOR EVERYONE

Well Said............I couldn't have said it better.........THANKS

I know my views arent always popular in here, but my family is aboriginal and here is one thing I have to say.

If I seen these nets I would document it and cut them.

I know its illegal but whatever, to me and our community protecting the resource trumps law.

I would fight to impose a DRASTIC reduction in commercial fishing for a period of time, then re access.

Same for sport anglers, c&r only for a time then re access later

Id make FN commercial fishing, or any commercial fishing, pay and take part in restocking or severe penalties.

Id also fight to impose huge increases in prices of fish from nip to make it not worthwhile for the time being for commercial fisherman, vendors, resteraunts etc.

Edited by manitoubass2

This is perfectly said. I work with a few aboriginals who maintain a medicinal garden. Everything is free to take for those in need as long as you never take more then you need. They believe in protecting nature and having it there for all until the end of time.

I feel as if its just a few bad apples.

If Nippising was a C&R lake only all the businesses up there will be putting "Out of Business" signs on day 1. Since they set the limit to 2 Walleye within the slot requirements some have already I am told.

Business owners have a choice that the lake itself does not have.

Sad reality

^^^

Teaching an old dog new tricks.

This commercial fishery should be illegal in the first place(large scale that is)

Traditional fishing did include nets, but obviously not nets of a massive scale.

Here we use nets(not me specifically but family and friends). They are small, put it in for 8 hours pull up then you have your fish (for personal or traditional use).

Family that commercial fish use the same nets, empty them 3 times per day then pull the nets. At $9 a lb its a decent living for an easy job...

Thats where it get crazy. Huge nets, large numbers of fish multiple time per day. Big bucks, hire a few kids to fillet and badda bing badda boom.

Big money and little work.

Its greed.

In our area these people would be BCR'd, which means basically chief and council bring forth a motion against a person for abusing the resourse,selling drugs or something, and the community votes to ban them from the rez.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the use of traditional netting practices. The problem is that it's gone way past traditional. It needs to be stopped flat out. It's become abuse. The fishery is ripe to rebound. There are tons of small pickerel. My last trip there was stupid with the numbers of fish put in the boat. Something needs to be done. I doubt our current political situation will allow for it. It's a real shame, the lake is a factory if it is allowed to do its thing.

MB, I applaud your convictions! That said, if you were a member of NFN, I think your take on the situation would be different.

Over the years that the Nip situation has been burning away, we have learned that it is by far the minority of NFN that are "abusing" the lake. This select few have had virtually free rain on the lake, with the senior members of the group, endorsing their efforts. We have a member here who has given us some insight as to the workings of the group. We have also been told that people who are against the netting and therefore potentially affecting some of the groups income, could expect reprisals should they speak too loudly.

It's a mess and will continue to be a mess until either leadership at NFN changes or the lake simply collapses. We all know that there is simply no political will to make any kind of change, at any government level.

Finding the guilty parties with regard to the ghost nets is a baby set in the right direction. I don't expect any harsh repercussions as a result of court time, but at the very least, they may have reduced the number of ghost nets floating and killing across the lake.

HH

So Nip is a huge lake.

Hows many ghost nets are we talking here?

Is it a combination of anglers harvesting and Fn netting thats dwindling the lakes populations?

Or are we talking huge numbers of ghost nets?

Where are these nets? Id think its fair to assume they would be relitively close to FN(if they are indeed solely responsible)

Who is this chief? Better yet who is on counsel?

More times then not its counsel that runs the show, the chief is but a figurehead.

Sometimes, the counsel is in the backpocket of the chief(usually though family, or vise versa)

When this happens however their terms are usually very short as the rest of the community suffers and does not vote them back in.

Anyhow thats just a little insight.

This sounds like a weird, made for tv mystery to me.

If Nippising was a C&R lake only all the businesses up there will be putting "Out of Business" signs on day 1. Since they set the limit to 2 Walleye within the slot requirements some have already I am told.

Business owners have a choice that the lake itself does not have.

Sad reality

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of hearing about lodge owners on the lake? I'm sure im not the only one to have felt job loss, for one reason or another. We live in a constant changing world. Change with it, or become part of the "old way of thinking". We must adapt to move forward. Sorry if that means lodge owners too.

Edited by Parnelly

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of hearing about lodge owners on the lake? I'm sure im not the only one to have felt job loss, for one reason or another. We live in a constant changing world. Change with it, or become part of the "old way of thinking". We must adapt to move forward. Sorry if that means lodge owners too.

So you're saying we must adapt and accept that the lake is being raped and not care and then move forward with a destroyed resource because you're not the only one who lost a job. This just nonsense in my way of thinking.

Is the new way of thinking "too bad for those who lost their living".....move forward

I thought the new way of thinking was to PROTECT our environment for future generations ? ? ?

Indians can move too.

Any parties involved can move, so im not sure what your point is other to say "indian"?

Most aboriginals IMo should move, get educated, then move back and provide professional services to their communities and provide jobs.

So much money is set aside for this through treaty that it boggles my mind that its not prerequisite for aboriginals to study entreprenuership(sp).

Anyhow, sounds to me that there are many guilty parties involved. And then those that love the lake stuck in the middle trying to figure things out with little or no outcome.

I feel for all parties involved, but I still side with the lake.

If a solution cannot be done found and implemented by all parties, temp shut down the fishery, PERIOD

Any parties involved can move, so im not sure what your point is other to say "indian"?

Most aboriginals IMo should move, get educated, then move back and provide professional services to their communities and provide jobs.

So much money is set aside for this through treaty that it boggles my mind that its not prerequisite for aboriginals to study entreprenuership(sp).

Anyhow, sounds to me that there are many guilty parties involved. And then those that love the lake stuck in the middle trying to figure things out with little or no outcome.

I feel for all parties involved, but I still side with the lake.

If a solution cannot be done found and implemented by all parties, temp shut down the fishery, PERIOD

Just that you pointed out that those who are effected by the down fall of the lake can move and I just pointed out that those who are contributing to it's down fall can move also.

You have pointed a LOT of good points today......keep them coming.

My solution is to do away with all commercial fishing if it's nets or anyway else. But let's do it like they did for Lake Erie in NYS. They imposed a $3 stamp that anyone who fished the lake must purchase for the next 3 years to buy out ALL LICENSED COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN (this would be need to tweet for all aboriginals who NOW fish the lake commercial purposes in a LEGAL form).

The money that those Indians would receive could start them into another business like purchasing a boat for chartering anglers or develop land for cottages to run or whatever. This would move them into the 21 century without losing their history or livelihood.

BTW after 2 years NYS did away with the stamp because they had more then enough funds to buy out the commercial fishermen and the lake has rebounded into the BEST Walleye fishery in the WORLD.

No reason the Big Nip can't rebound too with the right management and only sport fishing.

edited to say I have NO IDEA why some of the above is outlined in white... :dunno:

Edited by Mister G

NFN should be developing in all avenues of community structure and that leads to jobs.

A problem ive seen too often. Start a lodge or two( and financially its easy trust me) hire some experienced anglers and some teenagers for the camps.

Train some carpenters, to help build the community. Open grocery store and gas station(if they havent already)

Offer training to become CO's.

The nore jobs available and the better the community you'll eventually kill off those abusing the fishery.

One thing again, that bothers me, if indeed these ghost nets are FNF, someone in the community has no idea what due diligence means. Out them and oust them.

They are a disgrace to nature, the creator, the lake, their elders and their respective community