Trip of a Lifetime (pic heavy)

Basskicker

Well it all started on May 25, my annual northern pike spring trip. The excitement was intense this year as my buddy John and myself were heading to a new lake in search of some monster pike without all the cost of an expensive fly-in trip and we were not dissapointed. It was an amazing trip, completely surrounded by pristine wilderness, wildlife, solitude and serentiy for 8 days. The fishing was incredible.....I have fished all over this country but nothing came close to what we experienced.....easily 500-600 fish ....not alot of huge fish.....but the numbers were incredble.

We left at 3:00 A.M. to beat the traffic, half way up we watched a transport driver dragging a large deer off the road which he hit.....time to slow down. Eventually after 7-8 hours we made it to cochrane

LawagamauSpringPike006.jpg

The weather was beautifull but it was gusting to 60 km. With another 200 km to go, we departed Cochrane as quick as possible after grabbing our last Tim Hortons and leaving civilization as we knew it. It wasn't long before we encountered our first bear, one of many!!!In the next 200 km we passed 5 bears.....real hard to get pictures as they spooked before we could get pictures. They really need to have the spring bear hunt up there.

LawagamauSpringPike010.jpg

We finally reached the launch with the anticipation of loading the boat and travelling the 18 km down the lake in search of the a campsite, but it was not meant to be. There was huge waves crashing into shore with the wind gusting from 40-60 km. So we decided to wait until the next morning and try the crossing when the weather permitting. So we set up our tents, launched the boat and spent a couple hours fishing close to the boat launch nothing huge but we probably caught 30-40 pike. Typical size pike for the trip.

LawagamauSpringPike034.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike063.jpg

The next morning we awoke at daylight and the winds had subsided....finally. Before we left I saw this little guy smoking a cigar I think.....

LawagamauSpringPike021.jpg

After an epic 18km ride down the lake we finally found our home for the week. An absolutely stunning beautiful sandy beach with a nicely wooded area with soft moss for our tents. Probably one of the nicest spots in the middle of nowhere I have ever seen.

After setting up camp we went fishing for a few hours and we not dissapointed. We caught so many fish we lost count rather quickly. Here's a sample of some of our fish....

LawagamauSpringPike053.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike042.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike085.jpg

I usually don't keep fish to eat, but fresh walleye straight out of the lake couldn't be resisted. In total we keep 11 small walleye during the week for 2 good meals.

LawagamauSpringPike058.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike060.jpg

The weather wasn't very good, it rained 5 of the 7 days, but we had a total of 2 sunny days with some beautifull sunsets

LawagamauSpringPike101.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike077.jpg

Each and every day we consistently caught near or over 100 fish, mostly smaller one 3-5lbs range but we did manage to catch 7 fish over 10 lbs and a couple pushing or over 20lbs. Unfortunately I didn't have a OFNCommunity.com logo...stupid me. Sorry Team #7. Anyway here a couple more pics...

LawagamauSpringPike062.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike082.jpg

This was the state of my Ripplin Redfin after 2 days....brand new out of the box...they destroyed it!!!

LawagamauSpringPike051.jpg

Here our 2 largest fish.....

LawagamauSpringPike095.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike099.jpg

After 4 days of continous rain we had enough and decided to pack it in and make the trip home, once again the road home was full of bears...seen 6 more on the way home and a moose.

LawagamauSpringPike106.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike121.jpg

LawagamauSpringPike119.jpg

Overall it was the best fishing I have ever experienced, the beauty of the great far north....2 moose, 11 bears, rabbit, grouse, loons, geese.....simply priceless!!!

LawagamauSpringPike074.jpg

Jason.....only 360 days until next year.....what am I going to to....hmm....FISH!!

Edited by Basskicker

Wow Jason, what an epic trip! I can't believe you guys saw that many bears during the day...there really must be a lot up there. Looks like a pretty substantial boat you guys used, what was the launch like? Was it tough to get the boat in the water?

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report!!!! Those pike have HUGE heads!!! Ripplin redfin hey? I've had one in my box and never use it. I think that will change soon. :Gonefishing:

Dont morget the bear mace next year. :canadian:

Wow, that sure is a trip of a lifetime! And the pics are about some of the best I have ever seen! The fish you caught are amazing, WAY TO GO!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim: I love the rabbitt pic with a colt hanging out of the mouth, priceless! Thanks for sharing. It sure is beautiful there. :rolleyes: