Black flies in Algonquin.

singingdog

Early June is the "heat" of the blackflies almost everywhere in Algonquin (at least it was the past two years and this year looks no different). The dirty little buggers were thick until July in some parts. Definitely go with bug jackets/nets or bug spray, if not you WILL (not exaggerating haha) have close to hundreds of blackflies on you biting/looking to bite. Bug spray/bug netting means you'll have hundreds on you but not biting haha.

P.S. if the blackflies have slowed down by then, the mosquitoes will be there in high numbers

As others have mentioned, there will be black flies, which are a bloody nuisance, and black BEARS, whose bites are an order of magnitude worse. So you need to be prepared for both! I recall one canoe trip in Algonquin where we had to eat in the tent because every time we opened our mouths we would swallow a dozen black flies. But of course eating in the tent is a really stupid idea, because it might leave food odours in the tent, which might ring the dinner bell for the bears...........

I have two friends who use the Thermacell repellents in the spring for turkey hunting, and both say the devices work well. They might be a good idea to use whilst eating, but of course one would not be running a Thermacell 24/7............

It's Algonquin, and black flies are part of the experience! :canadian:

Doug

in PAB we had black flies nearly the entire summer, in early June you can expect it to be a complete gongshow as that is the absolute peak of black fly season. Typically it kicks up around the may 24 and then that first week in June is almost unbearable, lots of bug dope and a bug net hat are pretty much a necessity if you hope to not be breathing in the buggers through your nose and having them go in your ears constantly.

Not to mention crawling into your pants and biting you on your private parts (its happened and its not fun)

Luckily if you are up there getting bit every year you gain a tolerance and the bites dont blow up as bad, but if your buddy is not a regular he can expect 100 large itchy welts covering his entire body from just one weekend.

Edited by AKRISONER

Early June is the best time for Brook trout fishing but the worst time for black flies. Even with bug jackets and every known repellent in the universe After a week I still come out with hundreds of bites. Bring an enclosed shelter for cooking/eating This is what I use so I don't have to woory about ingesting extra protein or food smells in my sleeping area.

http://www.tentcityoutfitters.com/p/566/eureka-parawing-vcs-13-mesh-room

Worst of the black flies means= Best fishing /no crowds

Exactly what Musky or Specks said ! First week of June is the worst time for biting bugs in the backcountry from my experience .

If they are going to enjoy the camping/sights and portaging experience of Algonquin I would be going another time , if there

fishing for brook trout that is the best time but you will get killed by the bugs and if its lakers you are after then the first two weeks

of May are prime . Thermacells , 100% Deet and Permethrin are in my arsenal for all spring trips into the backcountry .

Worst I ever experienced, probably early June up that way, I was out on the water and I had to make a shoreline stop, right now. Paddled ashore, got out, dropped my pants, and immediately was attacked savagely and, I might add, rudely. I pulled up my pants, leaped back aboard, paddled back out onto the lake and decided I would rather dirty my drawers than have a thousand bites on tender parts.......... :excl: