Walleye + Bacon = YUMMY!

limeyangler

Hi all,

Made some walleye wrapped in bacon with steamed veggies and a homemade parsley sauce with the walleye Jack caught fort us at the shack last night.

Pretty darned good even if I do say so myself!

YUM

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Never made them before but heard and seen lots of other people do it,

Needless to say it will be on the menu again.

a bit of a healthier option than the conventional fishfry, oven baked then finished under the grill, and only a teaspoon of butter to make the parsley sauce. Could even make the roux with margarine for even less saturated fat.

Gonna try this with pike next time, should be just as good!

Si.

Edited by limeyangler

Food Art that tastes great too. They can keep surf and turf and I'll keep my money in my pocket. You can wrap fresh Walleye in old newspapers and it would still be great.

You need the fiber at your age sir.

Great looking plate!!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Looks GREAT, but when did bacon become a healthy food choice. If this is true I want one of those pizza's wrapped with over 3.5' of BACON.

BTW everything taste better with bacon. I'll bet you could wrap dog poo with bacon and it would be good....LOL

Looks GREAT, but when did bacon become a healthy food choice. If this is true I want one of those pizza's wrapped with over 3.5' of BACON.

BTW everything taste better with bacon. I'll bet you could wrap dog poo with bacon and it would be good....LOL

My exact words were " a bit of a healthier option than the conventional fishfry." Obviously not 'the' healthiest choice but makes me feel better knowing its at least grilled….lol.

I'm no expert on what's more healthy and would really like it if someone could chime in. But in my opinion, a proper fish fry using Canola Oil and properly deep frying the fish MAY be better.

I know Canola Oil is the oil of choice and better for your heart and if you deep fry fish properly at the proper desired temp, the moisture within the fish pushes out the oil from being absorbed into the fillet. That's the violent bubbles you see as the moisture / water is boiling away. Then putting them or racks and NEVER on paper towels to drain off any excess oil for a few minutes is the best way to fry fish......according to Alton Brown and he's the man when it comes to cooking science.

I'm no expert on what's more healthy and would really like it if someone could chime in. But in my opinion, a proper fish fry using Canola Oil and properly deep frying the fish MAY be better.

I know Canola Oil is the oil of choice and better for your heart and if you deep fry fish properly at the proper desired temp, the moisture within the fish pushes out the oil from being absorbed into the fillet. That's the violent bubbles you see as the moisture / water is boiling away. Then putting them or racks and NEVER on paper towels to drain off any excess oil for a few minutes is the best way to fry fish......according to Alton Brown and he's the man when it comes to cooking science.

The healthiest option for fried or any food is 'moderation' and exercise.

Simon, that plate looks great!!!!!

As far as "healthy" is concerned, as with everything, moderation is key! If bacon wasn't good for us, the good lord wouldn't have put so much pork on the planet. Are we gonna start questioning the almighty now?! LOL

HH

ps... look Cliff(CCMT), no ketchup required! LMAO

Alton is a great chef and cook, and he follows the science very well. I love watching his shows.

But hes not a nutritionist.

Limeys version of fish here, compared to a fried walleye is really a moot point, if you added one fillet of fried walleye in exchange, youd basically have a carbon copy from a nutritional standpoint.

Although I like simons cooking method much better, the walleye is less denatured, same with the bacon.

however, the two most important things I see in this dish(outside of looking fantastically delishious) is one, the portion size, and two, the addition of veg.

when you consume fats and carbohydrates, veg, especially fibrous, slows gastric emptying. As does the protein of the fish. This lowers the glycemic response of the meal to a nice trickle, instead of a spike increasing insulin drastically. Insulin works as a storage hormone, so the steadyness of that effects the healthy aspect of any meal really.

this in effect is whats called "nutrient partitioning". Basically meaning youve set up your meal in a manner that the body can reap the most benefit of the macronutrients and the micronutrients.

the micros and macros(especially the micros) are damaged by frying. This is why id prefer, from a nutritional standpoint, limeys method. But its one meal. If you designed a study, it would conclude, further testing needs to be done, as results proved to be clinically Non statistical

hope this makes sense, or I at least helped some people go back to sleep???

Edited by manitoubass2

Frying anything is bad. But if you must fry use real butter instead of oil. Any oil in a bottle is not good because of oxidization. Canola is a bmo product if I am not mistaken. Margarine is just unhealthy and should never be used, EVER. All this talk about to much cholesterol and salt in our diets is a big lie. This is why alzheimers is out of control with the elderly because they don't get enough cholesterol to keep their brain healthy. \salt is required to produce stomach acid. Low salt diets are the biggest cause of gut problems. Not enough salt and your stomach acid is to weak to break down your food. Also never drink carbonated drinks with your meal. Anything carbonated also dilutes your stomach acid.

Looks delish Si, how did you make the sauce? Ingredients please :)

Its a basic white sauce Joey with some veg stock and milk, teaspoon of Hot English Mustard and chopped parsley, keep adding milk until you get the consistency you want, they say the sauce should just adhere enough to coat the back of a metal spoon for the right consistency.

Hey I could do a video recipe!!!

Edited by limeyangler

First time I ever had bacon wrapped walleye was on a fly-in 3-4 years ago. One of the most delicious things I'd ever had. I usually like my walleye nice and simple and don't get enough to experiment too much, but a week of eating it was a great chance to try it a few different ways.

The healthiest option for fried or any food is 'moderation' and exercise.

OH YA SURE, now you're taking the fun out of everything........LOL

Relax, I'm not against you, I just expressed my opinion.

PEACE Brother and keep sharing those delicious dishes with us.

Edited by Mister G

OH YA SURE, now you're taking the fun out of everything........LOL

Relax, I'm not against you, I just expressed my opinion.

PEACE Brother and keep sharing those delicious dishes with us

I aint biting, pun intended.

Edited by limeyangler

I am so sorry limeyangler, I had no idea you were that sensitive.

I am a sensitive soul, I admit….but it is actually one of my better qualities. Why do you feel the need to make personal judgements about me? You keep telling me to relax, not to be sensitive, that I'm lacking in 'fun' when all I did was point out to you that I never said bacon was a healthy option which you alluded to in your reply. Am I missing something here?

Edited by limeyangler