Fishing injury

Burtess

I have just been diagnosed with tennis elbow, the only repetitive motions I do that could cause it are jigging. Man is it ever painful, makes brushing your teeth or holding a coffee mug difficult.

Have been told to ice it and rest it for 2 weeks..... This is going to be difficult as there is another month left of ice fishing season!!!

Anyone else ever have a similar fishing injury?

Burt :)

My wife has it also....... Just sayin' :P

Never played tennis in her life :)

But seriously she does have it and uses a frozen bag of peas every once in awhile... Best u can do is let it heal.

Edited by Gerritt

Haha bill.

Yep ice it up. Take some fish oil to increase healthy inflammation.

Stay away from NSAIDS if possible, they reduce positive and negative inflammation and that prolongs healing.

Tennis elbow can be a pita taking months to heal.

Jig (or tug lol) with the opposite hand.

RICE

Lol I was told by the guys at work to do the backhand jigging method for a while till it heals.

I'll get some ice on it tonight and see how it goes.

Youll need ice alot more then one night. Ice often for a few days, every 4 hours or so if you can(initially it will feel much stiffer)

Then after 4 or 5 days alternate between ice and heat. Ice takes down the inflammation.

Heat promotes blood flow to the injured area.

Dont overuse that arm or its gonna take months to heal.

I cant see this being caused by jigging but who knows? Usually it would take more stress then that.

What did your dr say?

Edited by manitoubass2

I as well was diagnosed with Tennis elbow. I told my Dr. I haven't played tennis in years, he said "OK Fishing elbow then." So I asked him for a RX for a downrigger.

But seriously baby it for a few weeks. I didn't and 25 years latter it still hurts under load. It hurts most swinging a framing hammer and golfing. I can not troll using my right arm to this day.

ICE= ICE/COMPRESSION/ELEVATION

Put it in a sling after you have iced it and wrapped it in a 6 inch Ace bandage. If not that inflammation may act up for the rest of your life.

I will ice for no more than 5 minutes every 4 hours. I've know guys that have actually gotten frost bite using ice from the freezer. Use medicinal frozen peas or corn.

Use ice or a cold pack, but never directly on the skin. Always make sure there is a barrier, whether it be a piece of cloth or something else. Dont apply ice directly to skin

Been there. You can purchase an elbow velcro ice wrap. Pluck it out of deep freeze and strap it down for your icing time. When finished, throw it back in the deep freeze for your next session. I brought mine to work to max out on the icing period. I was advised 20 minutes on/off for the first few days.

Had that injury a couple years ago and yes it was a PITA to heal . Could barely lift a coffee like you said .

Took at least 4 months to heal properly (didn't rest it do to work and fishing :whistling:) Anyways I found ice

helped it as well as one of those arm band things that they sell at the drug store designed for tennis elbow !

It wraps around the forearm just below the elbow providing support to the injured area .

Go get one , they work . Some are better then others so its trial and error .

Good luck

Back in the fall after a day bushwhacking steelhead I started to get numbness in the last three fingers on my left hand. I figured I had banged my elbow and pinched a nerve or something. On and off numbness continues until now.... and now it's pain on the outside of the elbow. Doc said to ice it 3X per day and not to use it. Going to be difficult as I drive a stick too so us both hands all the time. I will pick up a brace and try that too.

Thanks for the advise!

Had the same thing- figured it was from trolling big baits and reefing ahead with left arm while driving boat. Went to physio- got acupuncture and shock treatment- along with exercises- worked really well. Got some back now though so gotta get on with the exercises again.

I've controlled mine for 25 years by never fishing with out arm bans. Putting them on after pain starts is closing the barn door after the horse left.

yep. The warmth still provides blood flow to the injury, and provides some stability to take pressure off the tendons

Sorry garnet I misread that... so I adjusted my post

Edited by manitoubass2

Thats what the injury is called.

I had a weird feeling at my elbow this fall and winter and it was my first time experiencing it.

If it was tennis elbow youd know it. Super annoying pain non stop from just doing simple little things.

Ive had it twice and its not fun, almost as bad as planter fasciitis which is like walking on broken glass for months on end)

And it can last a long time

Edited by manitoubass2

had a bout with golfer's elbow (no I dont golf, likely got it from poor form lifting weights), very similar to tennis elbow but it affects the inside of the elbow as opposed to the outside. took a long time to heal. i went to a sports therapist who performed ART (active release technique) and that seemed to help considerably.

Edited by Raf

had a bout with golfer's elbow (no I dont golf, likely got it from poor form lifting weights), very similar to tennis elbow but it affects the inside of the elbow as opposed to the outside. took a long time to heal. i went to a sports therapist who performed ART (active release technique) and that seemed to help considerably.

Same way I got tennis elbow. It was either too wide of a grip on barbell curls or from tricep pull downs. (Or both)

Edited by manitoubass2

There was a significant increase in weight training in the early 70's. There were very few gyms and even less individuals who knew what they were talking about. A strength coach for any sport had not yet been invented. If you looked at a common work out from the 70's you would cringe. You learned how to lift by reading Joe Weiders articles in magazines low reps with massive loads. Now that I'm 60 my joints are bone on bone, there are hairline stress fractures in almost every large joint. Was it from lifting heavy? Maybe. Lifting wrong, most likely.

It wasn't only the 70's that we did things wrong. In the 90's 2 of the worlds best golfers swore by weight training, no one in golf had ever trained their bodies with heavy weights. One was David Duval the second is Tiger Woods, neither are playing today on tour. Neither are 40 yet.

If it was tennis elbow youd know it. Super annoying pain non stop from just doing simple little things.

Ive had it twice and its not fun, almost as bad as planter fasciitis which is like walking on broken glass for months on end)

And it can last a long time

Thanks for clearing that up.

I had planters foot at one point and that was horrible...I remember suffering for a month before I got it checked out. I even remember trying to go to the gym and combat this pain on the treadmill.