New to me Mercury Mariner 2 hp 2 stroke outboard!!

Hi guys, I bought a Mariner 2 hp 2 stroke outboard for my aluminum sportspal canoe off kijiji this weekend, it looks like it's in mint condition. I was shown how to start it up, and what fuel mixture I should be using (50:1), but other than that, I know absolutely nothing about the motor.

If/when in the future I need to buy parts to replace on it, or even just a new spark plug every so often, how would I go about determining what to buy, and who to buy it from online? I know these motors are fairly common, so there must be an abundance of guys working on them and used parts of sale.

If anybody has any insight on what this motor actually is (model), I'd love to get any advice from you guys!

Thanks,

Matt

Picture of my new motor!

image_zpseaodmvtm.jpg

Edited by northernpike5391

You can pick up plugs at Canadian Tire.

FYI you will need the serial # of the motor in order to get parts for it.

You should still be able to get some parts at your local Mercury Marine parts counter.

Here are a few links for getting other parts:

http://www.marineparts.com/PARTSPAGES/mercurymariner.htm

http://www.usboatsupply.com/outboard-parts.php

http://www.maxrules.com/fixmercindex.html

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Cool Thanks!!, next time I'm out in the garage I'll pull off the cowling and write down what the serial number for the model is. Can't seem to find it on the surface of the motor

All the info you need is in your first pic on the serial number plate, you aint gonna find anything taking the cowling off

look to where tiller handle meets the cowling and look down to the black and silver plate in you pic that is the serial # plate and info for parts

Great score! Never sell that thing (except to me :) ), keep it in the family.

Does it have neutral? Neutral is a huge plus.

edit- see if it's made in Japan, Yamaha made some small outboards for Merc and Mariner and they were solid

Edited by chris.brock

Id say thats a yamaha built mariner myself. If the plate says made in japan, its usually a yamaha. Your parts will be yamaha parts. That is a great little engine. Like Chris said, dont ever part with it.

Any idea what year it is? The serial and model number on the plate will tell you everything.

Good score!

S.

It would be built in fuel tank. We put a 9.9 on a 10' sportspal with a tiller extension handle thing so you could sit in the middle, and slowly took it up to WOT. It went like a dart, but revved out. A bigger pitch prop would have been interesting.

Edited by chris.brock

To rub it in even more, I got it for 250 bucks! B)B)

My sportspal canoe I got for 500 bucks and it is in mint condition. Kijiji is amazing, you just gotta keep your eyes peeled for the real deal.

I looked at the motor more closely, and the model is a Mariner 2M 6A1. Seems to be a fairly common little motor as a google search yielded a ton of results

Edited by northernpike5391

Looks like a great little motor. I've been using an old 1978 Johnson for a few years. My friend and I took it apart and rebuilt most of it - I was surprised how easy it was. Getting parts for my older unit was somewhat difficult, but I'm sure yours should be pretty easy.

A couple years back i traded an xbox for a 3.5 hp merc 1983 built in tank. Its been a pretty good engine to me . I can push my 16' starcraft around when i want to troll and its dirt cheap to fill it lol. The only thing I dont like about mine is that there is no lower cowling, the upper is held on by the fuel tank cap and the guts are exposes below the cowling. Always used to worry about water getting in there but hasnt been a problem so far. Your motor looks mint..nice find!

We put a 9.9 on a 10' sportspal with a tiller extension handle thing so you could sit in the middle, and slowly took it up to WOT. It went like a dart, but revved out. A bigger pitch prop would have been interesting.

Dont mean to derail the thread but you have seriously got to be kidding LOL!

My cousin tried to kill himself and his little tyke by strapping a 20 HP Merc on the back of his 7 foot inflatable and pulled the kid on skis. The only person near death was him when his wife found out that the 7 year old had to sit up front to act as a ballast.

Find something an engine can be attached to and man will find a way to race it. I never thought a canoer could be charged for creating a wake in a no wake zone.

Great score by the way. That would be a perfect match for Featherstone Teds 90 Mariner as the kicker. $250.00!!!!!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Today is nice and warm so I filled up a garbage can with water and tried to start my motor in there. Full tank of fuel and it won't start after a bunch of tries. It almost sounds like its not getting any fuel delivered to it, and I'm not seeing any exhaust fumes or smoke. Any suggestions?

If you've never seen this motor run it could be alot of different things but start out with the easy things 1st.

Check the plug and make sure it's clean then snug it up and be sure the lead is on tight.