Fishing before bass seasons opens...

adam lancia

Rick, isn't watching them the neatest thing to see? Sometimes they will hit a leaf floating by and sometimes they will ignore it. Those things can move and move fast. They will head butt carp and Gar 5 feet off the bed and be back in a few seconds. I also notice they leave the beds to feed (I will not give the time they do here). They have to feed sometimes. Feeding time they are really aggressive.

Oh yeah its awesome to watch!

They strike almost anything. Ive even seen them leave a bed and take a run at my dogs 20 ft away.

Its been a few years though because the water has been high and dirty.

But when its crystal clear id oftwn take a cup of tea down from the house at 6 am and watch for an hour or so.

And yes, they attack fast!!! Turn on a dime them fish. 0 to 100 in a blink of an eye

March through to May I spend a lot of time chasing panfish. May I have cats carp pike and walleye to focus on. Bass opener these days is more of a non event. Far too many down here chase then before opener with all sort of lame excuses.

If you want bass fishing you might want to take a trip north, Zones 1 to 9, and much of 10, are year-round seasons.

I believe New York has a early spring season, lots of big smallies 6+ pounds in the Niagara and Eastern lake Erie.

Indeed both species of Bass show on page 23 of the 2015 regs opened all year. Slot size is any fish under 35cm or under 13.8".

Bass is catch and release only in NY until sometime in June when there are catch limits. Since I fish for Bass on a bi annual trip there I should know all the regs. exactly shouldn't I?

I kinda have a milk run of species. First ice eyes, then perch, then trout/whities, last ice perch, then ice out perch, then crappies until walleye opens (maybe ice out trout too), by then walleye is in full swing until late june, get a couple musky trips in, great lakes trolling, more early fall musky, then its hunting, hunting, hunting until ice up. Never enough time.

S.

Another discussion where one fish is more valuable than another? I hear they are selling bumper stickers " Kill A Musky Save a Walleye"

Now that's just STUPID.............I am NOT a musky guy and would never just kill any fish because I don't like the species. However, I am not going to give a fellow angler grief if he decides to keep a legal musky to eat or mount. There are two sides to every coin.

Smallies are introduced out there and do a great job of out-competing the beloved brook trout to the point they become rare/non-existant in a waterbody.

They're also introduced in Ontario, they were originally restricted to the Mississippi drainage and nearby waters. As were largemouth, if I recall correctly.

Relax G, it was a tongue in cheek statement based on the outrage resulting from a recent incident on the Detroit River.

OH, OK..............but I don't know if we are on a first name basis yet. However, buying me dinner might get you there......LOL