Dogs and Vaccines, a discussion - NF

Joey

Thank you Maureen, I will do that for sure. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I've been up and down about the benefits/downfalls of vaccines for animals for years now. I'm certainly going to research it. He just seems so sensitive to everything I would hate for something aweful to happen either way (getting the vaccine or not).

Thanks,

Joey

Remember our Cuddles,

004_zps70c78d86.jpg

well she had all her puppy shots when we got her. Since that time,we never had a shot given to her. She lived a long time with us. Always happy and spunky. Seen no need to give her any shots since she was a lap/house dog. She past at the age of 11. Thats a good life for a coakapoo. She ended passing due to cancer.

We now have Gizmo,

gizmo 001h.jpg

a Yorkie. He is the same. All puppy shots then nothing after. He is no different then what cuddles was, Happy,spunky and a good friend. Pain in the ass at times,but he,s our friend.

Edited by Brian B

My dog has a bad reaction to the kennel cough shot.

His reaction was worse when he had it administered nasally.

But when he gets it orally he has no bad reaction. :good:

Ask your vet if this particular vaccine can be administered in ways other than intravenously.

My hound always gets her kennel cough shot and got kennel cough this year......we asked the vet how can that be.........he said just like the flu there are different strains of kennel cough....seems like a waste of time and MONEY IMHO.

Edited by Mister G

My hound always gets her kennel cough shot and got kennel cough this year......we asked the vet how can that be.........he said just like the flu there are different strains of kennel cough....seems like a waste of time and MONEY IMHO.

Yes, mine got it once too.

The kennel I put him in when I have to go away for work or other reasons will not let me board him without the shot though.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.

Yes, mine got it once too.

The kennel I put him in when I have to go away for work or other reasons will not let me board him without the shot though.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.

YEP, that's exactly what happened to us. You can't board the dog unless they have the shot and we can see the logic in that. HOWEVER, the kennel also does dog grooming and those dogs don't need a shot so we think it might have come from there.

The local CO's were requesting coyote carcasses a while back, testing for a new strain of parvo...vaccination isn't a guarantee by any means, but I do believe it helps

The more interaction your dog has with other dogs, wildlife, livestock, etc the more risk there is to contract something

I've always thought it odd that most kennels and dog sitters require paperwork for vacs, but groomers don't seem to ask

The more interaction your dog has with other dogs, wildlife, livestock, etc the more risk there is to contract something

I've always thought it odd that most kennels and dog sitters require paperwork for vacs, but groomers don't seem to ask

Actually, a number of groomers, the reputable ones, will insist on records of vaccination. Ours does, as does the local Petsmart.