musky rods and reels

Lunatic

I do have a Tekota 500, non-line counter version, and yes in a pinch it can be used for casting - but it is pretty heavy and you also have to manually click over the lever to reel after casting, which can be a bit of a pain. It also has a very low gear ratio, 4:1 if I am not mistaken, so you won't be reeling back any baits quickly - which is often a key to triggering muskies. Not a great starter reel for casting - that being said, it's my favourite muskie trolling reel - I use it and also a Tekota 600 with the line counter. They are bulletproof as trolling reels.

I've also heard plenty of bad things about the Cardiffs. Would put them in the same ballpark as an Abu C4.

Lunatic - Black Maxx is one of Abu's lower end combos... not their 'good stuff'. You won't be disappointed in C3, and you will love a Revo Toro.

Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch 60 = 10.8 oz

Abu Garcia C3 6500 = 10.7 oz

Shimano Calcutta B 400 = 11.7 oz

Shimano Calcutta D 400 = 11.8 oz

Shimano Calcutta TE 400 = 12.8 oz

Shimano Tekota 500 (non line counter) = 15.3 oz

Shimano Tekota 500 (line counter) = 16.3 oz

Abu Garcia 7000i - 21.5 oz

Shimano Tekota 600 (non line counter) = 16 oz

Shimano Tekota 600 (line counter) = 16.9 oz

interesting stats on the weights.

no wonder I don't see the weight savings between a 5 ounce reel and a 7 ounce reel (bass reels).

i would never have guessed the 500 tekota and 600 tekota weigh what they do. I can only imagine what my tekota 700 and 800 weighs loaded with 300' and 400' sections of copper, lol.

70 ounces, lol.

doesnt matter much if they sit in a rod holder all day :D

weights alone are a bit deceiving IMO, it's more about how balanced it is on the rod. though my 301 curado setup does feel like a ML bass outfit after using the 7001 LOL

Edited by Raf

I've got two Abu C4s 5601s that I don't need anymore. One has Power handle. PM me if interested. As Pete said they are not very good for big baits, but Topwaters, jerkbaits, and anything under 3oz is fine. Twin Bucktails under sz10 are a breeze

Keep in mind when choosing, Lefty is a hard road. I would think less than 20% of the fishing pop are left retrieve meaning not as many reels are produced. Plus alot of Manufactures dont even carry the full line up on both sides, try to find out info on the lefty Tranx!lol.

My current combos are a Calcutta TE 401 and a Toro HS 61 on StCroix Premier rods one 7' one 8'.

I'm looking to upgrade my rods to Tournaments soon.

My advice on rods..... Anything StCroix Full Cork.

Edited by SirWhite

You would do yourself well to listen to Pete, he is a hardcore angler, who uses his equipment a lot. Therefore he would know what lasts. His willingness to share information and give back to the fishing community is awesome. My only problem with him is that he is the reason I am addicted to musky fishing. I caught my first ski with him, and have been addicted ever since.

You would do yourself well to listen to Pete, he is a hardcore angler, who uses his equipment a lot. Therefore he would know what lasts. His willingness to share information and give back to the fishing community is awesome. My only problem with him is that he is the reason I am addicted to musky fishing. I caught my first ski with him, and have been addicted ever since.

ugh, hes trying to do the same to me as well...too many meet ups for gear recently lol

Great info Pete!

My personal experience with the Cardiff reels has been 100% positive, they have performed above expectations. I took my Cardiff 401 down to the Virign Islands a few years back and landed almost a dozen tarpon on it from 20-80lbs. I expected it to be destroyed after that, but it still runs beautifully. That being said, I don't use it to cast big baits - that could be the weak point...

I would think less than 20% of the fishing pop are left retrieve

Have a look at the link I provided earlier in this thread. It is from tackletour. There are over 700 people who responded to the question "what hand do you reel with". The pole currently it sits at 58% Left and 42% Right.

I believe it is a misconception that there are more people who reel with their right than their left. When I worked at a tackle shop for 3 years we sold more left handed bait casters than right.

Have a look at the link I provided earlier in this thread. It is from tackletour. There are over 700 people who responded to the question "what hand do you reel with". The pole currently it sits at 58% Left and 42% Right.

I believe it is a misconception that there are more people who reel with their right than their left. When I worked at a tackle shop for 3 years we sold more left handed bait casters than right.

According to 2rr's that information is fabricated, and anatomically incorrect.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

I stated my case in what I believe was clear text and don't need you to edit my thoughts nor add snide remarks.

The world is full of misinformed people...

According to Fox News, 16 million American adults believe Elvis is still alive.

They didn't say if these folks reeled left or not...

Still don't get what the mechanical advantage is that garry2rs refers to.....

- reels now have free spool. You don't need the handle on the right side.

- you don't need the handle on the right side to articulate your wrist. Point the handle at what you're casting at, and it'll work out the same.

The mechanical advantage would be to do what you're most comfortable with.....otherwise, you're likely less coordinated with your actions.

Edited by cram

Still don't get what the mechanical advantage is that garry2rs refers to.....

- reels now have free spool. You don't need the handle on the right side.

- you don't need the handle on the right side to articulate your wrist. Point the handle at what you're casting at, and it'll work out the same.

The mechanical advantage would be to do what you're most comfortable with.....otherwise, you're likely less coordinated with your actions.

I am reluctant to answer because the lefties have already decided the issue. Obviously they are right because it feels more natural to them after years of spinning. It would probably be pretentious if I were to point out that this feeling goes away once they learn how to cast.

However, on the slim hope that there are still some open minds, I will try one last time.

To answer your questions:

1: YES you can use the lefty canted to the side, but the left-hand reel's handle is then pointing down and in...Toward your sleeve, coat or belly etc. Murphy's Law tells us that sooner or later you will accidently drop the reel into gear...What happens next depends on your grip, the weight of your lure and the strength of your line.

This is the mechanics of a spring under tension, like a mouse trap.

2: Because of this, many casters will choose or over time start to hold the reel level. This puts the reel handle where they want it. It seems natural, feels good etc. However, it will shorten their cast because they can't flex their wrist as far.

This is due to the mechanics of the human body.

3: Since there is no switching of hands, during or after the cast, how do you get a palm grip on the reel? The answer is you don't...By not palming the reel you put undo stress on your wrists as you crank. This becomes more pronounced as the water resistance of the bait increases.

This is mechanics x 2, creating torque with gears and the design of the human wrist.

Please buy a left-hand reel, you will leave more fish for me!

I started with and learned how to cast quite well with RH baitcasters, because that was what was available. As soon as leftys became readily available, I switched. You can put all the pomp and circumstance on it that you like, fact is you will naturally do better with a reel that you are more comfortable with in your hand, be that right or left. As for musky gear, I sold all my crap years ago. But it was mainly 6501 C3's. They we're decent reels, but I just lost interest in musky. I wouldn't think twice about even the lower priced line of st croix. Excellent rods. The odd time I get the itch now and again, I just break out my slop rod, and it does just fine for kawartha muskies. I have to be honest, the only reason to use heavy tackle in my opinion is due to heavy baits. I never particulary enjoyed cranking in a 45 inch plus fish on 80lb test. I've never fished the areas that turn out 50lbers though. I've caught some nice fish incidentally on light line while pickerel fishing in the spring, and that is a whale of a fight, but I've seen some big fish beat in no time on heavy gear, and other than making for a nice picture it's pretty hohum to me.

Edited by porkpie

I started with and learned how to cast quite well with RH baitcasters, because that was what was available. As soon as leftys became readily available, I switched. You can put all the pomp and circumstance on it that you like, fact is you will naturally do better with a reel that you are more comfortable with in your hand, be that right or left. As for musky gear, I sold all my crap years ago. But it was mainly 6501 C3's. They we're decent reels, but I just lost interest in musky. I wouldn't think twice about even the lower priced line of st croix. Excellent rods. The odd time I get the itch now and again, I just break out my slop rod, and it does just fine for kawartha muskies. I have to be honest, the only reason to use heavy tackle in my opinion is due to heavy baits. I never particulary enjoyed cranking in a 45 inch plus fish on 80lb test. I've never fished the areas that turn out 50lbers though. I've caught some nice fish incidentally on light line while pickerel fishing in the spring, and that is a whale of a fight, but I've seen some big fish beat in no time on heavy gear, and other than making for a nice picture it's pretty hohum to me.

i dont think anyone is going to debate that catching a 40 inch fish on a medium action spinning rod is a good time, it also kills fish...

I am reluctant to answer because the lefties have already decided the issue. Obviously they are right because it feels more natural to them after years of spinning. It would probably be pretentious if I were to point out that this feeling goes away once they learn how to cast.

However, on the slim hope that there are still some open minds, I will try one last time.

1: YES you can use the lefty canted to the side, but the left-hand reel's handle is then pointing down and in...Toward your sleeve, coat or belly etc. Murphy's Law tells us that sooner or later you will accidently drop the reel into gear...What happens next depends on your grip, the weight of your lure and the strength of your line.

2: Because of this, many casters will choose or over time start to hold the reel level. This puts the reel handle where they want it. It seems natural, feels good etc. However, it will shorten their cast because they can't flex their wrist as far.

3: Since there is no switching of hands, during or after the cast, how do you get a palm grip on the reel? The answer is you don't...By not palming the reel you put undo stress on your wrists as you crank. This becomes more pronounced as the water resistance of the bait increases.

This is mechanics x 2, creating torque with gears and the design of the human wrist.

Thanks for describing it. Never thought about it that way but will look at what i do once software season comes.

Garry I am trying to keep an open mind but I just dont see any of these three points applying to the way I cast.

First let me state that I am a left handed in just about everything I do. Batting, writing, hockey you name it. I am pretty awkward doing any of those things right-handed so even if the way I cast is technically incorrect the comfort advantage outweighs any mechanical advantage I may gain doing it right.

I cast two handed (I havent casted one handed since the 80s and pistol grips) with the rod over my right shoulder and (lefty) reel handle pointed straight up at the sky. My right hand is palming the reel and my left is holding the rod at the butt. It all acts as a sort of pendulum during the cast. By the end of the cast the handle is pointed straight down at the water and my right arm (and thus the reel) is extended. I have never had the handle engage the gear, likely for two reasons, one of my reels has a lever drag which also engages/disengages the gear so turning the handle with the gear disengaged does nothing (ok so that one is cheating and I wish all my reels had a lever drag instead of star but that's a different topic) but more importantly the reel is so far out in front of me that there's nothing for the handles to catch. I'd have to grow my gut by a lot of inches Hahah. That makes point 2 = not applicable. Finally, I am palming the reel 100% of the time, and maybe I am not understanding why you'd suggest otherwise. So much so that I get "Abu 7001 claw" and switch up on occasion to holding the foregrip of the rod instead of the reel while I retrieve.

Edited by Raf