A bad day at the Bassmaster Classic

kickingfrog

http://www.bassmaster.com/video/geico-bassmaster-classic-presented-gopro-basscam

A very high percentage of larger lakes here in the states are man made, and the weather has been brutal for a lot of areas here.

LOL in places like South Carolina or Georgia an inch of snow causes panic! Long pants and coats can go on if it drops below 70!

before sponsors ruled the water, the bassmaster classic had much better rules.

the contestants didn't know what lake they were going to until up in the air, on the way to the lake.

each contestant used the exact same boat and motor.

each contestant used the exact same amount of weight of tackle.

there was no prefishing

there was no "buying guide info" from locals who are allowed to fish while the contestants are not.

but today, sponsors need to be shown. they need to make their money.

as such, the anglers are slaves to the sponsors.

oh well, still fun to watch.....

Bass tournaments have brought many good things to fishing. The widespread use of catch and release, aerators in live wells, widespread use of kill switches, Wearing PFD's while operating under power, better boats, and much better tackle to name just a few.

At the same time, money and competition can lead to naked aggression. There was an incident in January where two boats collided violently while waiting to enter a lock. The anglers exchanged words, then got into a scuffle and both had to be fished out of the water...

As others have already said, this isn't what many of us want out of a day of fishing.

I enjoyed the few smaller walleye tournies Ive done. Its a great place to mingle afterwards too.

But it is stressful thats for sure. And the money.

Ive pretty much broke even which is pretty darn good when you factor everything in.

Id never be able to tournement fish for a living.

but id suggest you try it once.

now back on topic, that article is hilarious??

I thought that article was great! If the temp dips below 11 degrees, you better beleive I am wearing cold wheatger gear.

I enjoy both fishing for fun and tournament fishing. I will never do it for a living and don't take it as seriously as others but I do enjoy competing against others. I've joined a local BASS club this year and will be doing 7 tournaments because I love the challenge as well as the camradery that comes with tournament fishing. You can be in the zone and only concentrating on catching fish but once the weigh in is done, it all about having some fun with your competitors.

I watched the live feed on and off today and it was pretty cool. Congrats to Casy Ashley for winning the Super Bowl of fishing!

Adam

Spent the day with the big race on the TV and Bassmaster on the Ipad.

"If they made it the green" I think Lagonno and Harvick would have wrecked and Jr wins on the high side. O well lunch bag let down.

The live feed was cool spent the time critiquing the anglers with couple buddy's. We are diffidently better anglers.

The fun in tournaments for me is taking the bruises then taking my skills apart and getting better. I never dwelled on the negative's of tournament fishing if I weight 8 lbs it's my fault.