New Moose Regs - Hmmmmmmm

TJQ

anders great post I firmly believe in harvest and eat. the one thing is to me . bears and other critters not put in check. like said before black bears have created a way into the whole scenario. the mnr and parliament just cant wrap there heads around a problem they have created.. as for the bling. I had a lee enfield 303.. killed bullwinkles just fine lol

Edited by outlaw

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to do about a failing moose population??

I hunt for food. No bling involved whatsoever. I probably have the cheapest kit possible, but I'm the same with fishing. Cheap and effective. Its the camraderie, the sunrises, sunsets, time with family, friends and kids......there is so much more to hunting than killing something. If your caught up in the bling, your being blinded by it.

S.

Doug hit the nail on the head.. we spend 2 weeks in the bush in a trailer that is comfortable but not fancy. We bow hunt so we don't meet up with many others while out there and we can go years without shooting one. The point is getting out and slowing down for a couple of weeks. I wish the MNR had a better strategy for moose management than what we have now...

back to m2b2: YES moose populations are in decline across most of their traditional Ontario range, and have been for some time now. If you are not now a moose hunter, this might be the time for you to start if you have a healthy population up there!

Doug

back to Rod Caster..........the HUNTERS who spend their time money and effort to go hunt moose are saying that there aren't a heck of a lot of moose around where there used to be. It is surely possible that the moose have moved or are thriving in different areas, but there are not a lot of eyeballs saying that they have seen this.....as far as I am hearing.

Doug

when did the mag reserve boys run a net across the bay ?

Good luck winning the native debate. Not far from when they strung a gill net across byng inlet during the walley spawn. shoot a deer, they are easier.

Canada still allows polar bears to be shot too. IMO any further conservation efforts are good ones, no one actually hunting moose relies on their meat as their soul food source anyways. Pay to play as normal.

This makes me laugh " overly restrictive and could result in crowding and poor hunt quality while making it difficult for hunters to accommodate fluctuations in weather, work schedules and hunting preferences. "

That said, and you are correct.... Is not what hunting was meant to be.... It was to put food on the table.

Now it's about bling, camp patterns etc.... Anything to sell something....

Consumerism.

G

Tried to ignore this...but can't...sorry but that's astoundingly ignorant. Try telling that to anyone in any small northern community where the fall moose/deer/bear hunt is a rite of passage, and an important family gathering that doesn't have a damn thing to do with consumerism, flashy gear or anything of the like. To generalize the entire hunting community like that is pretty ridiculous, not to mention downright false.

i think why the moose count seems to be low, or why hunters are not seeing more like they use to, is due to logging. in the past most hunts were done around clear cuts, new and old logging roads etc. with the decline in the wood industry here in Ontario we have seen an almost dead stop in logging. That being said hunters are now forced to hunt roads, and the chance of seeing them in a 25 foot long corridor surrounded by thick bush......its hard.

But i have a strong belief that the moose numbers around my area are not suffering at all.

I try to show off my 1964 sears and roebuck 30:06 with the cracked stock.. nobody wants to see that "bling" lol.. Huntings much much more than what equipment you have.. lol.. thats only for steelheaders and muskie fishermen!! :tease::whistling::tease::whistling: LOL.. Im gonna get some blowback for that one!! (oh and maybe carp fishermen...)

Says the man who doesn't even need a reel to land a huge musky :lol:

I guess moose populations could be failing across the province. They certainly aren't where I hunt moose. We trip over the darn things and as long as we can get a tag, success seems almost guaranteed. The later season is going to cause problems with wives. Perhaps they could push the deer hunt back a week also.

i think why the moose count seems to be low, or why hunters are not seeing more like they use to, is due to logging. in the past most hunts were done around clear cuts, new and old logging roads etc. with the decline in the wood industry here in Ontario we have seen an almost dead stop in logging. That being said hunters are now forced to hunt roads, and the chance of seeing them in a 25 foot long corridor surrounded by thick bush......its hard.

But i have a strong belief that the moose numbers around my area are not suffering at all.

The MNR's data is based on air counts: helicopter runs. People have told me that they don't count as thoroughly as they used to and that they changed their methods, so the numbers ended up falsely low...I can't confirm that, but it's plausible and given the state of the MNR, almost seems likely.

The MNR's data is based on air counts: helicopter runs. People have told me that they don't count as thoroughly as they used to and that they changed their methods, so the numbers ended up falsely low...I can't confirm that, but it's plausible and given the state of the MNR, almost seems likely.

I have heard that exact same comment from a CO. Bad counts, inexperienced counters, sometimes students and receptioists.

The MNR also use big game surveys and interviews with hunters during the season (and the mandatory reports afterwards). If moose HUNTERS are not seeing moose where they have been hunting for many years, it is likely that moose populations are indeed diminishing in those areas. We also know that when whitetail deer reach a certain population per square mile that they impact on the moose. The deer carry a fatal parasite which does not kill deer, but does kill moose. During the mild spell of winters a few years back, there were big populations of BIG deer in Northern Ontario in locations where deer were not normally present, or not in any great numbers, and they did displace moose in those areas.

I hope MNR gets it right this time,

In response to the hunt being about meat,

I don't go for the meat,if a moose is harvested,great,but it is not the main reason I go.

I started bow hunting 20+ years ago,since then the whole experience has been about having a close encounter with the game.

Allmost nothing gets your blood up like a big bull responding to your call,a moose looks very big at 8yds.

On some years that my group hasn't been lucky enough to get tags,we have still gone to camp & attempted to call in the big guys just for the thrill.