trolling motor batteries

SuperDave

That's what that search box is for up in the top right corner. Been beat to death here...

Buy two 27 series x 1000 CCA deep cycles and be done with it. Don't worry too much about what name is on them.. but Interstate (built by Johnson Controls) has never let me down.

Edited by irishfield

I have two Interstate MegaTrons group 27 deep cycle batteries powering my Minn Kota. Bought them in the spring of 2013. I had one of them fail at the end of last season. Replaced under warranty.

Still consider them excellent batteries. Had a set in my old boat that lasted 5 yrs without any issues.

Lots of.good brands out there deka is my choice. Sold as die hard or powersurge or carquest brand. Lots of peoplebeen more than happy with the kirkland batterys from costco

Dont beat yourself up over it like wayne said get some 27's.

Pick whose convienant to buy from. Carquest costco Peterborough battery green+ross ect all offer a quality product

Had good luck with the Everstarts from Walmart, I think they only have combo Cranking/Deepcycles now but they have worked great for me for 4 seasons...And before that the single I had lasted 5 seasons....Best price too!

And Wayne, if we never talked about something here more than once...It would be pretty boring here...Just sayin'(crusty old....muttering under breath...)

Edited by Pigeontroller

I have two Interstate MegaTrons group 27 deep cycle batteries powering my Minn Kota. Bought them in the spring of 2013. I had one of them fail at the end of last season. Replaced under warranty.

Still consider them excellent batteries. Had a set in my old boat that lasted 5 yrs without any issues.

X2. I run a a 70Lb Pd MK now but over the last 5 seasons they've run both 12 and 24 volt motors and having to add water to one cell once in those 5 years is the only hiccup.

While doing my battery hunt 2 years ago I found out that Johnson Controls manufactures almost 70% of all batteries sold in North America. It did then. Many labels, same company.

I had 1 deep cell go after 1 year that was paired with a second for 24V, they replaced 1 not 2, no issues so far.

for 24v bow mount TM users, has anyone gone less than group 27 and notice any issues with battery capacity and performance??

Reason being for my 70lb MK I got two group 27 on my bow and its really weighing down my 16' tinny (tiller). Anyone advise against downsizing batteries?

Edited by finatic

either go with the lighter and more expensive optimas or get a 12v 55 pd TM it'll be more than enough to push a 16' tinny around. you can also try moving your batteries around to see if it helps. i would think group 24s wouldn't last very long.

i'm paronoid about 55lb when i fish detroit river and niagara...in 30km winds...lol...but in any other situation i get 90-95% remaining battery with 2 X group 27's after a normal days use (around 2-3 speed level all day). Hence I would think a step down/smaller batteries should still suffice...unless i'm wrong?

not to pirate this thread - but how can you tell if your deep cell is starting to go / under performing - especially if you have two of them working together i.e. How do you know if only one of them is giving up the ghost ? I don't think they can do the same test on a deep cell that they do on a regular cranking battery ? thanks.

Have them load tested... or buy your own tester for 30 bucks the next time they go on for 1/2 price at CTC.

What seems like a perfectly good battery.. with full voltage.. charges.. starts things.. may have almost no CCA left in it, as I found was the case with my sled battery last week. Charged... started the machine but if a hard start it just couldn't do it. Absolutely no CCA left.... ZERO on the tester after even 3 seconds vs 600 CCA on the new one after 10 seconds.